School me on Skid Steers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

School me on Skid Steers

I've always been a tractor guy but need a new toy. I'm leaning towards a skid steer. What are the brands to stay away from? If you don't get a mulcher do you need a hi flow machine. I'm still undecided if I really need a mulcher. If not I would get a heavy duty shredder brush wacker. What about horsepower? I've got a couple of thousand acres to play around on. Mainly to be used patching roads and doing brush control along the roads. What are the attachments that you can't live without? Would you buy new or slightly used? Budget is going to be around 100K.

I really like late model Cat skid steers and compact track loaders. With that budget get one with a sealed cab that has A/C and heat. Hi flow is an option that I would definitely get.

I haven’t looked at JCB skid steers lately, but their side entry cabs and single arm loaders are quite an ingenious design. Haven’t read the reviews on them yet, nor examined them in person yet. They look to be much easier to get in and out of. Dunno about parts and service. I do like and have used JCB telehandlers extensively. They’re great!

Have used New Holland skid steers and track loaders quite a bit. They were cheaper in price than John Deere and Cat. I dont really like (NH) their controls or design. But they do get the job done nonetheless. Just not my favorite brand of machines to operate. Would like to get some seat time with Takeuchi skid steers, track loaders, and track hoes (Excavators).
    Last edited by Worksalot; 12-26-2019, 10:19 PM.

Comment

I don’t know much about them, but if I were contemplating a purchase I think I would rent several different ones and then make that decision. Everyone that has one is gonna say their choice is the best !

Comment

You can find a couple mulching heads that will work for the 75hp machines, but mostly they’re for 90+ HP machine. I’d say go with high flow hydraulics. It’s like 4wd. You don’t ever regret having it, but you’ll sometimes regret not having it. Air ride seat and air conditioned cab is worth it, and is an absolute must if you want to run a mulcher or rotary head.

Comment

Kubota svl95-2. Full cab track machine

Comment

I like kubotas the best of the ones i have used. I think their door is the best design i have seen. I have not used one of the JCBs mentioned above, sounds interesting though

Comment

Originally posted by Worksalot View Post
              I really like late model Cat skid steers and compact track loaders. With that budget get one with a sealed can that has A/C and heat. Hi flow is an option that I would definitely get.

I haven’t looked at JCB skid steers lately, but their side entry cabs and single arm loaders are quite an ingenious design. Haven’t read the reviews on them yet, nor examined them in person yet. They look to be much easier to get in and out of. Dunno about parts and service. I do like and have used JCB telehandlers extensively. They’re great!

Have used New Holland skid steers and track loaders quite a bit. They were cheaper in price than John Deere and Cat. I dont really like their controls or design. But they do get the job done nonetheless. Just not my favorite machines.
              The JCB TeleSkids don’t have the weight capacity to handle most mulching heads. The single arm telescoping boom is pretty dang slick, but at the cost of capacity.

Comment

Cat 289 D tracks are a must imo along with cab and AC/Heat. Tooth bucket grapple bucket and we have used a big shredder on the front as well

We have ran them for years and have over 3400 hours on our 2018. We usually buy new and sometimes you can find some pretty good deals on used ones. Just never know how they were taken care of.
                Last edited by bloodtrailer28; 12-26-2019, 09:54 PM.

Comment

I’m running a 2019 Cat 279D and it hasn’t disappointed me yet. I’ve grubbed some mesquites that nobody thought I could. I’ve got several attachments but for the work you’ve described, a good heavy duty grubber, brush/root grapple, heavy duty brush cutter, and a bucket that you can put teeth on. My auger gets a good workout at times, as does my tiller, but I don’t use those pieces as often as the brush attachments. Buy the biggest machine your budget will allow. My 279 was $60k with a bucket only. Another thing, anything above 75HP will require DEF. that’s something to consider.

Comment

Dont get anyything with foot controls is my advice...

Comment

If your budget is $100K, get a CAT 299 D2 XHP. It’s the biggest CTL that CAT makes. Mulching heads are not cheap. You can find “off-brands”, but a good name brand head is going to cost you $26K-$31K (or more). My CAT branded head was over $25K. Don’t let DEF be a deciding factor. They use very very little. I’ve been working mine commercially all summer and fall and I’ve filled the DEF tank 4-5 times at the most. CAT has a 2yr/2000 hour “no questions asked” warranty. You break it, they fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bowtech38 View Post
                        Kubota svl95-2. Full cab track machine
                        this is what I bought a year ago today.

I'd buy the same machine again - there's very little that I don't like about it.

The only reason to buy the 75 over the 95 is if you need to trailer it frequently.

Otherwise, the added weight and hp will be much appreciated.

it was about $75K, but I've since added about 15k in various attachments.

Still don't have a mulching head, since I don't yet really have a need for it.

Comment

So the Cat and Kubota are better than Bobcat nowadays? Interesting. Have not shopped them in a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Big, track, AC...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Also look at service after the sale no matter what color machine you get

Comment

Working...
                              X