No announcement yet.

Chaparral 2018 thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really don't know what all the rave is about on chaparral. Hunted from the 27th thru the 29th of this month, November 2018. Got back Thursday, it was my first time there, but it may be my last. That place literally sucked. And it wasn't for lack of deer, but for lack of legal deer to shoot. God only knows what happened to the does, cause they were no where to be seen. The place seems to be overpopulated with bucks. And the 7 points and under, 12 inch spread rule is just ridiculous. The staff tells you anything under 12 inches, even by a measly 1/4 inch could get you in trouble. There advice is if in doubt, don't shoot. Well there doesn't seem to be any legal bucks to shoot on that place. I left early and I don't recall seeing any bucks in the cold storage. I was fortunate to have bagged a doe that walked out in front of my blind. I have more does coming to my 8 acre property than what I saw on that 15000+ acre wma. Do have a trail cam set up, that is how I know. They really need to change the AR rules, so that hunters have a better opportunity at bagging a buck with out worrying about how wide a buck's rack is. Very disappointed in that wma and TPWD in general.
    Last edited by lordvader; 12-01-2018, 12:10 AM.

Comment

It's a hard place to hunt. I don't think anyone will argue that. These aren't park deer and they don't react well to pressure.

Add to that it's been a very wet year which makes this place that much harder as if is loaded with quality browse.

Lastly, they try to manage to the carrying capacity of the pasture so it may not have as a many deer per acre as other places do.

You said you left early, you can't leave that place early, the deer aren't going to roll over and kill themselves. It's a tough place but that good deer could walk out at any time.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

As I said it was not for lack of deer, but for lack of legal deer. I honestly believe that there doe population is quite small, as not many were seen. We were allowed 2 bucks and 1doe or vice / versa. 7 points or under with a 12 inch spread. Saw plenty of bucks, just none you could shoot at. All the 6 pointers I saw in close were less than 12 inches, or they were at a distance and they moved to much. Saw a lot of 8+ point deer, and those were not legal to begin with, which is understandable. This was a GDM hunt. My intention was to take the doe's and not take a chance on any buck, it's not worth the risk to me. And I left early because the probabilities were that there would be no legal bucks to shoot at and doe's were scarce to say the least. I pay a lot of money on application fees every year in the hopes of getting a chance to get drawn to hunt deer and fill my freezer with meat, not put horns on my wall. Then if drawn, take time off work plus other expenses that go with a hunt. I just want what every other hunter wants, a chance to take game legally. But with all the restrictions sometimes all you can do is watch the deer go by. If I wanted to do that I would just go to some wild animal pet farm, or the zoo. I think tpwd should be managing deer numbers in a given region that can sustain that population, not horn size. Anyway that's my opinion.

Comment

I spent 4 days there a few years ago, shot a nice 10-point, and saw 6 or 7 nice bucks, including a stud that I watched for about 30 min because I’d already burned my tag on the buck i’d already killed. It was the best hunting experience I’d ever had, but then again, I’ve only hunted in east Texas where you can go a whole season without seeing a big shooter buck.
          Last edited by bullets13; 12-01-2018, 03:49 AM.

Comment

I agree the management buck they're looking to kill is a low part of the population. I feel like they do that as it's one of the few but yet simple management practices they can use to take a few deer out every year.

Your comment about the fear factor is true. I've seen them and a couple other go overboard and then some basically wash over it.

I was there Tuesday and noticed the biologist who's been there for many years wasn't there. The new guy seemed a little short with people.

Comment

Just can’t make everyone happy.

Comment

Originally posted by lordvader View Post
                As I said it was not for lack of deer, but for lack of legal deer. I honestly believe that there doe population is quite small, as not many were seen. We were allowed 2 bucks and 1doe or vice / versa. 7 points or under with a 12 inch spread. Saw plenty of bucks, just none you could shoot at. All the 6 pointers I saw in close were less than 12 inches, or they were at a distance and they moved to much. Saw a lot of 8+ point deer, and those were not legal to begin with, which is understandable. This was a GDM hunt. My intention was to take the doe's and not take a chance on any buck, it's not worth the risk to me. And I left early because the probabilities were that there would be no legal bucks to shoot at and doe's were scarce to say the least. I pay a lot of money on application fees every year in the hopes of getting a chance to get drawn to hunt deer and fill my freezer with meat, not put horns on my wall. Then if drawn, take time off work plus other expenses that go with a hunt. I just want what every other hunter wants, a chance to take game legally. But with all the restrictions sometimes all you can do is watch the deer go by. If I wanted to do that I would just go to some wild animal pet farm, or the zoo. I think tpwd should be managing deer numbers in a given region that can sustain that population, not horn size. Anyway that's my opinion.

So what you’re saying is you saw lots of deer that are going to be shootable for the general deer bow hunts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTrophyBowhunter View Post
                  So what you’re saying is you saw lots of deer that are going to be shootable for the general deer bow hunts?

That's one way to look at it. I was planning to go try for a standby but didn't want to make the drive for just one spot. Now they've added a few spots but I've made plans to go on a killing spree in Sonora with my dad.

Best of luck fellas, will be a tough hunt but you know the one could walk out at any time.

I was on the management hunt two years ago and saw two deer I would have shot on the bow hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
                    That's one way to look at it. I was planning to go try for a standby but didn't want to make the drive for just one spot. Now they've added a few spots but I've made plans to go on a killing spree in Sonora with my dad.

Best of luck fellas, will be a tough hunt but you know the one could walk out at any time.

I was on the management hunt two years ago and saw two deer I would have shot on the bow hunt.

I’m going to stay optimistic I know for sure there is big deer there just getting to hunt there and knowing that a giant might step out is all I need to keep me motivated.

Comment

You left early, why even apply?

If I am taking time off work to hunt I am not leaving early.

Comment

Y’all are all wrong, he is correct this place sucks and everyone need not apply or show up. I have hunted it 4 times and have not shot a deer yet. It really sucks and sucks bad. I don’t even think I will bother this yr going again. It’s a total waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                          Y’all are all wrong, he is correct this place sucks and everyone need not apply or show up. I have hunted it 4 times and have not shot a deer yet. It really sucks and sucks bad. I don’t even think I will bother this yr going again. It’s a total waste of time.

Yeah what he said! Everyone one stay at home!

Comment

Don't go to the chap it terrible put in for other draws

Comment

Anyone else make it to the gun hunt last week?

Comment

From the people I talked to it was very slow and mostly young bucks seen. Prob gonna be better on the second hunt once they get some cold weather

Comment

Working...
                                X