Hunting with Matsuri in 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting with Matsuri in 2019

I am booked to hunt with Matsuri in June of 2019, and my wife and son will be going with me. This is my first hunt in Africa, but will be my 5th trip to the continent, the other 4 to Kenya. We are debating on going a few days early to do some sight seeing in Johannesburg, are there things that are worth doing there, or are they all similar to the side trips that they will be able to take from camp? My son will be 7 and will likely spend some time hunting with me and some going on excursions with my wife.

Any tips on things to see and do while we're there? Looking forward to the trip and can't wait to be over there.

Originally posted by tommy1005 View Post
    I am booked to hunt with Matsuri in June of 2019, and my wife and son will be going with me. This is my first hunt in Africa, but will be my 5th trip to the continent, the other 4 to Kenya. We are debating on going a few days early to do some sight seeing in Johannesburg, are there things that are worth doing there, or are they all similar to the side trips that they will be able to take from camp? My son will be 7 and will likely spend some time hunting with me and some going on excursions with my wife.

Any tips on things to see and do while we're there? Looking forward to the trip and can't wait to be over there.
    We are too! What dates are you going to be hunting? We are going at the end of June 2019. Did you book your flights? My wife found flights for $750 week before last. Houston- 3 hour layover in Amsterdam then into Jburg. Still have to book our flight to Polokwane.

We thought about going early too, but Van suggested to add days to the end for Krueger National park. He said that Jburg had nothing to see

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
      We are too! What dates are you going to be hunting? We are going at the end of June 2019. Did you book your flights? My wife found flights for $750 week before last. Houston- 3 hour layover in Amsterdam then into Jburg. Still have to book our flight to Polokwane.
      we are hunting June 14-22nd......still looking at flights, we wanted to do the direct flight, but not sure I want to spend that much for 3 of us. Make sure if you're traveling with a rifle to get a transit permit in Amsterdam

Comment

we are hunting June 14-22nd......still looking at flights, we wanted to do the direct flight, but not sure I want to spend that much for 3 of us. Make sure if you're traveling with a rifle to get a transit permit in Amsterdam
        Awesome. Looking forward to following along. We looked at the direct flights as well. Couldn't justify spending $2500 a piece compared to $750. Would have cost my wife and I $5000 grand to both fly the direct flight.

We leave on Wednesday evening and arrive in Jburg Thursday night. Will catch the 6:30am flight to Polokwane Friday. Should be hunting Friday afternoon 6/28/19. We are planning on hunting 9 days then spending 2 nights in Krueger National Park at the end.

Comment

do you know where you found the flights for $750? $2000-$2500 seems to be everything I'm finding

Comment

We are headed there with Stolle and his wife as well. Looking forward to seeing your post covering your hunt. We're all bow hunting so we won't need the rifle permits. I've heard nothing but good things about Matsuri. We're all looking forward to the trip. Keep in touch and good luck.

Comment

do you know where you found the flights for $750? $2000-$2500 seems to be everything I'm finding
              We are flying KLM. Supposedly Tuesdays are the best days to book.

Comment

I am taking the bow, but also taking the 6.5 creedmoor incase my son or wife decide they wants to shoot something. Also planning on taking the 375 H&H incase I can talk her into letting me hunt a buffalo

Comment

We are flying KLM. Supposedly Tuesdays are the best days to book.
                  do you have a long layover in Amsterdam coming back?

Comment

I am taking the bow, but also taking the 6.5 creedmoor incase my son or wife decide they wants to shoot something. Also planning on taking the 375 H&H incase I can talk her into letting me hunt a buffalo
                    We might rent a rifle. Jen wants a Zebra, but does not pull enough weight on her bow. I will let her make that decision.

Comment

do you have a long layover in Amsterdam coming back?
                      Nope. 4 hour layover in Paris on the way back. land in Paris around 6am and fly out to Houston at 10am.

Comment

We thought about going early too, but Van suggested to add days to the end for Krueger National park. He said that Jburg had nothing to see

Be careful with a layover in Amsterdam if you are traveling with broadheads. Has not happened to me, but have heard of several people having them confiscated and considered contraband.

I'd research that before booking to ensure it's ok to travel through there with any type of weapon....

Good luck on your trip!

Comment

anybody have any thoughts on shipping companies to get the animals back, or those that have used Matsuri, do they have someone?

Comment

Originally posted by cajunguy88 View Post
                            Be careful with a layover in Amsterdam if you are traveling with broadheads. Has not happened to me, but have heard of several people having them confiscated and considered contraband.

I'd research that before booking to ensure it's ok to travel through there with any type of weapon....

Good luck on your trip!

Thanks for letting us know. We might ship the broad heads a head of time if we think it’s a risk.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

There is lots of things to do outside of Jburg. If you hang around in any big city over there, you better be watching your back the whole time! Make sure to tell Van that Bisch says Hello!!! I hunted there in 2015 and killeed 10 critters in 10 days with my longbow! Matsuri has a great camp and hunting ground.

Bisch

Comment

Working...
                              X