Home ac help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home ac help

I have an issue with my home ac. I was wondering what these two components are called. They are in the condenser unit.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Relay and reversing valve. Is it stuck in heat mode?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by LonestarGent View Post
      Relay and reversing valve. Is it stuck in heat mode?

Yep.

Not very often you see that type of relay in a condenser. Maybe a less-zoomed pic? Maybe a mcguyver job if not a really old unit.

Comment

Less zoomed in.

Comment

This is a unit from the 80s. The fan and the condenser do not turn on. I have 220 to the unit, the capacitor has been tested and is good. I replace the contactor and the fan motor. I replace the fan motor just because the bearings were going out last time I used it. When I turn the unit on, I do not get the 24 volts to the contactor which would Supply voltage to the compressor and fan motor. What sends 24 volts to the contactor?
          Last edited by stinkbelly; 04-09-2019, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
            This is a unit from the 80s. The fan and the condenser do not turn on. I have 220 to the unit, the capacitor has been tested and is good. I replace the contactor and the fan motor. I replace the fan motor just because the bearings were going out last time I used it. When I turn the unit on, I do not get the 24 volts to the contactor which would Supply voltage to the compressor and fan motor. What sends 24 volts to the contactor?
            Transformer in the air handler but need to confirm the call from the stat.

Comment

Does it have a wiring diagram you could take a pic of? Unit could have pressure switches or temp switches Keeping it off.

Most older residential units don't have much in the way of pressure and temp limit switches on them. But there are always exceptions, typically on deluxe models. the relay is most likely a defrost relay. On newer units it will be mounted on the circuit board.

Dadgummit my typing skills suck tonight, must be the narcotics. I mistype at least one letter per sentence.

Comment

I was told if the air handler blows, then the transformer is good. Is that correct?

I will get a diagram tomorrow. I don't like snakes in the dark.

Comment

If you’re not getting 24 to the contactor, then the problem is either the Tstat or control board in the indoor unit. Possibly the transformer.

Easiest way to tell if the outdoor unit components work is just press in the contactor and see if everything comes on. That will tell you the problem is inside the house for sure.

Does the inside unit come on? Turn on the Fan on the tstat and see what happens. No fan, means either tstat, Control board or transformer is bad.
                  Last edited by txoutdoorsman24; 04-09-2019, 09:27 PM.

Comment

Pushing in the contactor will only tell you if the compressor and fan are capable of running or not. This being a heat pump it is somewhat more complicated than a straight ac unit. That's why I asked for a wiring diagram, to assist with troubleshooting. You could have as many as 8 low voltage control wires coming into this unit. A voltmeter and the ability to use it will be required.

Comment

Pull inside cover and check 3 amp fuse first. Also verify that you are getting power to the inside unit.

Comment

Here is the diagram from the unit.

Comment

When I turn the thermostat to Cool and set the temperature below the current temperature the blower in the house will turn on and it will blow air. Nothing happens on the outside of the house.

This is a heat pump as stated earlier. Around Christmas it sounded like the bearing in the fan motor in the outside unit were starting to go bad. I decided to turn the unit to electric element heating and replace the motor later. I forgot and when I decided to turn the AC on this year it would do nothing. That is how I got to where I am now. I knew I needed a new fan motor. I decided to replace the contactor because it is original. I had the capacitor tested by the electric motor shop that sells motors and they said it was good.

I was told that if the inside blower fan is blowing it isn't a problem with the transformer. I don't know if that is correct or not.

I didn't see the 3amp fuse referenced above. Where should I look for that?

I put new batteries in the thermostat just to be safe.

Comment

Freon leak and automatic shut-off?

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
                              When I turn the thermostat to Cool and set the temperature below the current temperature the blower in the house will turn on and it will blow air. Nothing happens on the outside of the house.

This is a heat pump as stated earlier. Around Christmas it sounded like the bearing in the fan motor in the outside unit were starting to go bad. I decided to turn the unit to electric element heating and replace the motor later. I forgot and when I decided to turn the AC on this year it would do nothing. That is how I got to where I am now. I knew I needed a new fan motor. I decided to replace the contactor because it is original. I had the capacitor tested by the electric motor shop that sells motors and they said it was good.

I was told that if the inside blower fan is blowing it isn't a problem with the transformer. I don't know if that is correct or not.

I didn't see the 3amp fuse referenced above. Where should I look for that?

I put new batteries in the thermostat just to be safe.
                              Does the contactor close on the call for cool?

Comment

Working...
                              X