No announcement yet.

Habitat management

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im doing a lot of the same stuff. One thing Im doing, I havent seen mentioned. Rabbitats. Hope to be able to beagle hunt my property for cottontails. I use my cut cedar to build brush piles. I also try to place them as line of site blocks for deer in areas where my property is too open.

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
      Im doing a lot of the same stuff. One thing Im doing, I havent seen mentioned. Rabbitats. Hope to be able to beagle hunt my property for cottontails. I use my cut cedar to build brush piles. I also try to place them as line of site blocks for deer in areas where my property is too open.

https://youtu.be/JdiX34Ksww0
      You run rabbit dogs? A lot of my stuff also creates rabbitat. Love running beagles.
      Last edited by Etxnoodler; 02-24-2021, 10:11 PM.

Comment

We have 600 acres in Central Texas. 400 acres are managed pasture land for growing livestock. We picked up another 200 adjacent acres about ten years ago; at the time it was entirely organic, had been neglected, and was overgrown with non-native, invasive species, especially Yaupon.

We have mechanically cleared three wide swaths of the non-native trees and Yaupon over-growth, leaving occasional copses of preferred trees (mostly Black Jack- or Post Oak in that area) for cover and protection of wildlife. We left a few "legacy" cedars and continue to have to beat back the Yaupon.

One of the primary goals is the re-establishment of native grasses. We first planned to re-seed but, like several of you have mentioned, once the thick overgrowth was removed and the dirt was turned, the sun took care of the rest and native grasses began to come back on their own.

Don't have pics but will be going up this weekend and will try to remember to take some.

Comment

Good quail habitat is also good rabbit and turkey habitat...and a lot of other critters. Manage for quail and the rest come as a bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by El Paisano View Post
            Good quail habitat is also good rabbit and turkey habitat...and a lot of other critters. Manage for quail and the rest come as a bonus.
            For sure! They are a great indicator species.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
              You run rabbit dogs? A lot of my stuff also creates rabbitat. Love running beagles.
              Not yet but I have a good place for it. Just need to find someone with dogs.

Comment

Another good thing is to go on Web Soil Survey and find your property. It will give you the historical plant community that lives/lived there (forbs, grasses, shrubs, trees). You can then get a good idea on the condition of your property and figure out if you have any of these preferred plants. We have a lot of live oaks, cedars, and mesquites on our property so we ended up planting around 20 or so trees from Nativ Nurseries (see link below).

Mossy Oak Nativ Nurseries is dedicated to growing the country's best seedlings and plants for nature enthusiasts, wildlife and habitat managers. Shop our plants and trees in our plant catalog including our oak trees for sale, native fruit trees for sale, hybrid oaks for sale and chestnuts for sale.

Comment

Originally posted by bgleaton View Post
                  Another good thing is to go on Web Soil Survey and find your property. It will give you the historical plant community that lives/lived there (forbs, grasses, shrubs, trees).
                  I found my property on the soil map but where is the info on vegetation?

Comment

Native grasses with forbes. Drill clover and soy beans into the grasses in spring and plant wheat / turnips in plots for winter. Free choice corn/DDG mix for Jan-March for carbs and energy.

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
                      Tell us more about the live stakes. What species does it work with? Locations that they're going in?
                      These were for a erosion control project. Most of the cuttings are willow species. You cut them while dormant and place about 2/3 of cutting in ground. It will form a tree from the cutting.

Comment

"Life is on the edges" and "the axe, cow, match and plow" are two phrases I manage by.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxnoodler View Post
                          How many do habitat management on their place or where they hunt? If so what do you do? I’m not talking about feeders or food plots. But stuff like disking, burning,Tsi, tree planting grubbing. in general not just stuff that benefits deer, but many animals. Obviously different areas of the state benefit different practices. Reading on here and other places it just seems like most hunters think that filling feeders is management and that’s as far as they go. So I’m just curious how many others do habitat management.

I’ll start.
                          I’m in northeast Texas. Native grass planting, burning, brush piles, timber thinning and tsi. Planting and promoting native tree/ vegetation.

Similar to yours but EQIP program. Haven't planted the native grass yet but soon. Cleared several acres of cedars and burnt the piles but now left with black, cedar poles everywhere. This summer I will have to keep it knocked down with the disc and spray till I plant next fall/winter.
                          How did the native grass mix work for you? Hard to get started or did it take right off?

Comment

Originally posted by armadillophil View Post
                            These were for a erosion control project. Most of the cuttings are willow species. You cut them while dormant and place about 2/3 of cutting in ground. It will form a tree from the cutting.
                            I have some spots this would work well on. So does it matter what part of the willow you use?

Comment

It works best with last years growth but on willows they grow pretty easy. Any spot that has a bud will turn into a root if underground. You want most of cutting underground so energy goes to root growth and not leaves on what is above ground.

Comment

Originally posted by El Paisano View Post
                                I’d be curious to know if anyone here has been able to successfully re-establish quail as a part of your habitat efforts?

Comment

Working...
                                X