No announcement yet.

How safe is Brownsville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I worked in that area many years ago and it was fun, decent, good folks. Today, too many troubles up and down the border. Better know your way around! It can be Ok and still good folks. Just be careful, as if that does not apply to "anywhere".

Comment

I would not worry about Brownsville. I live about 30 miles to the west. Crime everywhere in the Rio Grande Valley but probably on a par with the rest of Texas metro areas. Most stuff has to do with drugs. If you are not buying or selling you will be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
        Of the time I spent working in the area, there would need to be a SIGNIFICANT increase in pay before I would ever live down that direction.

I hated ever living millisecond I had to spend down there.

Couldn’t tell you about safety though now days. Like most things in the media, I would guess most “headlines” and “news” is to sell media, not reporting reality.
        Pay is real good or I would work 6 hrs from home.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Brown E View Post
          I would not worry about Brownsville. I live about 30 miles to the west. Crime everywhere in the Rio Grande Valley but probably on a par with the rest of Texas metro areas. Most stuff has to do with drugs. If you are not buying or selling you will be fine.
          May look you up when I get down there.

Comment

Take several TBHers advice on here, stay in Mexico.....really safe there.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
              It's not safe, try Chicago.
              Yep. I was told not to make eye contact driving through Chicago. Than on my way to Indiana I took a wrong turn and saw a billboard "no Kidding" that said Murder Capitol of the ? world I think it said. I ran a light and a stop sign to get back on course. Good folks everywhere in our Great Nation. Be careful south and even in Garey Indiana

Comment

I feel safe when I visit. Compared to your local areas on USA Today crime index, Brownsville has less crime than Liberty or Baytown. Personally I feel safe when visiting the Valley, but I don't put myself in any situation as I am not drawn to intoxication or vice.

Comment

Move to Edinburg.
                  Ritzy valley area..
                  No really its safe. We go down a couple times a year for vacations.
                  Never an issue.

Comment

Border

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                    No way I would move my family to Brownsville or any border town
                    Oh my, how will my family and I ever survive out here?

Comment

I go to Laredo, Weslaco, Harlingen, Brownsville etc. I guess the thieves can tell how many miles I have on my truck and won’t touch it. :-). I have never felt unsafe in the valley.

Comment

Ok so it's safe.
                        What's good to do around there?
                        Hunting, fishing and family stuff.

Comment

If you are scared of Brownsville then you are scared of America. Brownsville is no worse than anywhere in Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
                            Ok so it's safe.
                            What's good to do around there?
                            Hunting, fishing and family stuff.

Hunting and fishing all good all over lol. Not really a lot of places to day lease but you’re close to Laguna atascosa and teniente draw hunts. Great dove hunting in September

Only 30 minutes away from the island so fishing any time you want.

I live in Harlingen now because of work
                            Last edited by BigRed323; 01-24-2020, 09:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toomuchsun View Post
                              Yep. I was told not to make eye contact driving through Chicago. Than on my way to Indiana I took a wrong turn and saw a billboard "no Kidding" that said Murder Capitol of the ? world I think it said. I ran a light and a stop sign to get back on course. Good folks everywhere in our Great Nation. Be careful south and even in Garey Indiana
                              Gary, Indiana is internet famous for it's crime. Even the cops tell you to not stop at red lights or stop signs after dark.

Comment

They like F250s in the border towns

Comment

Working...
                                X