No announcement yet.

Any wine makers on here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is the list of minimum equipment needed to get started and the recipe and procedure:

Wild Grape Wine Recipe (Mustang and/or Muscadine)

MINIMUM EQUIPMENT:
    Large food grade-quality plastic bucket or earthenware crock (primary fermenter)
    Large plastic sheet or cover for primary fermenter
    Large nylon staining bag for primary fermentation
    At least 2 narrow-neck glass jug or carboys (secondary fermenters)
    Fermentation locks for each secondary fermenter
    Plastic syphon tubing
    5 "fifth" (750 ml.) wine bottles and corks for each gallon to be made
    Sodium metabisulfite to sanitiize equipment and bottles

INGREDIENTS: For each gallon of wine to be made
    1 gallon of MASHED grapes
    6 cups sugar (or specific gravity -1.090)
    7 pints of water
    1 1/2 campden tablets (or 3/16 tsp. sodium metabisulfite)
    1 tsp. yeast nutrient (e.g. Super Ferment)
    1/2 tsp. pectic enzyme powder or 5 drops liquid pectic enzyme
    1 pkg. wine yeast (for up to five gallons)
    1/2 tsp. Potassium Sorbate (after fermentation!)

PROCEDURE:
    1. Pick, wash, and mash only VERY ripe grapes. Green grapes will cause the wine to be very sour but a few green grapes mixed in will not hurt the batch. Remove the large stems from the mashed grapes. ALWAYS WEAR RUBBER GLOVES WHEN HANDLING THE GRAPES to protect your hands from the acid found in the skins of the grapes. If you are using a nylon straining bag, you may want to put the mashed pulp into the bag immediately and tie it up.
    2. Add the water (cold), yeast nutrient, pectic enzyme, sugar, and the campden tablets (crushed and dissolved in warm water). DO NOT ADD THE YEAST (or potassium sorbate) YET!! Stir until all ingredients are dissolved.
    3. Cover the primary fermenter with plastic sheet or lid. Stir the mash every 4 hours for one day. At the end of this first day, sprinkle the wine yeast packet on to the must. Cover the fermenter.
    4. For the next 5 days, stir the must 2 or 3 times a day. Make sure the floating pulp (the "cap") is submerged. Fermentation temperature should be between 60° - 80°..
    5. At the end of this 5 day period, remove the pulp from the primary fermenter. Strain and discard the pulp. Syphon the juice remaining into the sterilized glass jug(s). Attach the fermentation lock and place in a cool dark area. Action should stop in a few weeks.
    6. When fermentation is complete (S.G. 1.000 or less), "rack" (syphon) the wine into sterilized jugs, being sure to fill them into the neck with liquid. Attach fementation lock. Allow to stand in a cool dark place until clear and stable. Repeat this "racking" procedure once a month for several months. You may want to use a wine clearing agent at this point before moving on to step 7.
    7. Stabilize the wine with potassium sorbate (1/2 tsp. per gallon). After 48 hours you may sweeten the wine with a simple syrup (2 parts sugar to 1 part boiling water). For a "fruitier" finish, substitute fructose for household sugar. Sweeten to taste. Bottle the wine, cork, and allow to stand upright for 4 days. Lay wine on its side and allow to age for at least 3 - 6 months. The wine will improve with age.

Comment

Subscribed

Comment

I was wanting to do this myself for the first time with a blanc du bois grape vine I have that the grapes are just to bitter to use as table grapes

Comment

I started making wine 4 or 5 years ago. My wife's grandfather made good wine and after he passed her grandmother gave me most of his old books and equipment. I find fruit wines to be the most difficult to make and have had my best success with muscadine and mustang grape wine. I agree with the post above on jack Keller website is very helpful. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by TxBrokenTine View Post
            Mustang grapes and muscadine grapes aren't the same.....
            X2

Comment

Either way it will make some great wine! I have alot of spots around the Houston area that im going to be picking come early july. I will be making wine for the first time this year so ill be following this post.

Comment

no I don't make wine but I sure do enjoy a good glass of wine donations can be sent to .............

Comment

Is the pectin necessary .

Comment

Methusa thread of wine making lives!!!!

First and only time...in 2010...before kids...flood wiped me out during secondary fermentation. Thought about sampling some but it had been flooded and didnt feel like gettin the squirts.

Ive got 90 american hybrid vines in the ground and 2 years left of establishment left. Better get better at vinology real dang soon.

Comment

I make beer these days but I’ve been thinking about making blackberry wine from my backyard crop.

Back in college a fraternity brother set me up with my first wine batch ever. Fermenter was a 5 gallon ozarka jug. It was filled with Welch’s, sugar and dry yeast. Terrible stuff obviously but perfect for college.

Comment

My FIL has muscadines every year. My wife made something like 15-20 bottles of wine and it only came out mediocre. Taste better as a mixer. Lol. Gonna show her the recipes on here.

Comment

I wonder if this recipe will work with dewberries

Comment

Subscribed!

At this very moment I am aging a gallon of blackberry wine that I made a few months ago. Took the recipe out of a book that I will post later. When I racked it for the first time, I took a small sample, and it tasted **** good. I honestly surprised myself. In for more ideas/info/recipes. It’s kinda addicting once you start.

Comment

Jack keller has a lot of good info on his website for you to look into. I've made several wines with his recipes. I just bottled a prickly pear wine this past weekend that is pretty awesome. I just started an apple pie wine I hope will be ready by the holidays.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bughunter View Post
                                Is the pectin necessary .
                                yes/ been making wine for @ 25 years now. check out FERMENTER'S SUPPLY AND EQUIPMENT. yes its in omaha,ne but he has a web sight and get the purple book he sells has everthing u need to know about it. good luck

Comment

Working...
                                X