No announcement yet.

Raccoons won’t quit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve put it off too long but I finally ordered some traps. I am flat sick of every morning checking my Spypoint app and seeing the same thing. The “gang of seven” coons - one hanging upside down on the protein feeder raking goodies to his buddies below. I am looking forward to walking up in the morning and looking them in the eye with my Ruger Mark II in hand.

Comment

dog proof traps and .22 are your best bet

Comment

I guess dukes work good during the season if your gonna be out there every couple a days to clean up the mess.
        Do the ones caught in the traps bother the deer coming in and out?

Comment

Sent pm

BP

Comment

Coons

I use some little plastic plates. Cut a tight hole in the center a little small than the legs and slide it up half way are more then I would duck tape around the top and bottom. No Coon problem.

Comment

Duke’s dog proof traps will thin them out in a hurry.

Comment

Sell some pre season coon hunts

Comment

Best thing I have found is eliminator plates combined with the cage guards like what you added. With a focus of feeding heavy in the mornings. The dukes traps work great but as said, some of them will wise up to it. And, in my experience, a new crew of replacements will take up the slack within a couple weeks. Maybe not as many but Ive come to realize you cant ever get rid of them.

The deer seem to be somewhat bothered by the live coons in the traps. We have decided not to trap during season so we dont spook the deer or have to make extra trips in to our spots to remove the coons.

If one dies in the trap, the ensuing buzzards will definitely keep the deer ran off.

Comment

Can't stand these racoons

Comment

Originally posted by toledo View Post
                      Best thing I have found is eliminator plates combined with the cage guards like what you added. With a focus of feeding heavy in the mornings. The dukes traps work great but as said, some of them will wise up to it. And, in my experience, a new crew of replacements will take up the slack within a couple weeks. Maybe not as many but Ive come to realize you cant ever get rid of them.

The deer seem to be somewhat bothered by the live coons in the traps. We have decided not to trap during season so we don't spook the deer or have to make extra trips in to our spots to remove the coons.

If one dies in the trap, the ensuing buzzards will definitely keep the deer ran off.
                      I would say this is pretty accurate. Where we used to live, I could kill coons daily; all year long, for years. Never ran out of coons. I am finding the same thing with squirrels. I have killed so many squirrels since the spring of 2019, I lost track. I have killed a lot of them, and there are always many of them around. I have concluded with both the coons and squirrels, that when you do kill some in the area, others move in from somewhere else. There is no end to them.

I also agree with not trying to trap them during the season, at least not around the feeders.

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
                        I would say this is pretty accurate. Where we used to live, I could kill coons daily; all year long, for years. Never ran out of coons. I am finding the same thing with squirrels. I have killed so many squirrels since the spring of 2019, I lost track. I have killed a lot of them, and there are always many of them around. I have concluded with both the coons and squirrels, that when you do kill some in the area, others move in from somewhere else. There is no end to them.

I also agree with not trying to trap them during the season, at least not around the feeders.

Why not.....that is not going to ruin your hunting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                          I use coon cuffs like others mentioned here, but if you catch one or two, they soon learn to avoid the trap. I caught one at each of my feeders a month ago and have set them for about 5-7 more nights since then with no luck. I am overrun with coins as well. They are smart.

We are at 407 coons caught with Dukes traps on my lease since May 2015. You are giving them too much credit.

Comment

Temik is back on the market I hear

Comment

Just got 3 Dukes and got 2 the first 2 nights we tried it with catfood. Will save some $.

Comment

22 or 17

Comment

Working...
                                X