The official 2021 APR TBH special

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txagyotebuster View Post
    If i pull the trigger, it would be a option 1, 20" 7mm 08. So it would be really light. I'm guessing with aluminum rings and a 20ish oz scope it would balance well? I was thinking a vx5 3-15 or the vortex LHT 3-15
    That's right in line with my plans.

I'm building a 7 SAUM cut for 180 vlds so it's on a long action.
    Vx6hd 3-18 at 23 ounces so about the same as the vx5. Could save some weight here but there's a long range performance trade-off plus I already have the scope.
    For the 7-08, I'd take a hard look at the 2-12 Vx6hd. If I was after all out weight savings I'd go this route and would have built a short action Sammi spec reamer vs the long throat.
    20 moa rail and hawkins rings. Could save 2-3 ounces by ditching the rail and going talley.

I'm estimating 8.5-9 pounds scoped with suppressor and bipod.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
      Are we able to not have the rail on option 1? Would rather use Hawkins hybrid rings if possible
      This build is on the anti.

The anti-X is the one with a machined in rail.

Comment

Leupold or Swarovski for weight savings and hunting. the BT is fantastic if you stick with one load

Comment

Here's a good deal on a vx6hd 3-18. I'll be using this scope with the TMOA reticle.

The impact 29 is a little busy but is a great reticle.

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
            Are we able to not have the rail on option 1? Would rather use Hawkins hybrid rings if possible

I am planning on just unscrewing pic rail and putting some talleys or Hawkins on myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I need some help deciding on a caliber. Thought I had my mind made up on 300 PRC, but kinda second guessing that.

Interested in 300 prc, 6.5 prc, and the .280 ai.

Always wanted a 30 caliber rifle to sling some heavier bullets, but don’t know if I can justify the 300 prc.. mostly shooting whitetail, mule deer, and hogs.

I already have .243, 6.5 Grendel, .270 Win, and 7mm Mauser.

Any suggestions???

Comment

Originally posted by mev002 View Post
                I need some help deciding on a caliber. Thought I had my mind made up on 300 PRC, but kinda second guessing that.

Always wanted a 30 caliber rifle to sling some heavier bullets, but don’t know if I can justify the 300 prc.. mostly shooting whitetail, mule deer, and hogs.

Any suggestions???

280AI would be my choice of that.

Comment

Any suggestions???

I went with 300WM over the 300PRC or 30 Nosler. Much more factory ammo available (in normal times). From my research, the gains from a 300PRC do not outweigh ammo or brass availability for 300WM in a hunting rifle.

Comment

I went with a 300 win mag in last years special. It is a hammer. Crazy accurate

Comment

Any suggestions???

I strictly reload so I don't worry about factory options.

I went with a 30 nosler a couple years ago and built what's turned into the maverick rifle. It's a ballistic twin to the 300 prc but lacks the marketing genius of hornady. The 30 nosler is really underrated round. Mine is running the 230 berger at 2975 and .5moa to 600. Easy to load for with excellent brass made by adg norma and nosler. Any of the 3 mentioned would be a winner in the 30 cal.

The 280AI would be another great choice, I nearly went that route but went with the 7 saum which again very similar to the ai in performance.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                        That's right in line with my plans.

I'm building a 7 SAUM cut for 180 vlds so it's on a long action.
                        Vx6hd 3-18 at 23 ounces so about the same as the vx5. Could save some weight here but there's a long range performance trade-off plus I already have the scope.
                        For the 7-08, I'd take a hard look at the 2-12 Vx6hd. If I was after all out weight savings I'd go this route and would have built a short action Sammi spec reamer vs the long throat.
                        20 moa rail and hawkins rings. Could save 2-3 ounces by ditching the rail and going talley.

I'm estimating 8.5-9 pounds scoped with suppressor and bipod.

Thinking about the same set up this year. What kind of velocity you hoping to get with the SAUM and the 180’s?

Comment

Just got mine ordered!!! This will be my second APR.
                          6.5PRC 1:8 twist 24” Artic ambush sponge. Can’t wait
                          Thanks Hunter for answering all my questions.

Comment

Originally posted by DRD View Post
                            Thinking about the same set up this year. What kind of velocity you hoping to get with the SAUM and the 180’s?
                            Some very basic playing around with the numbers say the 180s with with the .195 reamer will be 3.1 inches long. With H1k at 20 inches it's looking like 2750 max in QL but I'm reading about as much as 2850-2900 from others in short barrels. I think this is a little high for the round in a 20 inch barrel so take it with a grain of salt. FWIW, QL states 2865 for a 30 Nos and 230 Berger with 83.6 of H1k. Mine is running at 2975 avg after about 150 rounds on the Muller barrel.

I generally approach these builds with a goal in mind factoring this bullet / velocity goal when selecting barrel length or cartridge. This build was planned at 18-22 inches from the start with a short mag variant in mind. I knew going in this wouldn't be a speed demon.

For me it was a 6.5 or 7 mm VLD that would be good for 600 yards at sea level with a minimum impact velocity of 1800 fps.

Per the Berger site, 2650 fps at 100 asl will get me to 775 yards which exceeds the goal.

I considered the WSM line and the Sherman shorts but kept going back to the SAUM due to top quality brass, dies and it's accuracy reputation combined.
                            Last edited by Slick8; 03-02-2021, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Order is in.
                              Option 1
                              20" 7mm08 1/9 twist

Comment

Order is in
                                280ai Sammi
                                25”
                                1-9 twist

Comment

Working...
                                X