No announcement yet.

TBH Bee Keepers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unusual bee removal today. These built their hive inside a cardboard box! It was in the back of a guy’s workshop and they were coming and going through an open garage door! They had chewed through the outside of the box and built comb there as well but when I moved the bow the entire hive came with it

Last edited by rjtkdplus; 07-22-2021, 03:45 PM.

Comment

Hive in a shed near Austin

All of the comb on the left is filled with honey, also the first 6 rows on the right. 68 lbs! Great workout too, approximately 50 trips up the ladder to get it all down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rjtkdplus View Post

All of the comb on the left is filled with honey, also the first 6 rows on the right. 68 lbs! Great workout too, approximately 50 trips up the ladder to get it all down.

Nice job!

Comment

How high are your county’s standards for Ag exemption? How detailed do they want to get?

Comment

Originally posted by rjtkdplus View Post

This is cool!

Comment

rj, you are rocking! The hive in a box is pretty cool. Then you get 68lbs of honey? Wow

Comment

Originally posted by Biggs View Post
                How high are your county’s standards for Ag exemption? How detailed do they want to get?
                I have hives in 3 different counties. Caldwell county just looked at them from the road, 100 yards away. LaSalle county hasn’t checked them at all. Hays county had their “inspector” come out and look at all the hives to confirm they had bees in them.

Comment

Still looking for someone to put a hive on our place In cuero and In Gonzales!

Comment

I built a bee vac today. It didn’t go as originally planned. My 20v Dewalt vacuum just doesn’t have the suction needed to overcome the leaks.
                    So I had to go with a bigger old vacuum my dad had laying around. I based my design on a modified Colorado Bee Vac.
                    Testing in the morning on a water meter hive. Hopefully this one goes better than my last water meter hive removal.

Comment

I pulled two water meter hives and relocated a hive in an Owl Box.

Comment

Looks like it went a little better this time.

Comment

One of the water meter colonies I pulled this last weekend (I am not sure I got the queen) swarmed from their box. I am not sure if coincidence or not but one of my nearby hives population seemingly exploded! I was watching this colony to add another hive body already and yesterday I noticed a thousand bees hanging out at the entrance.

Do queenless bee colonies ever join with other hives?

Comment

One of the water meter colonies I pulled this last weekend (I am not sure I got the queen) swarmed from their box. I am not sure if coincidence or not but one of my nearby hives population seemingly exploded! I was watching this colony to add another hive body already and yesterday I noticed a thousand bees hanging out at the entrance.

Yep. I had the same thing happen to one of my hives this past Spring.

Comment

I just took ten frames off twelve hives.
                              Extended family was asking for some so I pinched a bit.
                              8 of those hives are doubles and six singles with a feeder in each
                              So 10 frames out of 188 were pulled.
                              It's so hot and dry in going to mix of 50lbs of sugar water and give it to em until the Golden Rod gets here

Comment

One of the water meter colonies I pulled this last weekend (I am not sure I got the queen) swarmed from their box. I am not sure if coincidence or not but one of my nearby hives population seemingly exploded! I was watching this colony to add another hive body already and yesterday I noticed a thousand bees hanging out at he entrance.

My B&L and I have kicked off a bee operation, up to nine hives now. We had one small hive and another that was queenless. We stacked the boxes with a thin newspaper in between, so they slowly got introduced to the queen as they ate through the paper. Doing real well now!

Most of our hives are feral, with a bit of africanized (mean sh*ts). They are pretty hard workers, so using them to build out frames so we can do some splits. Just did a split on a few of them and introduced Russian bred queens. We've checked those hives and saw our queens, plus saw lots of new larva. Plan is to keep building our program this way for now.

Comment

Working...
                                X