No announcement yet.

Del rio questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m just north of Langtry and the hogs are starting to move in.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolHandLuke View Post
      You just do not know where to go! The original Don Marcelinos as well as Memos. It’s Mexican food and not Tex-mex.
      You're a funny guy. I have worked and had offices in border towns for 30 years. RGV, Laredo, Del Rio. Eagle Pass, El Paso. I used to eat the food on both sides of the border when it was safe. Del Rio and Eagle Pass is easily the worst mexican food on the border. Been to the two you mentioned numerous times. These are not just my thoughts but our techs and supervisors that traveled to all towns. The best in that area used to be Ma Crosby's in Acuna.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I drive through there every lease trip. DON'T eat at Julios. It's horrible. As other have said, the Mexican food is terrible for a border town. I buy corn at Oasis in Uvalde. They've been cheaper than everyone else, about $6.79/50. The Blue Oasis on the west side of town on US 90 has good food.

If you just need to fill a hole, Sirloin Stockade is there as well.

Comment

I guess I'm different......last thing I want to to is drive into town to eat once I get to the lease!

Comment

Like said above the deer quality can be pretty good, should have good numbers as well if not had anthrax run through. Also a big factor is going to be neighbors and management. Something I’ve noticed the last couple years is bigger property being broken up and sold or leased out turning into a similar situation that rock springs is in.

Everything out there will stick, sting, or bite. It’s not bad though as long as you just pay attention and don’t run into some cholla cactus or spiny hackberry. Snakes, there’s rattlers obviously but I wouldn’t worry too much about them.

Feed there is del rio feed and supply, decent place. As mentioned oasis in uvalde and Lyssey and eckle in hondo.

El patio and Julio’s is about the best food there, don marcelinos are all terrible. Sirloin stockade is okay as well.

Don’t forget the wild game dinner at the convention center in December as well as fishing at amistad.

Comment

Awesome input guys I appreciate it!

Comment

That bar and grill in the Ramada Inn used to have decent food. It's been a few years.

Comment

We always end up at the Buffalo Wings & Rings there.

Comment

Buddy of mine hunts in Del Rio and he still hasn't been able to eat the three deer he killed this year. It is a CWD county and TPWL still haven't posted his numbers online as safe to consume yet. He had to turn over the heads for tissue sample and wait.

Comment

I would say the average for that county buck size is 115-120” but like everyone else has mentioned it depends on how things are managed around you... we averaged around 145” this year but are place is 13,000 acres so we control the pressure pretty well. I’m a believer of protein only during the off season and then we kick on our corn feeders come mid to late September... it seems to make them crazy when the corn hits the ground

The early season hunting seems to depend on how dry it is going into October. For Bowhunting mid to late November seemed to be the best then the rut was good for the rifle hunters.

Whataburger is probably the best restaurant in town or at least that’s all we eat when in town. I enjoy the hell out of the area, it definitely can be a bow hunting paradise.

Is your place off 90 or 277?

Comment

Originally posted by FULL DRAW View Post
                        Buddy of mine hunts in Del Rio and he still hasn't been able to eat the three deer he killed this year. It is a CWD county and TPWL still haven't posted his numbers online as safe to consume yet. He had to turn over the heads for tissue sample and wait.
                        The last Amistad deer I had tested at the Del Rio station took every bit of 4 weeks to get result. The first Amistad deer I had tested I took it to the Hondo station and it was maybe 1.5 weeks. That was before the mandatory hit for the Del Rio area though. Neither of them kept the heads, they simply took a sample from each.

Comment

manuels steakhouse in Del Rio, I think, is the best place in town.

Comment

Before anthrax we killed some studs on low fence but I’d say average mature trophy is around 135” with the opportunity to grow them to book deer. Really fun country to hunt and I’ve enjoyed it last 6 years. See maybe one or two rattlers every off season but rarely during deer season, they are there though. Never know when you will see an exotic which is a plus, I killed a random 32” axis one year and have had all kind of random ones on camera. I usually BBQ at camp so not much help on restaurants. Del Rio feed is great, I hit oasis feed coming from San Antonio.
                            Like others said it’s an anthrax area and any year you could be screwed. This summer hit us very very very hard.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
                              We always end up at the Buffalo Wings & Rings there.
                              Good choice.

Comment

A LOT depends on whether you are north or south of town too... I had a place south of town for 31 years... Loved it... Farther South you go, bigger the deer get... Our best was a 203 B&C. South of town, has heavier illegal traffic... no lake to slow 'em down...
                                There are still some big ranches north of town toward and along the Dolen Creek Ranch Road... They grow some big deer in that area too... With only 600 acres, you won't have any control over management. Might as well shoot whatever you see that trips your trigger. We allowed 600 acres per man on our 10K acres, and felt like we were a bit too crowded... Lot of that country is pretty open other than the draws and valleys...

As far as restaurants, for once I TOTALLY agree with BoB regarding mesican food... Once asked a guy in town that used to do a lot of work for us... Where do you go to get good mesican food round here Johnny? He thought a minute, then said, "home"... Pretty much sums up Del Rio's mesican food... There was 4 Don Marcellino's at one time in Del Rio and they were all terrible, Still Are! If you like Chinese/Thai food, there's a little place on the right as you come into town on HWY 90 called Jitra... It used to be a Dairy Queen... That is some of the BEST authentic Chinese/Thai food on the planet! Manuel's Steak House in the middle of town is also OK, a bit over priced, but OK. Frankly, especially on Friday nights (fish special) The Sirloin Stockade is pretty dang good. We used the boys at Del Rio Feed and Supply for about everything we needed. We weren't far South of town and often had them deliver. If you have exotics (espeically axis and/or elk), you'll want to keep alfalfa hay feeders going for them... They love it better'n corn.

Russell True Value hardware has a pretty decent gun/hunting section in their store, but they're not open on Sundays. If you bring the wives and such, it's petty cool to go into old Downtown and tour the winery too...

We loved our place. Like I said, we had it for 31 years... The movie series Lonesome Dove was filmed there, but then Mr. Moody died and the family sold the ranch... It has since sold 3 more times... I understand the current owner is looking to lease it out for hunting... There's no way in hell I'd ever hunt there again and have to contend with all the dang border patrol, USDA ag guys, Homeland Security, illegals/drug runners and such again!! But we sure had fun there for a long time, but that was a long time ago too... We used to duck hunt the Rio Grande... best duck hunting on the planet. Guaranteed limits if you had enough shells... ducks were always there... But again, that was a different time... Probably no bueno to do that now...

Good luck with your lease. Hope you shootabiggun!

Comment

Working...
                                X