Sedation for Dental Procedure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sedation for Dental Procedure

Has anyone on here had there 2 year old or child sedated for a dental procedure? My 2 year old little girl is scheduled for a dental procedure in Cypress later this week and I’m feeling a bit uneasy about it. If anyone’s dealt with this what was the experience like before and after?

Many use a combo of Versed + Demerol when doing 3rd molar type extractions
    Is this type sedation what you are talking about?
    Other than that they’ll use gas & localized anesthetic

Comment

Not sedated, but when my son was little we had to put him in a straight jacket and me and the nurse laid on him while the doc had him in a head lock.

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
        Many use a combo of Versed + Demerol when doing 3rd molar type extractions
        Is this type sedation what you are talking about?
        Other than that they’ll use gas & localized anesthetic
        They’ll be checking for cavities and filling if needed on her baby teeth. My wife has all the details on everything they explained to her at the dentist office. From what I understand an anesthesiologist will be there for the procedure

Comment

If you have an Anesthesiologist, I would not worry about it. The red flags are when the Dentist administers the meds and does his procedure. Then no one is watching the vitals. Hope all goes well.

Comment

Originally posted by jjaimes View Post
            They’ll be checking for cavities and filling if needed on her baby teeth. My wife has all the details on everything they explained to her at the dentist office. From what I understand an anesthesiologist will be there for the procedure
            We have an Autistic Grandson who will have this done. The Dentist uses a Local Anesthesiologist to administer IV Sedation for the procedure. I recently had this done for wisdom tooth extraction myself. It was easy.

Comment

Yes, you should be concerned!

While the chance is small, there is little margin for error and the consequences are high, should something go wrong. In fact, I would insist that someone who specializes in PEDIATRIC anesthesiology be used were it my child.

Comment

Is there a specific reason your child needs this? Is it just a routine checkup or cleaning? We erred on the side of “they are baby teeth and they are going to lose them in a few years anyway” approach. Other than a few regular cleanings, we didn’t do much until their permanent teeth came in…

Comment

Both of my kids have . My boy had 4 crowns and spacers . Crowns are n his molars He is 6 . Back in may . My girl had it done when she was 4 . Had a bunch of silver caps . My girls was done in the hospital. My boys was done in the office with a anesthesiologist from out of town. He comes to the office for surgery’s every Thursday.

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
                    Is there a specific reason your child needs this? Is it just a routine checkup or cleaning? We erred on the side of “they are baby teeth and they are going to lose them in a few years anyway” approach. Other than a few regular cleanings, we didn’t do much until their permanent teeth came in…

In my kids case it was on their molars . Kids really need them . It will effect their jaw growth and speech . We did a lot of research before our kids had it done . The bad baby teeth was just pulled .

Comment

I'm a periodontist, and, unless she has serious behavioral issues, I wouldn't do it. Anesthesia on children is risky. Most of the stupid laws that I have to contend with now were put in place because of stupid dentists doing stupid things with regard to sedating children.

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
                        Agree!!!! Makes no sense and never heard of this

Sounds like people fall for this tho.

I have a 1.5 and 2.5 and never even been considered or talked about.

Comment

If it’s a routine checkup and cleaning I would say no on my child. BUT I also understand some kids have things going on that require them to need sedation.

Comment

How much sedation? Enough to relax or full asleep? If the latter, unless it is a licensed anesthesiologist, ain't no way, no how!

Several years ago a dentist wanted to "knock me out to get my jaw to relax enough to put a mold in my mouth for a crown." I had had a few other crowns done, so this surprised me. I walked away. My new dentist looked at my teeth and asked why on earth the other guy wanted to put a crown in. That was more than 10 years ago and I still have not needed any crowns.
                            Last edited by Dusty Britches; 10-04-2022, 10:01 AM.

Comment

We had to sedate both our kids. They were older though 4-5. One had and still has rotten teeth. It’s a weird deal. She has outgrown that stage as an 8 year old and now it’s not a big deal to go to the dentist. We did the Oral sedation then gassed them. Once had to do IV when there was a lot of work done. Your nervous as a parent. Our dr and staff were great and they had a anesthetist that specialized In dental and children. Nurse kept us updated about every 5 min. I think a lot depends on the facility that your gonna use. We used a place in round rock. Was a two hour drive but worth it the three times we went. Our local dentist used oral sedation a couple times to easy their anxiety but they have outgrown it finally

Comment

Working...
                              X