2021-22 east texas season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
    Those of y’all with experience hunting planted pines, hoping y’all can help me out. The new lease I’m on is 90%+ planted pines. Some harvested areas, but very little patches of hard woods on the property. I set up a feeder in an oak flat covered in white oaks several weeks ago but nothing is coming to the feeder yet. I assume this spot won’t have any traffic until acorns start falling? I’m kind of assuming that and hoping I’m right. Everything is pretty green out there so I’m sure there is tons of browse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Correct they won’t start hitting the oak flats till acorns start hitting the ground

Comment

Originally posted by corps2010 View Post
      I feel like you would see more bucks in general if you took the tripod feeders down. Instead, mow out that pipeline as wide as you can, then hang the feeders in the air using one of the tree limbs that's hanging out over the ROW.
      Rent a disc and plant the ROW's around October 20th with Buck Forage oats. Get you a couple of bags of rice bran and dump a couple of piles out on that ROW as well
      Originally posted by drop dead fred View Post
      X2 plus every etx deer in the world will bust you in that tripod stand that close and out in the open… not to be rude just tryin to help out [emoji1374]

Originally posted by JhuntsAlot View Post
      Definitely making it more challenging. Going to limit your movement.

Might be able to clear out more brush to the right and tuck it behind that to at least help a little. But then your shooting area and lane will be less.

J
      Originally posted by Preacher Man View Post
      Not trying to be negative or anything, but I agree with everyone else above. That tripod is way too far out in the open. Jamming it in some of that thick stuff would be way better.

You don’t need a disc to plant food plots. You’ll want some kind of a chemical spray rig. Spray that lane, wait a week or two to make sure you get a good kill, then broadcast the seed. Then mow over. There’s a bunch of good threads on here. Good luck
      I appreciate all of the feedback. I will definitely move the tripod or set a pop-up in that hole I mowed out. A pop-up might be better in that spot. I backed the brush hog in there as far as I could get it. There's a big creek right behind the tripod and I have to cross the creek to get to that spot. It is very snaky.

I actually considered hand corning only but I live 4.5 hours away and would not be able to keep corn on the ground all of the time.
      Last edited by U.S.ArmyRetired; 08-09-2021, 01:33 PM. Reason: More info.

Comment

Looking for a new place

I caught a stroke of bad luck and lost my place near Grapeland a few days ago. Landowner is selling and the buyer isn't playing ball. I figure it is a long shot but if anyone knows of any properties available north or west of Houston please let me know. We are a really easy going, family oriented group.

Comment

Corn feeders in E Texas are only good for drawing in hogs, which in turn, will run off your deer.

That is, unless you put a LARGE feed pen around the feeder.

After all this, you will still have deer that avoid the feeder like the plague.

Comment

I don't have much to work with as far as hanging those big feeders. I live 4.5 hours away. I make it there about once a month, sometimes once every 2 months as mentioned above. I do have a couple of small bucket hanging feeders that hold about 40# of corn but the corn would not last.

Comment

Originally posted by U.S.ArmyRetired View Post
              I don't have much to work with as far as hanging those big feeders. I live 4.5 hours away. I make it there about once a month, sometimes once every 2 months as mentioned above. I do have a couple of small bucket hanging feeders that hold about 40# of corn but the corn would not last.
              Nothing wrong with your setup I can see other than no cover around the tripod. I would move it further into the brush (considering prevailing wind direction) and THEN trim only the limbs needed to get a clear shot. Ideally, you will have just a hole to shoot through and plenty of cover to break up your outline. Consider what it will look like when the leaves are gone too. May want to add the popup for a different wind direction.

The really smart old bucks may avoid the feeder, but they occasionally slip up and follow a doe in. Downwind from the feeder in heavy cover is a good place to intercept them as they come by scent checking for does.

Comment

Those of y’all with experience hunting planted pines, hoping y’all can help me out. The new lease I’m on is 90%+ planted pines. Some harvested areas, but very little patches of hard woods on the property. I set up a feeder in an oak flat covered in white oaks several weeks ago but nothing is coming to the feeder yet. I assume this spot won’t have any traffic until acorns start falling? I’m kind of assuming that and hoping I’m right. Everything is pretty green out there so I’m sure there is tons of browse.

My lease is 90% planted pines also. My primary location is on a creek loaded with white oaks. It is great hunting when the oaks are dropping heavily, with deer hitting them every hour of the day. Unfortunately, the past few years have had poor acorn production.

Have a backup spot for when there are no acorns. The new growth in cleared or mowed areas will often draw deer, especially later in the season. Early season look for American Beautyberry bushes...they love those clusters of purple berries. Corn feeders or hand corn do well too...especially for hogs.

Comment

The one I was on a while back about fit that description pretty well. Its tough when its mainly just pine. We all put our set ups in the little hardwoods we had on the place like you would think, but just seemed like the deer were not there in the hardwoods consistent enough to hunt. All the deer that were taken were spot and stalk in the pines alleys/lanes. Good Luck!

Comment

As others have stated they will show up when the acorns start falling. It took me 2 years before I found my spots. We have close 2000 acres of planted pines plus sections of hardwoods. Me being the only bow hunter has worked hard for the deer I have on camera. Honestly I / we kill a bunch of pigs. I love hunting those pigs.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                      Corn feeders in E Texas are only good for drawing in hogs, which in turn, will run off your deer.

Not true for all east Texas

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post

I agree.

I have read several threads that have said a small pen will work also.

J

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post

I second this. I have plenty of pictures that tell a different story.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post

This wins dumbest and most untrue statement I’ve read today.

Comment

Originally posted by manwitaplan View Post
                              As others have stated they will show up when the acorns start falling. It took me 2 years before I found my spots. We have close 2000 acres of planted pines plus sections of hardwoods. Me being the only bow hunter has worked hard for the deer I have on camera. Honestly I / we kill a bunch of pigs. I love hunting those pigs.

I’ll mainly be bowhunting this area. It’s set up really nicely for it. Seems like bucks that live on pine plantations don’t really have a home, they just kind of wander around lol

Comment

We're going to have a number of feeders, blinds, and one way-too-nice hunting cabin for sale near Grapeland. PM for more info.

Originally posted by SteveTX View Post
                                I caught a stroke of bad luck and lost my place near Grapeland a few days ago. Landowner is selling and the buyer isn't playing ball. I figure it is a long shot but if anyone knows of any properties available north or west of Houston please let me know. We are a really easy going, family oriented group.

Comment

Working...
                                X