How much should I tip guide.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much should I tip guide.

I have a buck hunt coming up that I won and do not have a clue what I should tip my guide.
    The hunt was a $2500 2 days buck hunt.

Thankyou all !

10-15%.

Comment

I would plan on $300. Adjust up or down from there depending on performance.

Comment

I agree with $300 on a $2,500 hunt if he’s a good guide.

Comment

Kinda depends on the situation for me. I've never paid to hunt, but when I've been guided on fishing trips I generally tip more if there's a low-paid deckhand helping out. If it's the owner of the boat, and I'm already paying him several hundred dollars for his services I'll generally tip a lower amount. And of course the quality of the service should play a major role in your tip.

Comment

To me it all depends on what all he does. When I was guiding, I was the cook, the hunting guide and the maid. Just a guide on a $2500 hunt 200-300 depending on how well he does.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
              10-15%.
              Yep, when I ran pronghorn hunts a tip was much appreciated

Comment

I'd say $150-$200 per hunt, and another $50 if you're successful and they clean/qtr your deer.

Comment

If he is a glorified chauffer or babysitter, less than $300. If he is working hard and spending most or all of the day with you then up from $300. You will know when it is all said and done. Congrats on winning a hunt!

Comment

Do you guys think that 10-15% goes across the board, so if you go pay $10,000 to kill a deer, are you expected to tip that same 10-15%? Never done it, but I am now curious.

Comment

Originally posted by breederbuck33 View Post
                      Do you guys think that 10-15% goes across the board, so if you go pay $10,000 to kill a deer, are you expected to tip that same 10-15%? Never done it, but I am now curious.
                      If you are paying 10k for a hunt, I doubt you are worried about a larger tip. With that being said, I dont think the 10% is relevant past a certain point.

Comment

Originally posted by bcuda View Post
                        I have a buck hunt coming up that I won and do not have a clue what I should tip my guide.
                        The hunt was a $2500 2 days buck hunt.

Thankyou all !
                        Meet the guide and ask if he will be your guide the entire trip. If he seems legit and good then tip him $50-100 right there and tell him there's more depending on how big of a buck he puts you on. May work.

But lots of factors... Did he pre-scout for you? Does he talk to you and get details of what type of buck you'd like to shoot, what type of areas you like to hunt (thick, fields, in a tree, along creek etc). Did he move you quickly when you didn't care for an area? Offer mid day sit? Lots of factors.

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
                          I would plan on $300. Adjust up or down from there depending on performance.
                          This.

Comment

Tip the cook as well . When we would guide the cook was working non stop in the kitchen either prepping, cooking or cleaning (breakfast, lunch and dinner). I would bet the cook works harder than the guide.

Comment

Every hunt I've been on I've where I've had a legit guide that did a good job 10% was left. Even on a 6 figure hunt to Africa.

Comment

Working...
                              X