deer decoy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

deer decoy?

In a conversation with a guy here at work about using deer decoys to help get deer to come in.
    I am in the boat with those that believe, while there may be some merit to it, it is mostly a gimmick perpetuated by these TV hunting schmucks that are only saying what their sponsors want you to hear.
    What about you greenscreen fellas and fellettes….do y'all use them with any success? Or would this guy just be wasting his money like I am trying to convince him. Or am I wrong

Makes sense that they would work, but I've never seen a need for one in Central Texas where I hunt. Does seem to be pretty plentiful, and it's hard to beat a live decoy, especially during the rut.

Comment

I have never used one but I say every year that I am going to try it. Not so much that I expect them to come running in but I would use it in hopes to get bucks crossing a ROW to stop long enough to check it out instead of walking straight across like they so often do.

Comment

I've had luck with buck/doe combo in West Tx. Scent drag to the stand and put estrous scent on the doe. I was gun hunting and set back about 75 yds. In a wknd of hunts I had 4 different bucks come in a 1 was what I considered a shooter at the time. He was an 11pt and scored 126".

Since then I have tried single doe in East Tx and only had young bucks interested. Set up buck decoy and have zero interest so far. I am a believer and a lot has to do with timing.

Buck/doe setup is best in my opinion.

Comment

I have had luck with a doe decoy im going to try it again this weekend and i will report back

Comment

I've had luck with the decoy on some days. On others, they steered completely away from it. I guess it's timing on their behavior.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Comment

I've used them for several years now. They are great! I have both buck and doe. Killed my very first bow buck over a buck decoy. My son took a nice buck 2-3 years ago over a doe decoy and last year got a video of a small 8 mounting one of the doe decoys. We will start using them this weekend. We have a double bull set up under a huge oak tree sitting in an 8 acre food plot. The decoys can be seen from 200 yards in every direction. I think they are one of the best tools a bowhunter has.

Comment

When we had our place out west, I had a set that I was never skunked on a sit and did not see a single deer... except ONCE in probably 20 years... was the only time I had a doe decoy out... Ain't happened since...

Comment

We have two stands on our place that are within 100 yds of fence line to next property. We put a doe decoy up closer to feeder cause we've had buck come to fenceline a number of times and look around but not jump over. They don't always come for a decoy but I've seen it work a number of times. I've had the decoy scare away other doe and smaller bucks too though. If rut is on, it's worth it IMO.

Comment

Going to try and post the video I mentioned earlier. Hope it works.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I’ve always wanted to try it in missouri, but scared a road hunter might shoot it. Lol

Comment

They work great in open country!

Comment

Awesome video! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by MQ32Shooter View Post
                            Going to try and post the video I mentioned earlier. Hope it works.

cool video. Thanks for sharing

Comment

I don’t think they are a gimmick at all. I’ve used it this past week and brought in bucks. Only problem is it seems to bring in 2-3 year old bucks more than mature bucks. They are a lot of fun to hunt over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X