Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the closest you have come to death?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Viet Nam '70/'71. Too many to count. Just glad I made it home.

Doug Key

Comment

August 21, 2010

Me and my wife had went over to a friends house on that Saturday morning to drink coffee. We were on a motorcycle just enjoying the weather. After having a couple of cups of coffee we needed to head home because I had told my brother that I would come help him trim some tree limbs away from the roof on his house. (He was dieing from cancer at the time) Well about 1/3 of the way back home we met about 4 oncoming cars evenly spaced in a line. The 3rd car was an elderly man and he decided to turn left in front of us. My motorcylce met his Mini Van at 55mph. Me and my wife were both care flighted from the scene to Parkland Trauma center in Dallas. I had a broken neck, fractured sternum, pelvis, hip, right knee and all ligaments torn in my right ankle.

The first thing that I remember was the ICU Docs sewing my face up. I had 35 stiches in my forehead and pretty much my entire nose put back on to my face. I guess they put me back under because the next time that I woke up, my friend that owns the funeral home up in Arlington was standing beside my bed with my kids. That is when I was told that my wife did not make it through the wreck.

3 neck surgeries, 1 pelvis surgery, 1 knee surgery and still an ankle surgery to go. I wake up sore most every morning and will the rest of my life but God didnt want me that day and I am glad that he didnt.

Comment

Had quite a few close calls, and a lot of very close calls being in the military mostly involving helicopters, getting shot at, and indirect fire...but I don't consider it as close to death, or "almost dying". You either die, or you don't. There is no almost

Comment

Originally posted by Texastaxi View Post
          September 19, 2008 ... the day my brain exploded. Subarachnoid hemmorage. No warning and no explanation. The pain dropped me to my knees in our tiled living room. Several hours afterwards, my wife found me in a bathtub full of cold water, puking from the pain. Even after that, I thought it was just a bad headache and didn't want to go to the doctor, so I laid down and went to sleep, or at least tried to. When there was no relief from that she loaded me up and took me to the ER. I puked again in the ER lobby. The doctor didn't waste any time getting a CT scan and when he saw the image, he told my wife that I shouldn't be alive much less walking and talking. They took me by life flight from Katy to downtown Houston. 7 days in neurotrama ICU, pumped full of morphine and then I was taken to a regular room and discharged 3 days later.

Three months later I had a followup appointment when the doctor finally told us that the bleeding had stopped on its own and if it would have bled for another half second, I'd have died.

So a half second away is the closest that I've come to dieing. I still have unusual pains in my neck and abnormal headaches but now know that each day is a blessing. The ordeal gave me a new outlook on life.
          My ( now ex ) wife endured the same thing while she was pregnant with my oldest daughter. Tomball Hospital almost killed her after two days of sitting in the hospital and doing nothing. They finally sent her to St Lukes at my and her mothers urging. Within hrs she was in surgury. Dr Ajay Bindal saved her and my unborn daughters life. The memories still hurt. My daughter is 11 now.

Comment

Always wear a life jacket at SLP! Allot of people drown at San-Louis Pass every year. Spent allot of time fishing that area when I was a kid.

Originally posted by FISHUNTER View Post
            1. Decided at last minute not to cross street with my sisters in case there was a car behind the right turning 18 wheeler. Hidden SUV went by at about 70 MPH. Me and both my sisters wouldnt be here to tell this story having I decided it was ok to cross.

2. Wading at San-Luis pass one day and fell into a 12ft gut. Waders filled up with water and I was swept away under water. stripped out of them at last minute under water and swam to surface after gulping a lot of water.
            When you started talking about the UPS guys, it made me think of the fight scene in "Anchorman".

Originally posted by rjet View Post
            Was working for UPS at the hub by Harry Hines in Dallas.
            I broke the unload record that week so the supervisor bought us a case of beer on that Friday (memorial day weekend). I had a car and had 5 that rode with me to work so we used to go to a park across the street on Friday to have a beer and wait for others to get off work so I could take em home. A guy on my crew was sitting on the hood of his car when some dudes threw a beer bottle that missed him and broke his windshield. There was 4 of them and when he went over he asked for help and the idiot I was went with him. Well, this 4 turned into probably 14 (mexican motorcycle gang)as there were a bunch hiding out..........

Comment

When I was 16, I was driving my motorcycle through my small hometown to go mow my grandads yard. A truck did not see me coming and pulled out in front of me. I t-boned him and flew over the handles of my motorcycle and hit the side of the truck with the top of my head. Luckily I had on my helmet, otherwise it would have been a worse deal for me. I only ended up with some stitches, a headache, and some bruises.

I was going 27 MPH, the speedometer was stuck there after the accident. Never been on a motorcycle since and I plan to keep it that way.

Funny part of the story is that after it happened, a lady called my mother to let her know I had been in an accident, but she could have chosen her words a little better. She told my mother, "I am just calling to let you know that Shawn has been run over by a big truck."

