Liver Recipe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liver Recipe

Wanting to try liver out. Never was a meal we ate growing up, but hear of all the good health benefits. What’s a good, easy recipe to try out for a newbie organ-eater?? Venison, beef… chicken? What’s tastes best… better??

Me, raw, to the catfish that is. Yuck to me....

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

Love me some liver!! Here is how I cook it up.

I take 3-4 strips of bacon and shop them up. I cook the bacon in a large skillet. Once the bacon has cooked up I remove the bacon leaving the fat in the pan. I will then fry up the thinly sliced liver pieces… once the liver is nice and brown on both sides I add onions, bell peppers and jalapeños along with the cooked bacon bits. once the veggies are cooked through I will add 1-2 tomatoes that have been blended into a liquid state… at this point I season with salt. Once the tomatoe “sauce”start to boil I turn burner down to low and cover the the pan. the tomatoes will turn into a gravy like mixture. Last thing I like to do is add some cherry tomatoes that I first slice in half…. I let those cook in for a few minutes and it’s done…
      Last edited by Pedernal; 10-14-2021, 01:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
        Love me some liver!! Here is how I cook it up.

I take 3-4 strips of bacon and shop them up. I cook the bacon in a large skillet. Once the bacon has cooked up I remove the bacon leaving the fat in the pan. I will then fry up the thinly sliced liver pieces… once the liver is nice and brown on both sides I add onions, bell peppers and jalapeños along with the cooked bacon bits. once the veggies are cooked through I will add 1-2 tomatoes that have been blended into a liquid state… at this point I season with salt. Once the tomatoe “sauce”start to boil I turn burner down to low and cover the the pan. the tomatoes will turn into a gravy like mixture. Last thing I like to do is add some cherry tomatoes that I first slice in half…. I let those cook in for a few minutes and it’s done…
        Bell peppers, jalapeños, bacon grease, onions, tomatoes…… almost enough strong flavors to cover up the taste…. but not quite.

To the OP, if you have never tried it, you might be trying a food that has the true definition of a love it or hate it reputation. There are foods that some people love, some people hate and some people who will eat it but maybe it’s not a favorite.

With liver there seems to be very few people in between. It is either, oh my god that has to be the most disgusting food on the face of the Earth and I will starve to death before I will eat a piece or oh my god, I would kill the person of your choice for a plate of liver and onions.

I would venture to guess about 85% of the people fall in the, I can’t stand it category.

For those that love it, awesome. In wish I did but it is one of the very few foods (maybe only) that I cannot eat and in most cases love.

To the OP, I wish you luck. Maybe if we fall on hard times, you will be in at 15% that can live on all the extra liver.

Comment

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
          Bell peppers, jalapeños, bacon grease, onions, tomatoes…… almost enough strong flavors to cover up the taste…. but not quite.

To the OP, if you have never tried it, you might be trying a food that has the true definition of a love it or hate it reputation. There are foods that some people love, some people hate and some people who will eat it but maybe it’s not a favorite.

With liver there seems to be very few people in between. It is either, oh my god that has to be the most disgusting food on the face of the Earth and I will starve to death before I will eat a piece or oh my god, I would kill the person of your choice for a plate of liver and onions.

I would venture to guess about 85% of the people fall in the, I can’t stand it category.

For those that love it, awesome. In wish I did but it is one of the very few foods (maybe only) that I cannot eat and in most cases love.

To the OP, I wish you luck. Maybe if we fall on hard times, you will be in at 15% that can live on all the extra liver.
          Never say never this recepie has been eaten by people that swore they would starve before eating liver. most said the liver they ate before must have been bad and as proof most cleaned their plate to the point it almost didn't need to get washed...

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
            Never say never this recepie has been eaten by people that swore they would starve before eating liver. most said the liver they ate before must have been bad and as proof most cleaned their plate to the point it almost didn't need to get washed...
            Well maybe you finally did find enough strong flavors to cover up the taste of liver.

It kind of reminds me of the hundred or so threads on TBH.

What do I do with this maybe less desirable meat? You can almost count the seconds go by until someone answers, cut it in small pieces and wrap it in cream cheese, jalapeño and bacon…..

I am glad if you can turn some people on to liver. Maybe the hatred level will go down to about 83%.

And I hope peterp63 loves it.

Comment

Originally posted by peterp63 View Post
              Wanting to try liver out. Never was a meal we ate growing up, but hear of all the good health benefits. What’s a good, easy recipe to try out for a newbie organ-eater?? Venison, beef… chicken? What’s tastes best… better??
              And although I don’t eat it, I understand that chicken and goose have a milder flavor. Supposedly some people they don’t like beef or pork liver, love chicken liver so that might be a start.

Comment

I'll eat a runny fried egg before I would eat liver.

Comment

I'm in the 15% that like eating liver.
                  I've tried deer liver a few times as well, and it's good, too.

Comment

Sauté onions then set then aside, batter the liver like you would a chicken fried steak and then fry when it’s a light golden brown remove from the grease and in another skillet make a big batch of gravy and add the onions and chicken fried liver all together and simmer. This is meal is a favorite at deer camp.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoyt Man View Post
                      Sauté onions then set then aside, batter the liver like you would a chicken fried steak and then fry when it’s a light golden brown remove from the grease and in another skillet make a big batch of gravy and add the onions and chicken fried liver all together and simmer. This is meal is a favorite at deer camp.

Like a brown gravy made from stock or a white milk gravy?

I’ve only ever had a fried chicken liver or two ever. I like trying different foods and need to make liver at least once to rule it in or out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Brown gravy made from stock

Comment

If your gonna try it take my advice and get calf liver. Big difference in taste and tenderness over beef liver
                          Cook the way hoyt man said. It is an acquired taste

Comment

Good way to ruin a perfectly good onion.

Comment

Originally posted by DFWPI View Post
                              Yuck to me....
                              Same here. Every once in a while I'll try something new to see if it makes it work. I never get past the first bite.

Comment

Working...
                              X