Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone moving stocks to more conservative safe haven areas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JBJTX81 View Post
    Yes it's easy to want to get in and out. I have a hard time stomaching paying my money manager to lose money but in the long run I'm up significantly from where I started. It's a marathon and I'm glad to be in the race. My philosophy might change as I get closer to retirement but I'll rid it out for now.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

In all reality the biggest thing you pay your money manager is to help you make smart decisions and keep emotions out of it. If they allow you to make big changes when the market hits some bumps, you need to find a new one. They either messed up in setting up your portfolio to begin with or they aren’t doing their job by holding you accountable to not make poor decisions. (Anyone can do that without paying someone… that’s easy!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Hell, if your money isn't growing it is worth less every day. That isn't exactly safe. It's frustrating to see what is happening to our country. If you look at a graph of the S&P 500 over the past 5 years it is still way up. Not saying I know what will happen in the future, but you have to think long term.
      Attached Files

Comment

Sold off my Roth several months back with all the uncertainty, but still looking for a good place to park it.

Comment

Originally posted by JRL View Post
          Sold off my Roth several months back with all the uncertainty, but still looking for a good place to park it.
          Take a peek at series I bonds.

Comment

All I know is that Biden's policies have set back my retirement by at least 1-2 years. LOSER!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Dr. Evil View Post
              All I know is that Biden's policies have set back my retirement by at least 1-2 years. LOSER!!!!!
              That’s my point. I understand the marathon concept. But if I had a choice to run it and stop and take a break for 30 mins or be told half way through turn around and start from a half a mile back again , I’m staying where I’m at. Interested to see where fellas have moved things from a conservative standpoint.

Comment

Originally posted by bow4my2 View Post
                That’s my point. I understand the marathon concept. But if I had a choice to run it and stop and take a break for 30 mins or be told half way through turn around and start from a half a mile back again , I’m staying where I’m at. Interested to see where fellas have moved things from a conservative standpoint.

The challenge with ‘sitting it out’ is that you need to be right twice to time the market. You’ve got to get out before the market drops and you’ve got to get in before it rebounds. Unfortunately, there’s no proven way to do this. Although, that doesn’t stop people from trying, which also has proven to lower investment performance. Take a look at that chart posted above and think about how scary it was when covid hit and the market tanked. With the economy shut down and all of the unknowns, it would have been hard to predict the recovery we experienced. There will always be reasons not to invest. Uncertainty and risk are what drive returns. You need to match your time horizon with your investments. If you need cash for retirement in the next three to five years (or any other goal) your investments for that money should reflect it. (Cash and/or cash equivalents) Stocks and most bonds are not typically thought of as short term investment vehicles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Lots of folks could gain a lot by spending a few minutes a day at Bogleheads.org

The market will go up and down. Your chances of hitting a swing perfectly are very low, better to buy along the way as stocks are 10% cheaper.

Buying and selling a bunch just makes you owe capital gains. Hold for ever and then only sell when you are old. You can take up to $80k on capital gains tax free when you are old so no reason to get hit with small gains now because you are nervous.

Comment

I rolled some of my 401K over out of stocks into cash balance a few months ago. I'm two years away from retiring if Biden don't fork it up and did not want to be in the shape I was in at March 2020 when covid tanked the markets and I lost several hundred thousand on paper. Just because its on paper it still looks bad with that many zeros negative!

I do not see anything good Biden will do for the economy/country in the next 2.6 years. It could get worse before it gets better.

I will buy back in to stocks if the market falls several thousand points.

Who knows what will happen? I just don't see the democrats doing anything to help it.

Interest rates are headed up; Oil is high; Inflation 40 year high; Supply chain is getting worse instead of better. There is a lot stacked against the stock market right now!

Comment

Downturns are normal, upturns typically follow downturns and usually last longer. This is what it feels like to buy low.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                        I rolled some of my 401K over out of stocks into cash balance a few months ago. I'm two years away from retiring if Biden don't fork it up and did not want to be in the shape I was in at March 2020 when covid tanked the markets and I lost several hundred thousand on paper. Just because its on paper it still looks bad with that many zeros negative!

I do not see anything good Biden will do for the economy/country in the next 2.6 years. It could get worse before it gets better.

I will buy back in to stocks if the market falls several thousand points.

Who knows what will happen? I just don't see the democrats doing anything to help it.

Interest rates are headed up; Oil is high; Inflation 40 year high; Supply chain is getting worse instead of better. There is a lot stacked against the stock market right now!
                        This is exactly where my mind is heading

Comment

No, but as a % of net worth, I don't have huge exposure to the securities/ equities markets. Probably only 10% in the market, another 70% is tied up in investment real estate, then some cash and precious metals.

I'll ride it out and keep dollar-cost averaging on up and down swings.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                            Take a peek at series I bonds.
                            They are great, but I believe the amounts you can buy are pretty low. LIke 10k a year per person.

I've been wrong before though.

Comment

Originally posted by rferg84 View Post
                              They are great, but I believe the amounts you can buy are pretty low. LIke 10k a year per person.

I believe you are correct on the max of $10K per year.

Comment

Originally posted by rferg84 View Post

This is somewhat correct. $10K if buying w/ cash, plus another $5K if using a tax refund.

Comment

Working...
                                X