Your 2018 Trad Goals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
    Well, my continual goal at this point is to somehow get back to being able to shoot like I did before jacking up the nerve in my neck. In June, it will be 2yrs, and although it is better somewhat, it is still so far behind that there are many days where I just feel like giving up and quitting!!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Sorry to hear it Bisch!! I'm having trouble too and don't have any reason for it. I had been shooting great, then a few weeks ago got into a slump I can't seem to shake. It's so bad I got an inexpensive compound. I'm gonna take a couple weeks off from shooting trad altogether after I get back from Chester and see if maybe that will help. I still shoot decent at 15 and under, but past that if I can put 3 out of 4 arrows in a block target I'm doing good. I'll never give up but I'm definitely gonna have to take a break.

Comment

Get my first trade kill. Deer pig r turkey

Comment

Well we're past the half way point.
        I've put some pigs down.
        Shoot well at 20 and better at 25. 30 is still tough.
        Tuned up and shooting well overall with 50lbs st my dl with a recurve. Got a deposit in for a long bow.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

One of my goals every year is to win longbow or recurve open at Chester or Vanderpool. I won Chester longbow open so I can check that off the list.

For the rest of 2018, my goal is to enjoy/cherish my hunting trips more. I've been focused on kills in the past but with my daughter coming in September it will mean less trips. Hopefully I am blessed with a few shot opportunities this season. Last season there were to few considering all the effort,time, and money.

Comment

Mid year check in.

1. Put last year behind me. Some of it was bad luck... some of it was something else... inexperience maybe or lack of feel perhaps.
            I can honestly say that I'm pretty sure I have put the past in the past. I've taken away from it what I need to take away, and have let go what I don't. I've moved off the old lease and am on a smaller place that is all to myself. I've put a lot of work into it with the wife and kiddos and that really helped reset things.

2. Not have critter killing "goals" for the year. I'm a numbers guy... I am... but for this year, I am not going to have a target number that I am shooting for. I'm just going to go out and kill whatever I can, whenever I can and just roll it with it. Looking back on last year for the times I had my worse miss/recovery rate, I had set some sort of expectation in my mind... multiple deer, multiple turkey, etc. When I just shot at rabbits for fun... the Big Oak hunt, and the TBH hog hunt I had no expectations and was more successful.
            So far so good. I haven't and won't even have any expectations around harvesting a deer this year. New place, new county, new restrictions make it that much more difficult. Just rolling with the punches.

3. Have a successful DIY Elk hunt this fall. By successful, I mean come away feeling like I had a solid chance... enjoyed the trip with my buddies... made lasting memories... learned something... (notice I didn't say kill an Elk... see #2!)
            This is coming up and just around the corner.

4. Fine tune my broadhead setup... Actually try other broadheads. I've had mixed results with my current setup that I have used now for 3 years... I'd like to have better confidence in it.
            I have switched to Simmons Tiger Sharks and couldn't be happier. They were great on Turkeys, Javis, and Pigs so far. I now just use the Zwickeys as backup or arrows for smaller critters like jacks, coons, etc.

5. Complete the 1,000 mile challenge with my ruck.
            I should have been done with this by now. I was on track to finish by Mid May... but that stupid surgery put me behind by more than 2 months. I am sitting at 920 miles in... and should reach that goal within the next few weeks.
            Last edited by SwampRabbit; 07-17-2018, 01:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
              One of my goals every year is to win longbow or recurve open at Chester or Vanderpool. I won Chester longbow open so I can check that off the list.

For the rest of 2018, my goal is to enjoy/cherish my hunting trips more. I've been focused on kills in the past but with my daughter coming in September it will mean less trips. Hopefully I am blessed with a few shot opportunities this season. Last season there were to few considering all the effort,time, and money.
              Congrats again Bob. That is a difficult goal to achieve and a big deal you could check that one off.

I'm in the same boat somewhat this year. Although my new place is closer, I think I will be making shorter trips than I have done before. What I learned from last year is that the natural tendency (for me at least) is to want to rush because of lack in time being out there (perceived or real) and that I really just need to slow down and enjoy the hunt, and let it come to me rather than trying to force it.

Comment

Originally posted by MedicineMan7 View Post
                On the books, 2018 looks to be a crazy year already with lots of adventures ahead including putting a check mark next to one of my bucket list hunts.
                GOALS

1) SHOOT MORE!!!! I really didn't shoot as much as I usually do this past year, but that has got to change this year!

With a lil one on the ground and all the other things in life, this has been a tough one for me to do, but I feel like I've practiced a lot more this year than I have in the last 2 or 3. On days I don't have time, I'll go out to the shop and shoot at night after the wife and little one are in bed just to get a few shots in and work on form.

2) Build up and shoot my heavy bows comfortably.

This has to be the one I've worked on the most. Since about mid March, I have faithfully been in the gym at least 4 days a week working with a trainer on my lunch hours trying to build my muscles up and within the last 3 weeks or so, it has really started to show in my shooting. When I started shooting my "warm-up" 65lb bow back in January, a dozen shots in and I was done shooting comfortably. Now, I can shoot it just like I am used to shooting my 47lb target bow and my 76lb hunting bow is actually comfortable to shoot now as well. Didn't know if I'd be able to say that or not!

3) Spend more time in the woods with family.

