Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
    I soak mine. Wait wait for it. In cider
    Just to be clear, you soak it in cider or inside her?

Comment

Keep the meat out of the water! Cool and dry is best

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
        I guess my question is how does everyone seem to have such easy access to a walk-in cooler??? Or are the walk-in folks mostly using a processor?

I’ve done the ice in the cooler with the drain open thing just because I don’t have an option at the house and I’m not giving my deer to a processor.
        Seriously you don't need a walk in cooler, unless you have more meat then you have freezer space for. Get a reg. cooler same one as you would use to soak in ice. But instead use milk jugs filled with water then freeze them. Lay a few of these in there with the meat and change out as they thaw. Then get meat frozen asap, and you have the same cooler ready for the next animal. You can thaw the meat to process further it at a later date, and then refreeze it. I Unless I was killing a lot of ( big) animals every day, I will not own a walk in cooler again.

Comment

Lets settle this, we can swap some backstrap from my cooler for some backstrap kept dry and see if there is a noticeable difference. It's that simple. I'm willing to bet no one could tell the difference but hey, I've been wrong before.

Comment

Game’y taste comes from improper gutting/skinning/deboning/butchering. Soaking meat is no bueno.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Dry at 39 deg . Never soak red meat in water, ever.

Comment

Agree with Bish, we have done the same for many years and never had an issue. The meat is always great, but to each his own, everybody has their opinion and preference.

Comment

Find and old french door refrigerator and take the shelves out and hang your deer in it to age it.
                  Originally posted by MetalMan2004 View Post
                  I guess my question is how does everyone seem to have such easy access to a walk-in cooler??? Or are the walk-in folks mostly using a processor?

I’ve done the ice in the cooler with the drain open thing just because I don’t have an option at the house and I’m not giving my deer to a processor.
                  Sent from my LM-X210CMR using Tapatalk

Comment

If I can I bag mine up in cheesecloth and hang in a cooler for two weeks!!! The biggest key to good venison is getting the animal cleaned and cooled off as quickly as possible. I cringed and will never take deer to a processor just because all the deer I see riding back in the bed of a truck or even worse the rack that inserts in your trailer hitch every weekend during deer season. Seeing this makes you understand why many people say venison taste nasty and I would agree when eating one that wasn't treated correctly.
                    Last edited by Hardware; 10-11-2018, 08:32 AM.

Comment

Definitely dry and cool. Soaking in water (macerating as it's called) has a negative effect on flavor and makes butchering more difficult in the sense that fat and sinew removal is harder and the muscle groups won't "peel" off and apart nicely like they do when butchering dry aged meat.

Comment

Originally posted by blatallic View Post
                        I've let the meat sit in an ice chest for 3-5 days. Drain and add ice as needed. The more blood I drain, the lesser game taste it will have.

This for me too! [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve been icing the meat down for several years and the quality of meat is great. I don’t let it soak in the water, I keep it well drained.

I process all of my own meat and it is definitely never grey. The meat stays in great condition and eats very well.

To each their own. Find what works for you. If I had a walk in cooler I’d let it hang for a week.

Comment

Originally posted by BigThicketBoy View Post
                            Find and old french door refrigerator and take the shelves out and hang your deer in it to age it.

Sent from my LM-X210CMR using Tapatalk
                            This is kind of what I'm wanting to try, only I want one with wire racks that I can lay the meat on. Put a catch pan in the bottom. Once I've processed it, just bleach and hose out. Not sure how it will work, but it sounds good in my head.
                            Before I knew better, the guys on my first lease taught me to put it in a cooler with ice, water, and vinegar. The outside of the meat was always gray and kinda slimy. Several years ago I started doing like many above have said, and only use ice in a cooler and keep the plug open.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Interesting thread..
                              Dry is always best but that's not possible in most cases.. Not many ranches/leases have walk ins. Storing in Ice Chests on ice has been done for more years than some on here have been alive with good results. I'm not a fan of soaking deer meat in ice water. Keep the plug pulled and get it processed ASAP. Deer meat should be red not pinky/white.
                              If your soaking your deer in water you run a risk of sliming your DEER meat.. Once it gets that slime on it you've waited to long. That's bacteria.. Do do that.

Comment

Whatever works for you

Comment

Working...
                                X