Welding Safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welding Safety

My 16 year sold son wants to be a welder. He took welding in school and loves it. I bought him a Lincoln 225 AC/DC welder because that is what the teacher taught him to use. Now that he is starting, I want to make sure he is safe. I bought him an auto tinting helmet. He has gloves. What else does he need? What does he need to do and not do to be safe? My main concern is burns and breathing the smoke. I make him do it outside so there is fresh air.

How easy is it to be electrocuted?

What else don't I know to ask you?

Burns is just part of ot the trade a good hood helps alot. Getting electrocuted is slim get him a lot of steel to practice with then let him start making things.

Comment

I would suggest a leather welding apron, bib type.

Comment

We require all our welders to either have a ventilation system next to the weld or wear a respirator. I don't use one at the house but really should. A good hood, good gloves and maybe leather sleeves or jacket. I would wear a leather jacket when I would arc gouge but just a heavy starched shirt or leather sleeves when stick welding overhead.

Comment

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
          I would suggest a leather welding apron, bib type.

Quality gloves and an apron or sleeves. Like others have said......burns are part of the game.

Comment

A leather half jacket to cover his upper body and sleeves.

Comment

And don't forget the welders hat, just cause.

Comment

And button the top button, I've gotten some nasty (sun) burns in the shape of a vee from welding.

Comment

Safety glasses, ear plugs, 1/2 mask respirator, face shield , frc, hard hat, steel toe boots

Comment

Can’t stress enough about a good auto adjusting hood , I burned my eyes really bad once when welding late in to the evening and used the prop and pop method after a trip to the ER for eye sauve, I invested in a really good hood .
                    Protect those eyes
                    Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 02-18-2020, 08:36 AM.

Comment

You've got to do it right.
                      Set up an account at the cleaners so his shirts and jeans will stand in the corner from being heavily starched.

Get him 24 different welding caps so he can change at every "Little Debbie" break.

Get him 4 different pairs of "Pipeliner Special" glasses to wear under the hood.

Explain to him about the Safety man and how he already knows more and everything about safety and the Safety man is only there to get him run off the job.

Comment

Safety glasses under that hood as the hood doesn't protect you from flying objects such as broken grinding disc. Leathers are a must to keep from getting burned. Oh and get some good FR clothing so it won't flame up.

Miller makes a really good welding respirator that all my welders use. Don't breath in any galvanized for sure. That stuff will make you sick.

And as others have mentioned, spend the money on a quality welding hood and lens. Your eyes can't be repaired once they are damaged. And tell him to not just turn his head to tack. Always have the welding hood down. Although I am sure like all welders he will learn the hardway about welding burn.

Hit me up if you have any questions, as I am a safety manager for a metal fab shop.

Comment

My kid welds and I started him on a Hobart self tinting hood. I thought I was getting him something good. He has a hood now that he more or less bought the pieces for himself and does not look near as modern.

Good boots, heavy starched shirts, ear plugs, and good safety glasses as he will be grinding and cutting a lot as he learns- he will also use the grinder to cut with instead of waiting for one of the cutting torches if it is like most welding classes.

Comment

Fire Extinguisher, just in case!

Comment

Just teach him to fit pipe......that welder will be working for him in a couple years

Comment

Working...
                              X