Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jury Duty - If you have a way out, do you take it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We say a jury is complied of 12 people not smart enough to get out of it. I sit on the other side a few times a year. This year will be once a month I'm sure due to the pile of subpoenas I have.

It's not uncommon to see jurors half asleep, counting the ceiling tiles or braiding their hair while in the box

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

A good American would not try and get out of it

Comment

I glady serve.

Comment

I was in a summoned and they used zoom for the initial group and jury selection. Those selected would go in to the court when the case was tried. Ive been on 2 or 3 jurys. All were interesting cases.
          Zoom worked really well in my opinion. Fill out a form on line, and if you get a notice you log in, then listen. You can cover your camera unless you get called to question.

Comment

I've been called up several times.
            1) told the boss, drove to the jury parking lot and was greeted by deputy who said my number was not needed and I could leave. I would think they should know that way in advance so as not to waste MY time.
            2) Made it to the final round of a trial (girl suing parents, dad running for county office) and we waited around ALL DAY, then at the end, the court steward came out and told us that a 'mistrial' was declared and we were all dismissed. Turns out that was the THIRD time the exact same scenario had played out. Again, a huge waste of people's time.
            I did not earn any $$ that day.

The jury system is good, but there are too many sleazy lawyers.

Comment

Originally posted by NannySlayer View Post
              I’ve never been summoned.

I would do it in a heartbeat.

I doubt I would get selected due to my political stance and career.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Don't let that fool you Steph.
              I'm a conservative safety man in the trucking business. I've been selected on 4 juries, and one of those was a vehicle accident between a car and truck.

Comment

I go and answer all questions. Never been picked.

Comment

I served once, 5 days on a drug dealer, guy was making crack and selling it. 80 years, his third or fourth offense.

During that selection process one guy interrupted the process and said he wanted to make a statement. He stood up and said that we should just kill him, he’s a drug dealer, why waste time, take him out now and kill him…needless to say he was not selected.

Comment

I have zero respect for anyone that would actively try to get out of their civic duty. I have only been chosen once. It was a murder trial but after sitting in the jury room an entire day we were dismissed because they could not get one of the key witnesses out of the federal pen in a timely manner and the trial was postponed for 6 months.

-john

Comment

I have served on a jury for both criminal and civil cases in Houston years ago. Criminal was found guilty and given max sentence, civil plaintiff was not awarded anything.

I have been called several times since but never been selected. Go do it. We have a duty and can't complain about crime if we aren't willing to participate in the system. It isn't a perfect system but I would say it's the best there is.

Comment

To serve on an jury is everyone’s duty and a privilege, that people do not have in places like communist china.

Comment

No, I don’t have a legitimate reason to be excused. With the discount coupons (plea deals) they hand out like candy, probably don't even get to the trial anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                          Last edited by Graysonhogs; 01-12-2022, 07:34 AM.

Comment

No, I go every time. Too many ****ty ppl don’t show up and those are the ones that you would never want deciding your case. I’ll show up and normally get sent but but I did it. I was a foreman on a week long trial in Dallas. Actually pretty interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I wouldn't skirt it, but I don't shed a tear when I don't get picked. Jury of my peers is a bit disingenuous. Jury of whoever the lawyers could pick that best helped their case is more like it.

Comment

Been summoned a few times, selected once. First case was two Mexicans stabbing each other. Come trial time they couldn’t be found. Imagine that !

Second case was Father accused ex of having sex with her 17 year old stepson. She had a lawyer that ran rings around our hick DA and a mistrial was declared. I was glad because the little bastage was sitting over there smirking most of the time and I guarantee he was no child. He knew exactly what he did and was probably bragging to his buddies about it.

So, actually everyone’s time was wasted except the accused and the accuser, but I don’t regret serving and have always just let the chips fall when summoned.

Comment

Working...
                                X