Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone moving stocks to more conservative safe haven areas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You should have a written investment plan with you allocation to stocks, bonds and cash. Within your stock allocation you should have a plan on how much you will hold in US vs International stocks. Include in that written plan a timeline as to your frequency of checking your allocation vs your plan.

When that date hits check your allocation vs the plan and rebalance if necessary to get back to your planned allocation. Don't put any emotion into it whatsoever. If your plan is 70% stocks and 30% bonds and you are 75% stocks and 25% bonds then you would sell stocks and buy bonds to get back to 70%/30%. This forces you to sell winners and buy losers.

Market timing is a loser's game and its been shown to be so time and time again.

Have a plan. Stick to it. Ignore the noise.

Comment

Lots of talk of multiple interest rate raises this Summer, like 75 bp's each time. Old adage is don't fight the Fed...going to be rocky for a while...

Comment

Originally posted by lck90 View Post
        This is somewhat correct. $10K if buying w/ cash, plus another $5K if using a tax refund.
        What's that?

A tax refund?

Comment

Moved portfolio into a conservative MIP2 .

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
            I believe you are correct on the max of $10K per year.
            Good to know! I thought you could buy a bond in 10k increments, so if you had 20k you would just buy 2. Good point.

Comment

Right the opposite. I increased my positions little over 10% in the last 3 days. Google, Amazon, Tesla, and Microsoft were really cheap IMO.
              Last edited by BrianL; 04-27-2022, 03:46 PM.

Comment

Use the surfer model. Ride the waves and stick with your plan.

Comment

Buy low and sell high is one strategy.

Buy when it feels good and sell when it's scary is the most common strategy though.

They're not the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Evil View Post
                    All I know is that Biden's policies have set back my retirement by at least 1-2 years. LOSER!!!!!
                    ^^^^ This.

Comment

You may look like a genius if tomorrow is as bad as afterhours looks. AAPL and AMZN going down.

Comment

Don't look good for the next several months into the future.

Comment

Looking like a good move. Markets are so weak.

But you have to have a plan to get back in. That's the hard part. You wait an hour too long and markets will be up 5-10% off bottom.

Comment

To me depends on your time remaining until withdrawal of funds such as retirement. If you have 10+ years until withdrawal I wouldn’t panic to the point of shifting. Keep in mind your dividend reinvestment & any contribution is buying more shares at lower $/share so when thing do correct & rebound you will have a higher share count

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                              Don't look good for the next several months into the future.
                              Got a shock upon opening the last dividend check. Not good at all.

Comment

This roller coaster is making my tummy tingle. I invest a set amount on a regular schedule every other Friday, both into my 401K and my S&P500 index funds, with the occasional larger investment as my cash accumulates to a certain level. And I am several years away from touching any of it, so these market shakeups shouldn't bother me. Maybe I'd be happier if I quit paying any attention at all to the market, and just let it do it's thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X