No announcement yet.

Menard 2018-2019 season thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This weekend was more what I expected hunting. Lots of deer. Hitting the feed pretty hard.

Comment

It is drying in some areas but anywhere it is flat, still very wet when you break through the crust. Now they are saying that we can expect rain again on Wednesday which will make it extremely difficult to get around this weekend. If it does rain as expected, I recommend that you stay off all unimproved two track roads in a pickup, use UTVs, ATVs only. Good luck and stay safe out there.
      The Hunter's Blowout is this weekend.
      Adios,
      Gary

Comment

Right now, they are predicting about half an inch mid week. If we get that much or more, it will be a mess.
        Adios,
        Gary

Comment

7 days and counting till I come down.

Gary, tell them to hold off on the rain next week. HaHa

I bet Callan Lane is just a rutted mess.

Comment

Callan Lane is a wreck but then so is every county road in Menard County. Yesterday, wunderground was predicting about an inch for today but now they are back to nearly half an inch. If it falls pretty fast, might be better than if it just hangs around all day. Light drizzle falling this morning turning to rain this afternoon. I will give you a report once this front moves through. Hogs are everywhere; they love the wet pastures and cooler temps. A couple of buddies were south of town last weekend and killed 10 with crossbows and Clint killed three from the pickup while trying to check on cows.
            Adios,
            Gary

Comment

I would appreciate an update early next week as I am coming up Wednesday night.
              I guess we are lucky, I have only seen 1 hog in 15 years on our place. That was on a game camera, and was last year.

Comment

We’ve never seen a pig on our place

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan2014 View Post
                  We’ve never seen a pig on our place
                  where are you located in the county? lol im on 125 acres SE side and ive killed 70 or more in the last 3 years 3 last week with my bow, 8-10 coming in at a time

Comment

got back last night from a 4 day hunt and left due the incoming weather. feeder activity was the best I have seen so far this season numbers went from 3/4 deer per sit to 10/12. im gonna say the rain has rotted my acorns I passed on a 125 10 point that took everything I had to hang my bow back on the hanger lol

Comment

Originally posted by DT50 View Post
                      where are you located in the county? lol im on 125 acres SE side and ive killed 70 or more in the last 3 years 3 last week with my bow, 8-10 coming in at a time

My place is about 10 miles north on Callan Lane.
                      Pigs must be staying closer to the river?

Comment

I had about a quarter inch in town yesterday. It was the wettest quarter inch rain that I ever saw, it is extremely wet out there.
                        Adios,
                        Gary

Comment

We are off 190 near Clear Creek Lake and have pigs. Not overran but enough we should be able to shoot a few.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
                            I had about a quarter inch in town yesterday. It was the wettest quarter inch rain that I ever saw, it is extremely wet out there.
                            Adios,
                            Gary
                            Your not kidding, I went down Wednesday because they dropped the chance of rain. Callan lane was absolute soup and had one spot where the water was about a foot deep. Should have taken the truck instead of the Subaru but most places have a bottom you can dig down to.

Starting to see some activity and finally saw some deer that weren't still wearing diapers. I had a nice 10 point come in acting aggressive and chasing does but we're not quite there yet. Forecast is calling for another front and hopefully it will bump the activity some more.

Comment

Heading up tonight.
                              Wish me luck on the hunting....... and the roads.

Comment

Originally posted by Capp35 View Post
                                Heading up tonight.
                                Wish me luck on the hunting....... and the roads.
                                I was out last weekend. Callan ln sucks! it’s dry for the most part except for a few holes. The deer were moving good and had bucks pushing does. I shot a decent 9. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X