Why are weather apps so wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are weather apps so wrong?

Is it not logical to think that weather apps make money just like most other internet sites. More clicks=more money?

So when there's a chance of rain they bump the chance way high 5-8 days out and then lower closer to real odds as the possible rain nears?

I see this happen almost every single time. 30-50% chance of rain 7 days out slowly changes to 90-100% chance of rain about 3 days out and then down to 0-10% the day it was supposed to rain.

Just yesterday at 8:30pm they had rain ALL day today 60-90%. I woke up at 5am and they took all rain out of the forcast for today

You're asking about folks that go stand in a hurricane in front of a camera to tell you it's raining and windy.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
      Is it not logical to think that weather apps make money just like most other internet sites. More clicks=more money?

So when there's a chance of rain they bump the chance way high 5-8 days out and then lower closer to real odds as the possible rain nears?

I see this happen almost every single time. 30-50% chance of rain 7 days out slowly changes to 90-100% chance of rain about 3 days out and then down to 0-10% the day it was supposed to rain.

Just yesterday at 8:30pm they had rain ALL day today 60-90%. I woke up at 5am and they took all rain out of the forcast for today
      I guess I could have put this as one of my pet peeves on the pet peeve thread. So aggravating!

Comment

WeatherBug app is useless

Comment

All weathermen suck as far as I’m concerned but in this instance I’m truly happy we didn’t get anywhere near what they were calling for. The forecast was for 4-7 inches and we got a little over an 1 3/4’s, we needed a little rain but 7”s would have been devastating on our season up here in the river bottoms.

I’ve come to the conclusion that they way over predict in order to get more views and to draw more Interest to the situation,, aka money/attention “bad word” looking to make a splash.

Comment

You know this happens yet you are still surprised by it?!

I think they rely solely on computer mods and they are only so accurate on the location of where the rain will hit….

I wonder how the old school weatherman did the forecast, or was it only two or three days out?

Comment

Tim there is not one person that can predict Mother Nature- If they could the name would change to father nature

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                Tim there is not one person that can predict Mother Nature- If they could the name would change to father nature
                That's funny

Comment

Originally posted by Kong View Post
                  All weathermen suck as far as I’m concerned but in this instance I’m truly happy we didn’t get anywhere near what they were calling for. The forecast was for 4-7 inches and we got a little over an 1 3/4’s, we needed a little rain but 7”s would have been devastating on our season up here in the river bottoms.

I’ve come to the conclusion that they way over predict in order to get more views and to draw more Interest to the situation,, aka money/attention “bad word” looking to make a splash.
                  Its better to over predict on a weather event than under estimate it for safety reasons. Glad y'all didn't get the 7" of rain.

Comment

Tim this has been a long standing argument here. Wife watches local news and comes to a decision about todays weather and I watch a weather station 2 blocks from the house. The guy on Fox is reporting on an area from Conroe to Galveston and does a very generic report. My station is always different and usually right.
                    We live just south of downtown and the buildings break up most fronts coming in from the north. North of I10 is almost always different from South of I10 - fronts, rain fall, temps, etc.
                    I want to know how a weather ststion at a school 2 blocks over can make todays guess??
                    I use weather bug to connect to the school...

Comment

Weatherman and politician are the only two jobs you can be wrong EVERY SINGLE DAY and still get paid.

Comment

LOL

I brought this up because I thought..Geez it's literally impossible to be wrong every single time!

I think it has to be a type of click bait.

Comment

Hah! Snarkiness becomes you.

Comment

Because it’s an educated, scientific WAG. You know…kinda like the science we keep hearing about all the time.

Comment

God has a sense of humor. He sees the weather forecast too. If I was him I would swap it up also.

Comment

Working...
                              X