Cinder block shop/building?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cinder block shop/building?

I was looking at a older property the other day and it had a shop, prolly 30x40ish made of cinder blocks. you really dont see that much anymore, most people just go with a typical muller type building. just wondering why more people dont go that route anymore. i looked at Home Depot and a pallet was $208, not sure how far that would get you but the last time i priced a shop about that size it was $40k range. im not saying i would do the work but im sure there is someone out there that dose that kind of work

what yall say anyone built a building made of blocks or have any more info

And another $10-15 per block to lay them. Depending on the particulars. Concrete filled, drill and set rebar, etc.

Comment

Cost efficiency. CMU is expensive. Not so much in the past.

Comment

Dang sure durable. If i bought a property with one on it id be happy happy happy but probably not going to build one

Comment

I built a barndominium in 2012 at my property near Rocksprings with concrete block. The block walls were 14 feet tall, and then we used lumber to frame out the gables, and that was the living space with the bedrooms. The downstairs had a kitchen and bathroom, and the rest was open space. It was very well insulated.
          Attached Files

Comment

Lots of homes built out of them in florida. If I was entertaining a coastal place, thats what Id look into

Comment

I’m thinking the labor involved out weighs the low cost of materials.

A good 2 man framing crew could build and stand 4 walls on a building that size in a couple hours.

It could take a four man mason crew a week or more to mix the concrete and lay all the blocks to build those walls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

We keep looking at Florida and like the Insulated Concrete Forms, it's very popular there so cost is competitive on the builders. Not sure if our '"soils" here that are so hard on slabs would affect them here. Talk about putting up a house fast !! Much smaller HVAC due to air tightness and insulation and for down there cheaper insurance for hurricanes.

Comment

We have a local Spanish guy build cynder block houses for our visa workers, lot cheaper and insulated very well

Comment

Concrete filled cinder block sounds like a great apocalypse shelter, probably block a lot of radiation.

Comment

Yea guess labor cost would cover up the cost of just buying a pre fab building. But ya I do like the idea of the strength and security

Comment

I have some property on the coast. I have always thought about making a home/shelter/cabin out of these so it would be somewhat hurricane proof. But I know it would be $$$.

Next to me is a small fishing cabin that I believe survived Hurricane Carla. I have a pump house that is made of concrete blocks (not cinder), which I believe was probably built in the 1950's. I figure if I built something out of cinderblock, I wouldn't even carry windstorm insurance on it.

Comment

Working...
                        X