2022 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    That’s looks like a cayenne. I have several just like that. Leave em on the plant and they’ll turn a bright red. Great peppers for drying/grinding.
    I agree with cayenne

Comment

I feel lucky the heat hasn't killed off everything, but I am also hanging on by a thread. "Watermelons" quit growing shortly after they changed they transitioned Everyday right about now if I am home I go out and water the garden and within about 15 minutes they quit wilting. That seems to be the crutch to get them through each day. Not sure how many more 100+ days they can endure, but we'll keep plugging away! I should have enough Okra tonight for a meal. Good Luck everyone keep at it!

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
        I feel lucky the heat hasn't killed off everything, but I am also hanging on by a thread. "Watermelons" quit growing shortly after they changed they transitioned Everyday right about now if I am home I go out and water the garden and within about 15 minutes they quit wilting. That seems to be the crutch to get them through each day. Not sure how many more 100+ days they can endure, but we'll keep plugging away! I should have enough Okra tonight for a meal. Good Luck everyone keep at it!
        Our cucumbers are still producing, but they're so stressed that they're bitter. Everything else is just kind of hanging on. Getting a few tomatoes, okra, peas, peppers, and squash each week, but it's slow. Like you, I'm just trying to see if I can get them to hang on until cooler weather. I think mom wants to throw in the towel. She keeps telling me that it's OK if I want to pull it all up.

Comment

Tilled under my corn patch yesterday evening... will add compost, then cover it with a silage tarp until 1st of September. Then uncover and plant... Not sure what all I'll pant but by then, the pea patch will have ended and I may plant more peas. Will turn under the peas soon as this second planting is done producing. The second planting produced really well and we probably have 1 or 2 more pickings... I cut a 5 gallon bucket full of okra and peppers yesterday evening... Okra is off about a 30 foot row and peppers are all in grow bags... Had the best jalapeno peppers I've had in a long time and they are still doing well. They're on the automatic drip system that gives them a drink every morning at 6AM and every evening at 6PM... Maters are just hanging on with the same water... only the golden delicious cherry tomatoes are baring and they are small... Wish I could find a full size tomato that tasted like those little yeller fellers!! DANG they're good!!

Comment

This was my first year planting purple hull peas. Are these plants a 1 and done deal with regards to production? I already picked everyone of them and haven't seen anymore produced in 2 weeks, but the plants look healthy. Do I yank?

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
              This was my first year planting purple hull peas. Are these plants a 1 and done deal with regards to production? I already picked everyone of them and haven't seen anymore produced in 2 weeks, but the plants look healthy. Do I yank?
              From my experience they aren’t one and done. But this late you may be done especially with these temperatures unless you have some shade and water regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                First year for me also. Ours made pretty good in early June. I wasn't sure if they were done and almost pulled em all up. Several weeks later they started putting on new blooms and we're getting a few now.

Ordered a drip system yesterday. Should be here Friday. Actually got 2 of em, and that should be enough to water every plant except the peas. Going to pull the soaker hoses from the tomatoes, peppers, and cucumbers to put on the peas.

Comment

Thinking about planting purple hulls instead of green beans this fall. Are you guys planting bush variety or a vining variety? What are some popular 'models' for North Texas?

Comment

I think mine are pinky purple hulls. That's what the guy at the feed store told me most people here in East Texas plant. They didn't get as big as I remembered the bushes getting when I was a kid, but they're bigger than the people's up the road. We didn't fertilize or water in the beginning, like we should have. I've got 2 50' rows of them and a row of zipper creams. Not sure how much we've gotten off of them, but it's less than I was expecting. I'll probably get the same, if we do it again next year and try to do a better job on my part.

Comment

I'm m down to my tomatoe plants and pepper plants. Everything else is burned up except two zucchini and they are on their last leg. The tomatoes and peppers are still producing good and hopefully will make it through to the fall.

Comment

Another thing i done learned is an 8ft row of purple hull initially produced exactly 1 meals worth of peas.

Comment

This heat has been brutal on everything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We planted top pick pink eye (purple hull peas)... Our first year trying that variety. They did really well. We planted 6 40 foot rows, then about 4 weeks later, planted 4 more 40 foot rows... The second planting has done much better, but I think that is because I had a drip tape system installed by then. The first planting was hand watered, and when they were small plants, we got a flooding rain so we lost a lot of plants due to that and the rest were stunted. All in all, we've gotten probably 4-5 bushels of peas off them all. They sure are easier to pick than conventional varieties like the Mississippi purple hull peas and such. The peas are produced on a tall stem that sticks up above the main plant making the pea pods much more visible and higher off the ground. Our first planting is blooming and producing still. The second planting is REALLY getting after it still... We fertilized using a balanced water soluble fertilizer injected right into the root area of the plants via the buried drip tape below the plants... I put down the drip tape, then planted on top of it. That will be our standard planting for in-ground crops from now on!

As I posted above, I disc'd up the corn. Beforehand, I had to take up the drip tape... Most of it was on top of the ground so it was no big deal, however the last 4 rows was a second planting and the drip tape was buried and corn planted on top of it... I wasn't sure I was going to be able to get it up without destroying it... I turned on the water system and let the drip tape wet the area really well, then shut off the water and when the drip tape deflated as the water drained from it, I took off the plugged end pieces and was able to pull it horizontally about 10-12 feet at a time and got it up without issue. I was pleasantly surprised how easily it came up.

Comment

..double post
                              Last edited by SaltwaterSlick; 07-26-2022, 01:33 PM.

Comment

Couple pics of the top picks, second planting after they got going good with blooms before we picked the first time... When we picked them the first time, we got over 2 bushels of peas off 2 1/2 rows! They're ready to pick again too (for at least the 3rd or 4th time... They are showing no signs of slowing down so I keep pouring the water and fertilizer to 'em...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2587.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	176.7 KB
ID:	24687988

Name:	IMG_2588.JPG
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	24687989

5 more pints of sliced peppers on Saturday too... mixed this time, jalapeno, banana, beaver dam, pablano, and a few pimentos... Don't know how they're gonna taste, but they sure are pretty!

Name:	IMG_2642.JPG
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	24687990

Name:	68032496227__DB677A2D-8650-4C73-B619-FBD4103D857A.JPG
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	24687991

Comment

Working...