Ashby on the Meateater podcast.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeeter View Post
    Absolutely. With so many factors, wouldn't you want to do everything to increase your odds?
    Yes, but don't go overboard. I'm a 26.5 draw. People shooting 28" do not have the same issues as I do. Assuming the same bow.

But I am and I do still teach how to improve penetration potential. But mass is not the first thing I look at.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
      Yes, but don't go overboard. I'm a 26.5 draw. People shooting 28" do not have the same issues as I do. Assuming the same bow.

But I am and I do still teach how to improve penetration potential. But mass is not the first thing I look at.
      I'm at 27.5" draw length. Mass, BH, shot placement, all factor in, not just mass.

Comment

Originally posted by skeeter View Post
        I'm at 27.5" draw length. Mass, BH, shot placement, all factor in, not just mass.
        looking at what you wrote. my order would be.

1 shot placement
        2 BH
        3 mass.

Of course, there is more. I just looked at the three you listed.

Comment

Originally posted by enewman View Post
          looking at what you wrote. my order would be.

1 shot placement
          2 BH
          3 mass.

Of course, there is more. I just looked at the three you listed.
          You nailed number 1. You could break that one down into several parts if you wanted to... Tune your bow. Get consistent with your shot process, especially under pressure. Then just shoot your bow more than worrying about the tinkering. Pick a good spot on an animal and be able to hit it consistently. If you can do that it is pretty hard to fail with the equipment that is out there today.

For the guys that say "I hit him high, but a heavy arrow/with fixed blade broke both his shoulders and it put him down quick" there is several that say "I hit him back but sure glad I was using that Carni-4 (or whatever big mechanical) so it really opened him up and that is why we found him."

Both have legitimate arguments and I like to think like a lot of thing the answer might be somewhere in the middle. Especially with today's technology with arrows and compound bows.
          Last edited by Miller; 08-09-2021, 02:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Miller View Post

For the guys that say "I hit him high, but a heavy arrow/with fixed blade broke both his shoulders and it put him down quick" there is several that say "I hit him back but sure glad I was using that Carni-4 (or whatever big mechanical) so it really opened him up and that is why we found him."

Both have legitimate arguments and I like to think like a lot of thing the answer might be somewhere in the middle. Especially with today's technology with arrows and compound bows.
            I’ve lost 1 deer to a shoulder shot that I probsbly would have gotten with a Ashby type arrow. But I’ve recovered a few hit far back with a big 3 blade mechanical that would have been hairy with a smaller fixed.

6 in one hand half dozen in the other, but I’ve personally seen more deer shot too far back than too far forward

Comment

What stuck with me was his opinion to use the heavy arrow and high FOC to overcome the heavy bone threshold. Coupled with his preference to aim towards the shoulder so that he has a better chance of keeping the arrow in the kill zone if the animal jumps or spins at release. Having the heavy penetration factor means if there is no jump, the arrow will still plow through the shoulder and deliver a lethal hit. I have a hard time disagreeing with that plan of action over risking a gut shot from factors outside of my control. Wouldn't be a factor if deer stood still, but no matter how fast bows get, some will always jump the string.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Ashby on the Meateater podcast.

I just saw on the socials that Troy, aka The Ranch Fairy is gonna be on the Kifaru podcast. Sounds like a good one. And as far as I can tell no one is advocating for anything crazy wise for North American game. Plus 500 with a little more weight forward seems to be common ground.
                Last edited by Stoof; 08-10-2021, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, will check it out

Comment

Working...
                  X