Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How do you know if your kid shoots left or right handed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do you know if your kid shoots left or right handed?

My five year old son is left handed. However, whenever he shoots a bb gun he goes back and forth from shooting right and left handed. Any tips for how to help him figure out which way to shoot? I have him shoot both ways and ask him which way is easier but he changes his answer each time.

Maybe find out which eye is his dominant eye? Could that help?

Comment

Definitely have him do a simple eye dominance test -it will make a huge difference to start him out properly. One of my sons is right handed but I figured out at age 5 he was left eye dominant. He started shooting a bb gun left handed and it became natural for him quickly.

Comment

Go with the dominate eye.

Comment

Shooting depends on eye dominance. Have him hold his arms out stretch in front of him, cross his hands leaving a small hole between the wenis of each hand (hold hands if wearing mittens, palms facing away from him, fingers and thumbs crossing one another, this hole for viewing is sort of like a peep sight). Have him pick out an object to look at through the peep hole, then center it with both eyes, then close one eye and alternate back and forth. The dominant eye will be the one where the picture does not move. Hard to explain, does that make sense?

Comment

Yep, test for dominate eye.

Comment

This

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
              Shooting depends on eye dominance. Have him hold his arms out stretch in front of him, cross his hands leaving a small hole between the wenis of each hand (hold hands if wearing mittens, palms facing away from him, fingers and thumbs crossing one another, this hole for viewing is sort of like a peep sight). Have him pick out an object to look at through the peep hole, then center it with both eyes, then close one eye and alternate back and forth. The dominant eye will be the one where the picture does not move. Hard to explain, does that make sense?
              Oh man! Five years old? He haw.
              RH people shooting LH because they are left eye dominate can make due shooting RH rifles & shotguns. They just have to get used to brass flying by their face.
              Except when your using a bolt action rifle and especially if your using a scope. Do the kid a big favor and buy him a LH bolt action rifle when he's old enough. If he is left eye dominate?
              Older Remington 700 BDL in 7MM & 30-06 are everywhere and can be bought at "regular" prices 308 not so much.
              Lever action and semi automatics rifle also help with if your RH but left eyed.
              If your 5 year old son is left eyed? You might consider other thing like teaching him to bat LH or be a switch hitter. Good luck and remember he's 5 & is still a knucklehead.
              Last edited by texaspacker; 12-06-2018, 01:35 PM.

Comment

Thanks. I'll try the dominant eye test and see what I can figure out.

Comment

I'm left eye dominant and shoot right handed. Never had any issues with it really. Keep both eyes open when you shoot.

Comment

Like others said, figure out which eye is dominant.

I have a LH brother that has always shot (and missed) right handed. Recently started shooting lefty and STILL couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. I'm not exaggerating. He literally misses more often than not. I watched him miss the largest deer EVER seen on our property from 10yds with an AR. Swear! By now, it's a mental issue. Pictures the miss before he even shoots.

Point is, figure out which eye is dominant and start him off correctly. Will save a lot of frustration/embarrassment in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackHogDown View Post
                      Like others said, figure out which eye is dominant.

Point is, figure out which eye is dominant and start him off correctly. Will save a lot of frustration/embarrassment in the future.
                      This is great advice.

Comment

My 8 year old is definite righty but has to shoot left handed because of Dominant Eye. Made a huge difference once i figured out what was going on.

Comment

he's too young to bother with such things. Give him a couple of years so that he understands things better.

Comment

Be aware eye dominance can change as they they grow up

Comment

My son was left eye dominant, but right handed. At that age, I just taped up his left lens on the eye protection. Once he got old enough to control the eyes where he could squint the left, the tape came off. He’s 18 now, shoots everything right handed with no ill effects.

Comment

Working...
                              X