No announcement yet.

Middle of North Texas Hunting Thread....Season 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forecast is looking better and better and wind will be perfect for me. Got a decent one showing up most every morning and evening. Camera hasn’t sent any pics of him since yesterday morning but I’m sure I’ll get a look at him before the weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Go get em Ryan!

Hope everything is ok Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
        Go get em Ryan!

Hope everything is ok Mike.

Not going as expected so far but glad to be back in a stand.

Shooter came in but couldn’t get a shot. Something seemed off so they didn’t stay but 5-10 mins although the wind seemed to be in my favor. Not long after that my feeder went off and a deer starts to blow 100 yards away.

Hope everyone else is having better luck.

Comment

Got a nice quartering away shot on this [emoji203] this morning

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Comment

Waiting for feeders to go off in young county.
            Wife and son saw some nice young bucks this am. Target deer were absent. Hopefully a pig or 2 show up this evening.

Comment

About 30 minutes after I made that post above the 3 bucks circled and all hopped in the pen like nothing ever happened. Got on target and lined up the broadside/maybe slightly quartering away shot and let one fly. It felt good and he darted like a rocket bulldozing his way through everything in his path for 40-50 yards. I couldn’t see him but he made a lot of noise tearing through the small mesquites and then circled back the other way running out behind me into a small opening where I thought he would go down based on the commotion he made. I could see the exit hole and shot appeared okay to me from 50 yards away(maybe a tad high if anything but still good). He kept running and after probably 150-200 yards of total running he hopped a cross fence out of sight.

I waited a little and got down to inspect where I hit him. Full pass through with pretty good blood on the arrow but very little on the ground. I still felt good about everything though. No meat or guts on the arrow.

I went back to the cabin and anxiously waited. I gave him about 2.5 hours before I loaded up to look for him. I finally found more on the ground about 350 yards out that looked darker like a liver hit. I rounded a cedar only to bust him up and see him take off hard. I backed out and called for dogs that came the next morning, 24 hours after the shot. No luck and the dogs didn’t show any interest on the track.

We searched for 2-3 hours more on foot finding more blood about 580 yards away from the initial site. About 150-200 yards further in I bumped a good buck that looked like him but I only got a brief glimpse from 30 yards as he sprinted away. Not 100% sure but I’m guessing this was him. He took off running hard so hoping I hit him in no man’s land and he’ll make it just fine.

The highs and lows of hunting…

Comment

Going back tomorrow evening to sit when it’s 90*.

Mainly going out to search for that buck on Saturday. No pics of him so far but did get a nice surprise with an exotic the last two days.

Comment

Awesome thread with lots of nice bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Ryan81 View Post
                    Going back tomorrow evening to sit when it’s 90*.

Mainly going out to search for that buck on Saturday. No pics of him so far but did get a nice surprise with an exotic the last two days.

Best of luck brother

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
                      Best of luck brother
                      Sorry to hear about your loses Mike. I will be praying for your family brother.

Comment

I am heading out early Sat morning. Right on time at our lease, I am bringing two new hay ring bow blinds to roll out. Replacing a feeder! Fixing another bow blind that blew 600 yards from where it is supposed to be. Not much hunting gonna be done. Oh well it will be good for Nov-Dec.

Comment

Me and Snoop are heading out mid day tomorrow with his crossbow to sweat, and see what happens….

I feel wholly unprepared to take a 10 year old archery hunting…

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                            Me and Snoop are heading out mid day tomorrow with his crossbow to sweat, and see what happens….

I feel wholly unprepared to take a 10 year old archery hunting…

Snoop will be fine. You just relax and enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                              Sorry to hear about your loses Mike. I will be praying for your family brother.
                              Thanks Dave. I hope to get into the field in 3 weeks or so for some therapy.

Comment

I've sat 4 times so far and seen deer every sit, I've 3 different 3.5-4.5 yo 10 pts with great potential. Getting in a blind after work today despite the heat and then will give it hell this weekend again as well. I'm trying my best to get on a good buck before these bachelor groups completely break up, best of luck to everyone this weekend!

Comment

Working...
                                X