Been too hot as of late, but spent a quite a bit of time taking folks out during turkey season. Was able to get my wife on a bird and my sister-in-law on an awesome double beard.

4) Pick a spot, and put an arrow perfectly into a Cape Buffalo for a clean kill!

45 days and counting!!!!

5) Have more fun shooting. I got into a bad slump just before hunting season, and am still fighting it now and again, but gotta loosen up and roll with it.
                Everything feels great right now and I've really enjoyed all my outings this season (as far as I can remember anyhow). I know there has been a few bumps in the road along the way, but I've figured out they are just bumps and the rest of the road is as smooth as I make it out to be.

Sure can't wait for hunting season!!!!!!!!!!
                Last edited by MedicineMan7; 07-17-2018, 02:13 PM.

Comment

Trad Goals for 2018.
                  Well my twins will go to school this fall and I will go back to hunting this year. I have not hunted in 5 years and have never killed anything with a bow. I have shot a trad bow off and on for almost 10years. Mainly fun in my back yard.
                  1) This year I hope to get out as much in the woods as possible and get a chance at a shot.
                  2) Shoot an hour a day 3-4 times a week to really work out and "perfect" my form.
                  3) Meet more trad shooters.
                  4) Shoot some 3d matches.
                  5) Learn more. Shooting and hunting.

Comment

DONE!!!!!!!!

1. Last year is definitely in the past... I let it go. And I have some pretty good hunting buddies to thank for helping me out with that...

2. No goals other than to roll with what is offered me.

3. Elk hunt was definitely successful. had a blast. so much fun I am still friggin tired.

4. Will be hunting with Simmon's sharks this season and for the foreseeable future... I really like the setup and have had better results with them. I'm happy.

5. Completed 1000 miles of rucking last month.

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                    As my lead off post suggested, I totally screwed up this WT season. It is a little more embarrassing than I'd like to share on here... in fact, my live thread kind of died because the hiccups were just too much to deal with. So you know it was bad, cause I normally like to just be honest and open about stuff like I have been in the past. It wasn't just one event, but a series of mishaps that just keep plaguing me all fall. So my goals are somewhat based around that.

1. Put last year behind me. Some of it was bad luck... some of it was something else... inexperience maybe or lack of feel perhaps.

2. Not have critter killing "goals" for the year. I'm a numbers guy... I am... but for this year, I am not going to have a target number that I am shooting for. I'm just going to go out and kill whatever I can, whenever I can and just roll it with it. Looking back on last year for the times I had my worse miss/recovery rate, I had set some sort of expectation in my mind... multiple deer, multiple turkey, etc. When I just shot at rabbits for fun... the Big Oak hunt, and the TBH hog hunt I had no expectations and was more successful.

3. Have a successful DIY Elk hunt this fall. By successful, I mean come away feeling like I had a solid chance... enjoyed the trip with my buddies... made lasting memories... learned something... (notice I didn't say kill an Elk... see #2!)

4. Fine tune my broadhead setup... Actually try other broadheads. I've had mixed results with my current setup that I have used now for 3 years... I'd like to have better confidence in it.

5. Complete the 1,000 mile challenge with my ruck.

Comment

Originally posted by SwampRabbit View Post
                      Congrats again Bob. That is a difficult goal to achieve and a big deal you could check that one off.

I'm in the same boat somewhat this year. Although my new place is closer, I think I will be making shorter trips than I have done before. What I learned from last year is that the natural tendency (for me at least) is to want to rush because of lack in time being out there (perceived or real) and that I really just need to slow down and enjoy the hunt, and let it come to me rather than trying to force it.
                      I appreciate that Scott,

So I have a new goal...

I can't share any specific details but lets just say I found a way to hunt really close to home. New goal is 2 Doe before Thanksgiving.

Comment

Originally posted by ballgame View Post
                        I appreciate that Scott,

So I have a new goal...

I can't share any specific details but lets just say I found a way to hunt really close to home. New goal is 2 Doe before Thanksgiving.

lucky!

Comment

I pretty much just have one....although I've managed to kill a handful of pigs and exotics I still haven't killed a whitetail with trad gear. So, opening weekend I'll be back at it and hopefully I can get it done this year!!

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                            1. Take a Black Bear in Maine.

2. Have another great TBH Trad Hog Hunt with my Texas friends.

3. Take a javelina or 2 plus some pigs when my wife and I, along with some friends from NC, make a hunt in south Texas the last week in February.

4. Get back into 3d shooting.

Other than that I'll just roll with whatever opportunities arise.
                            1. Didn't get my black bear. I had a great hunt and can't wait to get back to Maine with the guys from Black Widow.

2. We had another great TBH Trad Hog Hunt

3. I passed on the Javelina but did kill a nice pig in South Texas.

4. Still haven't got back into 3d.

Comment

wow, haven't been out for whitetails in 3 years. health issues , to many arrows to build.
                              BUT, this year, i'm going if it kills me....

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
                                1. Didn't get my black bear. I had a great hunt and can't wait to get back to Maine with the guys from Black Widow.

2. We had another great TBH Trad Hog Hunt

3. I passed on the Javelina but did kill a nice pig in South Texas.

4. Still haven't got back into 3d.
                                hows the arrows flying for you sir...
                                sorry to hear about the Maine bear. I was rootin for ya...

Comment

Working...
                                X