Get your Duramax while you can

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
    please give me an example and what business does GM have to gain from announcing this? if they stop making gas/diesel engines then they know they have to have the technology to replace it so i'm guessing they have done their homework. the thing is people think that the technology to run an electric car is some huge deal but it's not what it used to be. imagine trying to run a ship on electric. guess what that technology is coming to. our company is in a pilot project right now. i'm talking about big ships too. there is a ton of money aggressively behind these projects.
    If you could snap your fingers today and have all electric vehicles happen where in hell would you get the kilowatts to charge all them. Use your head, it ain’t gonna happen like that. Eventually maybe, but not in a few years. Remember Obama’s shovel ready jobs ? Same thing. Big talk.

Comment

The people who have theses ideas don't actually have deal with the details or find solutions.

Comment

If I could recharge as fast as I can fill up then I would not mind having an electric truck ,but I don't want to sit on the side of the road for hours waiting on a battery to charge.

Comment

A lot of naysayers. It’s coming. I have and love my F250 diesel but I can see without a doubt in 15 years there will be electric trucks that will out perform diesel/gas trucks in everything. 15 years is a long time in this technology explosion we are living in. 15 years ago your phone was a Motorola Razr if you were lucky.

Comment

Has anyone seen the video of the charging station in California being run by a diesel generator? That's the new Green.............. I can't find the darn video now!!!

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunterhelm View Post
              A lot of naysayers. It’s coming. I have and love my F250 diesel but I can see without a doubt in 15 years there will be electric trucks that will out perform diesel/gas trucks in everything. 15 years is a long time in this technology explosion we are living in. 15 years ago your phone was a Motorola Razr if you were lucky.
              The infrastructure that would need to be in place to charge several million vehicles is not in place and will not be in place in 15 years.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                I think there is a growing realization that “the fix is in”, and it doesn’t matter anymore that the basis may not be legit. It has become the new money grab. The jump on the competition to drive infrastructure design (and capitalize on it as well), equipment design, materials and resource contracts, etc. are in a wide open all out sprint that is only increasing in intensity. By announcement, GM can position themselves to benefit from competition by European countries for new factories, or a piece of the pie in the supply chain.

This is not about the planet. This is about money. We could argue that countries with few O&G resources have succeeded in devaluing the US’s vast O&G resources to even the playing field, but now Exxon, DOW, GM, etc are pivoting to get ahead of the new economy. There will be dust, but I fully expect the existing hierarchy of industrial and commercial power to be in place when it settles.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I Agree completely
                I actually rail against it daily in my industry but I can’t ignore what I’m seeing and being told by the likes of ChevronTexaco, total, LyondellBasell, shell etc daily
                People have a plan and it’s going to require massive retooling and logistic changes and they are pushing forward and if you want to continue to do business with them then you better be looking at “sustainability” too.

It’s the new religion and it’s happening no matter how much I love my f250 or tractor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by doright View Post
                  If I could recharge as fast as I can fill up then I would not mind having an electric truck ,but I don't want to sit on the side of the road for hours waiting on a battery to charge.

So if you could pull into a gas station and simply exchange batteries would that work?
                  Don’t think that isn’t being looked at? Standard batteries.
                  Instead of gas stations they are simply battery exchange stations

Comment

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
                    So if you could pull into a gas station and simply exchange batteries would that work?
                    Don’t think that isn’t being looked at? Standard batteries.
                    Instead of gas stations they are simply battery exchange stations

It better be a full service station.....I don't even like changing my battery every 5 yrs much less every 400 miles lol.

Just buy your Duramax in 2034 and you should be good until at least 2050

Comment

Originally posted by doright View Post
                      That’s what I’m talking about. Just think of the time and money it will take to have charging stations built all over this country. The tech isn’t here.

Originally posted by bowhunterhelm View Post

I would be right there with you, but I still say 15 years ain’t gonna cut it.

Originally posted by BRust View Post
                      Has anyone seen the video of the charging station in California being run by a diesel generator? That's the new Green.............. I can't find the darn video now!!!
                      That’s what I’m taliking about !

Comment

One plus is I don’t think electric has a transmission to mess with

Comment

I plan to look at electric when my current F250 is done for. My main concern is battery life while towing. Anyone know if you can charge while you are driving? Instead of an auxiliary fuel tank you can mount a generator to charge while you're moving

Comment

Guys- stop worrying about this. If this nut that we now have as president gets this to go through, the next president after him, which will probly have a brain, will get rid of it. It’ll never make it.

Comment

it's not surprising what corporations will claim in order to obtain billions in tax payer funded grants.

Comment

They have been saying this kinda crap since the Mid 90's, its called a fantasy pipe dream

Comment

Working...
                                X