No announcement yet.

How safe is Brownsville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I grew up just north of Brownsville. Lived there up until 7 years ago. It's safe. Very chill. If there were more opportunities for me there I would still live down there. The people are friendly. South Padre has the best beaches in the state. Plenty of great places to eat all over the Valley.

Hunting and fishing. The best waters for inshore fishing in the state. The lower Laguna Madre has gin clear water. Awesome sight casting for specks and redfish. Plenty of snook to catch as well. Dove hunting is awesome early in the season. Hunting on Laguna Atascosa is challenging but you can have a shot at some decent whitetail and nilgai.

Comment

Your in Brownsville Tx. On the border of Mexico. Plenty of thieves, drugs and drunks. Brown town as the locals call it, is as safe as you make it. Don’t be an easy target.

Comment

If I had to work down there I’d stay in Port Isabel. 20-25 miles away and just an awesome place.

Comment

You do realize this is still the United States right. Just as safe as any other town. Just mind your business and don't put yourself in any procurious situations and you'll be fine. Only danger you'll have is your waste belt growing. Spent a few months down there out of a shipyard never had any trouble with that town. Everyone I met was friendly. But if your vehicle is a new 3/4 ton ford it is more appealing to truck thieves.

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
            You do realize this is still the United States right. Just as safe as any other town. Just mind your business and don't put yourself in any procurious situations and you'll be fine. Only danger you'll have is your waste belt growing. Spent a few months down there out of a shipyard never had any trouble with that town. Everyone I met was friendly. But if your vehicle is a new 3/4 ton ford it is more appealing to truck thieves.
            Naw 13 f 150

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by CEO View Post
              Gary, Indiana is internet famous for it's crime. Even the cops tell you to not stop at red lights or stop signs after dark.

Internet famous?
              Gary Indiana is a ****hole
              Did some plant shutdown work there in the 90’s.... I believe UPS or FedEx took some heat for removing their drop boxes from there because of drivers getting shot at....media made it a racial thing

No eye contact in Chicago? lol
              With the exception of a few areas, Chicago is a great place for a big city

Everywhere has its good and bad parts of town

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I work with too many Mexicans (they're from Mexico. I guess its ok to say Mexican if they're from there, right?) that all say, "Don't go to Brownsville. Don't do to Laredo. Don't got to Acuna. Don't go to Juarez." They don't even go down there. ok, good enough for me.

Comment

Wow a lot of people that have never been to Gemba.

Comment

I grew up in Brownsville but live in Port Isabel now. It's safe there, but the traffic sucks. Nothing wrong with working there if you could live out this way. Check with gbludau. He lived in pi for awhile working on some pipeline.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

Comment

Lotsa ignorance on this thread...been watching live pd & tickled to have spent my decades on the border, but don’t condemn any other city based on the violence caused by a few thugs.

If you like to hunt & fish it’s heaven...my only problem is the growth & has been in the top 5 areas in regards to expansion for a decade or more for a reason. I would commute from Laguna Vista or Port Isabel as well. I’m 60 miles up river.

Comment

I've never lived in Brownsville, but I've worked and gone to school there for many years. Just like any other place there's gonna be hooligans around, but I've never had a problem while I was there. I live in San Benito, which is about 10min away, and I work at HEB in Harlingen.

As far as fishing there are tons of places for both freshwater and saltwater. But for hunting you have to find the right place in order to get on some decent game (at least in my experience). Of course as mentioned before there's the refuge to apply for drawn hunts. Also some ranches offer day hunts.

All in all it as "safe" as any other town in my opinion.

Hope the info helps. If you need help with anything don't hesitate to ask. Good luck to you sir.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                          According to TBH pretty much every place is safer than Houston
                          Especially if you hunt in Mexico.

Comment

Some good posts by people that have spent time in the area. Post Isabel not far away. Fishing is excellent. Finding a place to hunt can be challenging. An archery club just SW of LaFeria off of Bass road called Golden Eagle Field Archers.

Comment

Originally posted by AggieRod View Post
                              If you are scared of Brownsville then you are scared of America. Brownsville is no worse than anywhere in Texas.
                              ^^^This....I'd rather live in Browntown than L.A. or Houston or Dallas....I live in Edinburg and have all my life....I"m sure if there are stats on vehicles stolen in Texas cities, Dallas and Houston would have more stolen than Browntown...bigger cities, more folks, more opportunities for thievery....

Comment

Find a place to stay in Harlingen or Port Isabel and commute if possible. I have never felt unsafe in Brownsville just not a great place to live in my opinion. I work in the valley and none of my associates live in Brownsville LOL

Comment

Working...
                                X