No announcement yet.

Deer meat. Soak and drain or Keep it dry and cool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good job Scott, start the great ice/no ice debate! I’ve put meat in cooler, load it with ice to the top and open drain. Meat doesn’t soak in water, add ice as nessary. I wouldn’t mind a walk in cooler at camp, just saying!

Comment

Originally posted by blatallic View Post
      I've let the meat sit in an ice chest for 3-5 days. Drain and add ice as needed. The more blood I drain, the lesser game taste it will have.
      Ditto here. I do not have access to a walk in cooler. Now if the weather is cold enough I will skin it and hang it in a tree until time head home Normally I do as stated above. I have done many a deer this way over several decades.

Comment

Frozen 2 liter bottles and 16oz water bottles works awesome

I keep a bunch in my outside freezer and have a good stick pile at a ranch out west I hunt

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          I’m betting it’s pretty safe to say the majority of an animal shot through the lungs/heart with a bow/rifle are pretty much bled out by the time they are hanging and gutted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          you would be surprised how much is not drained!,,,,

Comment

Bottom line there is more than one way to skin a cat. So just get it cooled down ASAP and keep it cold until its time to process.

Comment

Wait. I'm confused. Y'all don't rip it open and eat it where it lays? Evidently my brother and I were taught wrong.

Comment

Dry and cool is the best way, if you cannot do that then in a cooler with ice with the drain plug open, if you are making sausage I am not sure if it even matters.

Comment

Originally posted by blatallic View Post
                  I've let the meat sit in an ice chest for 3-5 days. Drain and add ice as needed. The more blood I drain, the lesser game taste it will have.

This works great

My deer meat taste better than elk meat bc of his process

The meat question at hand is like asking how should I kill a deer?....there’s plenty of methods to do both

Comment

Team Keep-It-Dry here! Once the hide comes off, I break it apart into primary cuts (quarters, straps, ribs, neck) and plastic-bag everything. I use two-gallon ziplocks or even trash bags in a pinch, then it goes in the garage fridge if I’m at the ranch, cooler with ice packed around if I’m out somewhere else. Get it cooled down, but it’s gotta stay dry!

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                      when people dislike deer meat it is because the blood has been left in it,,, when cattle are killed and processed they are usually shot in the head, throats cut and blood drained,, that does not happen with wild game,,, ice water draws the blood out, so keep it changed every couple days for 4-7 days,,, it also has parasites and crap beef do not,, so above 40 is really not all that safe..bacteria and all things nasty grow faster in warmer temps than they could ever do in near freezing water,,, why is aged beef tender? because it has started to rot!!!! simple fact, the bacteria is growing and breaking down the meat,,,,

but what do I know I am just an old guy raised by a hog and dairy farmer who killed and processed animals almost daily for half his life,,,
                      Did you raise venison, there is not the fat content in venison there is in beef. Totaly differant animal.

Comment

Originally posted by mjhaverkamp View Post
                        Dry and cool is the best way, if you cannot do that then in a cooler with ice with the drain plug open, if you are making sausage I am not sure if it even matters.
                        Even with sausage, it's only as good as the worst piece of meat you put in it. And yes meat, not water logged tofu.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
                          Wait. I'm confused. Y'all don't rip it open and eat it where it lays? Evidently my brother and I were taught wrong.
                          And yes we have eaten a lot of our game as we brake it down in the field, over fire though of course, can't get my self to try it raw, others in camp have.

Comment

I cannot stand water damaged meat. I hate the color and texture of meat that's been soaking in water for days.

Ours hangs in a cooler for 7 days before it gets processed and vaccum sealed.

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                              when people dislike deer meat it is because the blood has been left in it,,, when cattle are killed and processed they are usually shot in the head, throats cut and blood drained,, that does not happen with wild game,,, ice water draws the blood out, so keep it changed every couple days for 4-7 days,,, it also has parasites and crap beef do not,, so above 40 is really not all that safe..bacteria and all things nasty grow faster in warmer temps than they could ever do in near freezing water,,, why is aged beef tender? because it has started to rot!!!! simple fact, the bacteria is growing and breaking down the meat,,,,

but what do I know I am just an old guy raised by a hog and dairy farmer who killed and processed animals almost daily for half his life,,,
                              A lot of why they bleed beef, is to make it more presentable to the public. The biggest buyer of groceries are women and it needs to be presentable, and blood turns people off. We processed our own animals, and sold meat to many people, and when I was young supplied a butcher shop with fresh and smoked meats. And when you buy ( used to buy) fresh meat, there was blood in the package. Now days they put those cotex pads on the bottom of the package to soak up the blood, so it looks better, that's the only reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                                I cannot stand water damaged meat. I hate the color and texture of meat that's been soaking in water for days.

Ours hangs in a cooler for 7 days before it gets processed and vaccum sealed.
                                Exactly, I don't understand the water part of it, it must be bland meat they like. It gives me the willies just thinking about it.

Comment

Working...
                                X