Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AndyP View Post
    Perhaps the article should have been re-titled:
    "Fixed Blade Broadheads are Better than Mechanical Broadheads (for shooting into cow ribs). And Here's the Proof:"

The author offers no proof that fixed blade broadheads improve the likelihood of deer recovery over mechanicals...

I’d say finding all those mechanical Broadheads in the deer shot with rifles is pretty good proof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I prefer fixed blades when elk hunting mostly because blades seem to rattle out etc.. when in rough country hunting on foot. Hunting stands in Texas mechanicals work great.

Comment

I like both. Fixed blades can’t compete with the devastation of a mechanical though.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
          I like both. Fixed blades can’t compete with the devastation of a mechanical though.
          Mehh

Take a 2” mechanical…. It has 2” of cutting

A simple slick trick mag… 1 1/8” has 2 1/4” of blood spurting trama. And it’s a square slug hole that gaps open if closed the other way

Comment

I’d like to see proof of all those deer shot with mechanical broad heads inside

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
              Mehh

Take a 2” mechanical…. It has 2” of cutting

A simple slick trick mag… 1 1/8” has 2 1/4” of blood spurting trama. And it’s a square slug hole that gaps open if closed the other way

A picture is worth a 1000 words. 3 blade whitetail special. I like big nasty mechanicals for deer and fixed for elk and up.

Comment

You can’t shoot a mule deer with a whitetail special! Lol

That’s like wearing Nike socks and under armor shoes

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                  You can’t shoot a mule deer with a whitetail special! Lol

That’s like wearing Nike socks and under armor shoes
                  Lmao! I do wear under armour shorts and reeboks

Comment

I have mostly used fixed blades, when I did a lot of bow hunting. I tried mechanical broadheads for two or three seasons. I never recovered a mechanical that was of much use, after being shot into a critter. The concept of mechanicals is good. They can work great, but they can result in major malfunctions. They seem to either work like they are designed to and give great results or they hit bone or something, just right and don't work for crap. I only used mechanicals back in the mid 90s, I am sure there are some better designs out there now. It would take a very good design to be greatly improved over the broadheads I used years ago. The two big issues I see, are the blades getting ripped off and or bent and twisted, when they hit bone. Then if they hit the wrong spot at the wrong angle, they likely won't penetrate much at all, if the blades are strong enough to not get ripped off.

During those two or three seasons, I used mechanicals. I tried two different mechanicals. I don't have any idea what they were. They were just bent twisted and ripped pieces of junk after I shot them. I did have some good kills with them on a couple of occasions.

After the two years I used mechanicals, and recovered every arrow I shot. I concluded that they were not as reliable as I wanted. Yes fixed blade broad heads have their problems also. I have had fixed blade broadheads hit one small twig and make 45 degree direction changes instantly. That has stuck in my mind ever since.
                    I love shooting rabbits with field tips and blunts. It was fun shooting rabbits, I did not have to worry about a broad head catching a twig and making a drastic flight path change. I shot through very heavy brush all the time, seldom had a arrow deflected. I did a couple times, out of many shots, was not a big deal. Most of my rabbit hunting was in very thick brush down south. I killed a lot of rabbits in that brush. But then when I would see deer or pig I wanted to shoot, I would be using broadheads. So that changed things quite a bit. I then had to be very aware of twigs, limbs, ECT. There have been a lot of shots, I have not taken, because I was not sure, a broadhead was going to get past a limb or twig without hitting it and deflecting. Basically hunting with broadheads, definitely adds more ways things can go wrong.

In all my years of bow hunting, I only had one fix blade broadhead get deflected by a twig. That caused me to be very aware of twigs and brush, in the arrows flight path.

Mechanicals, if you make shots only through the rib cage, can work very well. Many occasions, I have had the opportunity to shoot a deer, or pig, but was never given a good broadside shot. On those occasions, I don't want a mechanical. When the mechanicals work like they are designed to, they are definitely impressive. Until the miracle mechanical comes out, I am going too stick to simple and reliable. If you put the arrow in the right spot, a common fixed blade, will kill quickly. It would be nice to shoot a broadhead, that would fly like a field tip.
                    Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 08-25-2021, 08:22 AM.

Comment

A picture is worth a 1000 words. 3 blade whitetail special. I like big nasty mechanicals for deer and fixed for elk and up.

Now that’s what I’m talking about.

For record, I shoot both for this very reason. And I have a setup that I can

Comment

Just a personal preference based around their own personal experiences. I first shot fixed, but then wanted a part of the mechanical hype! I started shooting grim reaper whitetail specials mainly for the filed point accuracy and large cut.

Unfortunately, my first animal to try them on was a buck down on the Chaparral about 6 years ago after being drawn for the archery hunt. 25 yd shot at last light. Not sure what happened, but the buck ran off with my arrow in his shoulder, and it fell out 100 yds or so away. Found the arrow and only got about 3" of penetration. Never found the deer.

Needless to say that was the last time I shot them. I switched to Ramcats soon after and have never not had a pass through and never not killed the deer. Who knows, if my first experience would have been better, I may still be shooting mechanicals today.

Comment

In a tuned bow/arrow I don't think there is much difference. IMO, in an untuned bow/arrow both have their shortcoming. Face it many people have a hard time having a perfect arrow flight due to tuning, form, or both. For those people mechanical is more likely to hit where you aim with less penetration and a fixed will get better penetration but not as close to where you aim if arrow flight isn't perfect. Still a pick your poison...

Comment

Originally posted by kd350 View Post
                            Now that’s what I’m talking about.

For record, I shoot both for this very reason. And I have a setup that I can
                            Key works for the big mechanicals You need a heavy arrow shot from serious draw weight. Hybrids are the best of both worlds. In the end all that matters is shot placement.

Comment

In the end all that matters is shot placement.
                              And in the end, just about every animal is moving by the time the arrow arrives so shot placement is not guaranteed.

Comment

So fixed are better for shooting through a calf. Rage xtreme work pretty good on deer.

Comment

Working...
                                X