No announcement yet.

Forensic Gunsmith

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the term you are looking for is "Firearms Examiner". Most of the one's in Texas probably work for crime labs or own private firms consulting on criminal and civil cases. Defense attorneys in your area will probably have a contact for one that could take a look at it.

Comment

I'm betting once the bolt head is removed and inspected, it will tell the tale.

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
        Any pics of the spent case...I would think an obstruction would show evidence in the bbl itself. This stuff spooks me.
        Spent case is still in the gun. The bolt snapped and the casing is still lodged forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
          Browning's parent company/owner (Herstal Group) is based out of Belgium. They have contracts with Miroku Corp. in Japan to produce shotguns and rifles.

OP, make sure your friend does NOT send the evidence to Browning in Utah as he will never see it again.

He wants someone to review forensics, IMO the ammo is equally liable. Rifles just don't go BOOM unless there's a problem with the ammo or obstruction in barrel. Powder charge and powder composition need to be examined as this could easily be a Federal issue
          Thanks for the correction, Cajun Blake. I knew I didn't say that correctly, but we both agree, do not send it back to Browning. I also agree, it is unlikely the problem was with the gun. The manner of catastrophic failure has me thinking bore obstruction of some sort. The obstruction is likely still in the bore too. I speak with first hand experience. I will tell you the story some day over a beer

Comment

In for the answer

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TXRM1280 View Post
              Spent case is still in the gun. The bolt snapped and the casing is still lodged forward.
              I bet the brass case head is welded to remaining bolt face and likely welded to the chamber.

Im pretty firm in my belief that it was an ammo issue ... weak primer pocket ?

The action did it’s job as the rifle exploded at its weakest point ... stock and bolt body

Comment

I'm with Blake.

I'm also pretty confident our firearms examiner would say something like..

When fired under normal circumstances, it did not perform correctly

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m reading and learning. Here’s a link to folks who consult in firearm and tool marks- not exactly what you want but it’s related firearms.

My suggestion is to find a couple firms in Texas, call and ask for the owner and ask if he can suggest who best to speak to about a rifle failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Artos View Post
                    Any pics of the spent case...I would think an obstruction would show evidence in the bbl itself. This stuff spooks me.
                    My understanding was it was still lodged in the barrel

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                    Looks like overpressure ammo, and/or case head separation. One way for it to happen is a bullet hanging in the rifling when the round is unloaded. Next round goes in and Kaboom. Usually a barrel obstruction in a centerfire splits the barrel.

My brother fired a .308 in his M700 .270. Didn't hurt the rifle at all. Had it inspected by a gunsmith, and x-rayed by a friend in the inspection biz.

Hope we get to find out what happened here. Glad he didn't get hurt.
                    How is this possible?

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post

How is this possible?

Thats what I said when I read it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

How is this possible?
                        My cousin put 1 of his 308. rounds through my 25-06 sendero. Gas blew out, loud as all get out, and put some powder in his eye. Had to have surgery to remove it.

Dad took the gun to his gunsmith, he said it was fine. Dad then sent it to Remington, and they said it was 100% good to go, as well. That was 20 yrs ago, and the gun still shoots sub moa, everyday, all day.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                          My cousin put 1 of his 308. rounds through my 25-06 sendero. Gas blew out, loud as all get out, and put some powder in his eye. Had to have surgery to remove it.

Dad took the gun to his gunsmith, he said it was fine. Dad then sent it to Remington, and they said it was 100% good to go, as well. That was 20 yrs ago, and the gun still shoots sub moa, everyday, all day.
                          Learned something new

Comment

A gun exploding scares me to death. I hop I never experience it.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawhunter View Post
                              A gun exploding scares me to death. I hop I never experience it.
                              You and me both

Comment

How is this possible?

I think it is because the M700 is one strong action. Like the 25-06 in the other post. That smaller bore you would really think would be an issue. I think bullets are softer than we think. I shoot a lot of cast in pistols, and a couple of thousandths over bore diameter is nothing, and is required. Of course, pistols don't work at near rifle pressures.

Comment

Working...
                                X