Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone moving stocks to more conservative safe haven areas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fed meeting coming up this week feels like a suckers bet. Everyone seems to think it's going to be a bloodbath, and it might be. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Powell stick with 75bps and soften the tone some. Depending on what the market does Monday I'll probably get some calls for the end of next week.

Comment

Rates are just starting to normalize. Companies and the government got used to the corporate welfare of 0.150% interest. Our economy has survived from 0-18%. 0% isn't any more normal than 18%. Extremes rates either direction will cause issues in the economy. Fed hasn't even got above normal rates yet.

Comment

“The interest is up and the stock markets down, you’re gonna get mugged if you go downtown “

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
          Mortgage rates > 6% for the national average. Where do they top out? I'm guessing 7.5 but who knows.
          I remember when they got up to double digits - also remember after the debacle with savings and loans and banks and mortgage companies when everyone thought we would never see a fixed mortgage again - just adjustable - and this was back when the world seemed much more "normal" than now. There has always been crazy times with politics, wars, etc. but to me this time we live in right now is about as nuts as ever - proceed with caution

Comment

The other big thing to keep your eye on the rise of the dollar. Euro, pesos, and yen all down big %. This is almost a guaranty that the rest of the world goes into a recession. This makes their usd debt payments tougher and will slow US exports to those countries further pressuring corporate earnings.

Comment

Originally posted by TX CHICKEN View Post
              I have one piece of advice…if you are following this thread for investing advice then you are already in trouble… cracks me up every time I open this thread how many experts there are on here.
              There’s quite a few of us on here that have a higher percentage return than our financial advisors do with our managed accounts. Quite a few guys on here offer sound advice. Most firms don’t have enough risk tolerance for a few guys in here. I’m pretty sure sure we know this isn’t “ profession advice “.

Comment

RiverRat they must give the timing the market spill to them every month. Your quote is per batem what mine said.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                  The other big thing to keep your eye on the rise of the dollar. Euro, pesos, and yen all down big %. This is almost a guaranty that the rest of the world goes into a recession. This makes their usd debt payments tougher and will slow US exports to those countries further pressuring corporate earnings.
                  See what is happening to the GB pound? Almost hit parity with the dollar. Raising rates in the US will crash several major economies. Not just ours. Lumber prices back to pre covid levels too. This won't end well.

Comment

More losses today; it’s keeping the hurt on full blast. Looks like all the gains from yesterday and a bit more will be taken back today.

Anyone know or have an idea why it’s so volatile? I know the economy is tanking so shouldn’t it be a more steady slide to the down side versus having all these crazy spikes??

Comment

All the bashing on Sabinehunter and it looks like he was right again.
                      He needs to be unbanned before markets bottom so we all know when he buys back in.

The have to break the markets. It's a little complicated but they need to get rid of most traders.
                      Also we would never get inflation under control with the markets always rising to new highs. The only way to get them down and to stay down is to crush millions and make them give up on the markets. Just too much money waiting to buy.

Bear markets always take time. If they didn't everyone would jump back in on the crash and they'd shoot right back up.

I still say SPY goes under 300 before this is all over. Probably in early or mid 2023.

We have worldwide inflation issues now. We all may be screwed.
                      Last edited by RiverRat1; 09-29-2022, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Today was interesting. Lots of volatility is the norm now. The UN is begging the US to stop raising rates. Will we listen?6 month treasuries are almost 4%.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                          All the bashing on Sabinehunter and it looks like he was right again.
                          He needs to be unbanned before markets bottom so we all know when he buys back in.

The have to break the markets. It's a little complicated but they need to get rid of most traders.
                          Also we would never get inflation under control with the markets always rising to new highs. The only way to get them down and to stay down is to crush millions and make them give up on the markets. Just too much money waiting to buy.

Bear markets always take time. If they didn't everyone would jump back in on the crash and they'd shoot right back up.

I still say SPY goes under 300 before this is all over. Probably in early or mid 2023.

We have worldwide inflation issues now. We all may be screwed.

You are giving him waaaaay too much credit. Only a small fraction of people are going to absolutely sell at the top and buy back in at the bottom. The numbers change significantly when you sell around the peak and buy back in near the bottom.

Each person’s portfolio is shaped different for different reasons. My portfolio is down a shade over 10% from its all time high. If I sold all my equities earlier this year I would have incurred a huge tax hit of 20% of all profits. Then I’m losing 8% annually due to inflation(we both know the number is higher than that) holding cash until I decide to wade back into the market over time.

SH is a blowhard and everyone can see it except you Tim. Love ya buddy but you are off on this guy.

And no he doesn’t need to be unbanned. He brought way more negativity than positivity to this site. Bring back JHill, that guy at least was entertaining.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Help me a little on history. Last time something like this happened a world War broke out? Or has it happened since? Just wondering. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                              You are giving him waaaaay too much credit. Only a small fraction of people are going to absolutely sell at the top and buy back in at the bottom. The numbers change significantly when you sell around the peak and buy back in near the bottom.

Each person’s portfolio is shaped different for different reasons. My portfolio is down a shade over 10% from its all time high. If I sold all my equities earlier this year I would have incurred a huge tax hit of 20% of all profits. Then I’m losing 8% annually due to inflation(we both know the number is higher than that) holding cash until I decide to wade back into the market over time.

SH is a blowhard and everyone can see it except you Tim. Love ya buddy but you are off on this guy.

And no he doesn’t need to be unbanned. He brought way more negativity than positivity to this site. Bring back JHill, that guy at least was entertaining.
                              I know he was a blowhard troublemaker. I just think he was correct on more things than anyone wants to give him credit for because of the way he posted. And I don't care how rude, obnoxious, or stupid a poster is, they shouldn't be banned for defending themselves against accusations with zero proof. Plenty of other threads where he spouted off in the past they could have banned him for..and probably in the near future LOL.

Free Jhill313 !! We need more talk about bigfoot.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                                I know he was a blowhard troublemaker. I just think he was correct on more things than anyone wants to give him credit for because of the way he posted. And I don't care how rude, obnoxious, or stupid a poster is, they shouldn't be banned for defending themselves against accusations with zero proof. Plenty of other threads where he spouted off in the past they could have banned him for..and probably in the near future LOL.

Free Jhill313 !! We need more talk about bigfoot.

I didn’t see any of what lead to his being banned. Regardless, it was long past due. I wonder if it was a permaban or just a suspension. I know I hope it was for good.

Bring back JHill.

Comment

Working...
                                X