Comment

Was Thanksgiving break 1999 & headed home to Spring from SHSU & was riding my dirtbike back near a creek. On the way back home I would have to cross one normal road and go down it half a mile to get back to my parents house. I was going down it and had to stop before turning left as cars were coming from the other direction. While stopped for a few seconds a 78 year old man in a suburban driving 50 mph hit me from behind, said he never saw me, on a big orange KTM 250 wearing a bright orange helmet. Upon impact the bike flipped strait into the air and I went through his windshield, helmet split in 2 and when he slammed on his brakes I flew back off and landed in ditch 35 ft away. Whats crazy, is I was in shock and actually tried to get up after bc somehow a crazy chow dog had seen the wreck and attacked me while I was laying in ditch. Luckily a woman in a mini van had seen the wreck and pulled over calling 911 and had a broom in back of her car she started hitting the dog with to get him off me...so I had just gotten hit by a truck, then attacked by a **** dog at same time! I ended up blacking out for a few min. Was rushed to the hospital and stayed 2 days w several minor injuries inclu fractured cheeck bone, sprained knee and dislocated shoulder & concusion. If I hadnt had my helmet on my head would have exploded upon hitting his windshield, but luckily I came out of it with no major long term injuries, although my college basketball coach wasnt too happy, was out for 4 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Twztid View Post
                  Being stupid, rolling 140/150mph on my hayabusa, on hwy35N towards Austin going to ROT rally. A car decides to switch lanes, I was coming to fast and not enough time to react. I Laid the bike down slid across three lanes of 35. And everyone knows how busy that high way is. Missed getting ran over several time and by several cars/trucks. Was missing some skin and had some embedded asphalt in my rear but made it
                  Wow!

Comment

Wow some amazing stories!!!
                    I worked in a chemical plant in 1982 and was in a huge explosion! I died and went to heaven. I went through the whole out of body experience and watched myself fly through the air. I had 320,000 pounds of pressure blow up under me!! God talked to me and I talked to him. Heaven is for real because I have been there. I couldn't talk about it for a long time. I have some pics of the plant after the explosion and where I was standing. I have never been the type to preach about Jesus and God but it's real !!!!! This is a long story that I tell people when I talked about the whole explosion.
                    scheduled 80 cast iron that reduced the pipe size for reaction.

The place I'm standing is where I was at when the explosion happen. The pipe exploded underwater in the trench where I'm at. It was a reaction chamber and cooled the pipe down. We had a bad batch of acid come in on rail car that caused the whole thing.

Comment

Originally posted by MUZZYSLINGR View Post
                      I was diagnosed with cancer and given approximately 2 weeks left to live. That was in 1991.
                      Love hearing stories like yours with your results. Congrats sir!

Comment

18 yrs ago in a head on collision . they (woman who hit me) doing 80mph. Me doing 75. They did not make it. I was dead one minute and alive another TWICE ( thanks EMTs) they saved me. 27 broken bones and a nice stay in the hospital. Im alive today thanks to the EMTs. One of the EMTs working the scene was a very good friend of mine. I was so messed up he did not even know it was me until DPS told my name over the radio. I got lucky.

another time was trying to teach my 1st ex proper way of target shooting with my old 30/30. She pulled the trigger while barrel very close to my head. To this day, i truely believe her intention was to shoot me and a perfect scenario for an accident claim. She ran off with another man 2 months later.

Comment

Mothers day 2009...Bad motorcycle wreck. Laid the bike down in front of a truck. No helmet. Care Flighted to Baylor with a fractured pelvis and other injuries. Here was the thread.......

Rereading this thread put a big smile on my face seeing the many thoughts and prayers that came my way during this bad time. I was, and am truely blessed to have so many friends here on Texasbowhunter.com.

Thank you for bringing this up.

Comment

Originally posted by WoodlandsRoy View Post
                            Was Thanksgiving break 1999 & headed home to Spring from SHSU & was riding my dirtbike back near a creek. On the way back home I would have to cross one normal road and go down it half a mile to get back to my parents house. I was going down it and had to stop before turning left as cars were coming from the other direction. While stopped for a few seconds a 78 year old man in a suburban driving 50 mph hit me from behind, said he never saw me, on a big orange KTM 250 wearing a bright orange helmet. Upon impact the bike flipped strait into the air and I went through his windshield, helmet split in 2 and when he slammed on his brakes I flew back off and landed in ditch 35 ft away. Whats crazy, is I was in shock and actually tried to get up after bc somehow a crazy chow dog had seen the wreck and attacked me while I was laying in ditch. Luckily a woman in a mini van had seen the wreck and pulled over calling 911 and had a broom in back of her car she started hitting the dog with to get him off me...so I had just gotten hit by a truck, then attacked by a **** dog at same time! I ended up blacking out for a few min. Was rushed to the hospital and stayed 2 days w several minor injuries inclu fractured cheeck bone, sprained knee and dislocated shoulder & concusion. If I hadnt had my helmet on my head would have exploded upon hitting his windshield, but luckily I came out of it with no major long term injuries, although my college basketball coach wasnt too happy, was out for 4 months.

I actually lol'd about the dog. I can just see it happening in my head. Out for a fun day dirt biking, get ran over by old guy, chow dog bites your feet and then bigfoot comes and carries you away.

Comment

Got caught in a rip current off the coast of Cancun. There were several of us and I think we all thought it was over. Very scarey.

Comment

Loading an 800 pound gun safe took it down the loading ramp on a pallet jack the front wheels hit the end of the ramp the pallet shattered and the safe came forward onto my buddy and I luckily we squeezed out before it hit the ground.

Comment

Working...
                                X