No announcement yet.

Favorite 223 Ammo for Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've killed a butt load of axis, both bucks and does, sheep and pigs with the Winchester 64 gr. Ranger PowerPoint.

I'm about out of those so I purchased 5 boxes of the 75 gr. Speer Gold Dot. Its shooting sun MOA in my Bushmaster and I'm anxious to test it out.

Comment

I have a slow 1:12 twist so the Barnes 55 grainers shoot the best. Aim for bone.

Comment

What is the range that you guys are shooting? And is that head shots or just well placed shots?

Comment

We have killed them with neck shots & right behind the shoulders on both deer & pigs.

Comment

Heart /lung area or high shoulder. The farthest I've had one go was 30 yards. Maybe

Comment

Only had the chance to shoot a couple but one dropped at about 80yds and other ran a circle and dropped. We are using Hornady Full Boar 50gr GMX. Once these are gone, going to try the 55gr GMX.

Comment

I've killed a total of four deer with my .223. I just shot a big buck last weekend at 200 yards and dropped him in his tracks. I highly recommend the Hornady American Whitetail 60 Gr. Bullet. I've had nothing but good results with it out of my Remington 700 .223 VTR.

Comment

Fed Fusion or Hornady.....Mine depends on which AR, they seem to be finicky on which groups better

Oh and if you put in the ear hole it really doesn’t matter

Comment

DRT bullets look interesting. I'd like to know how they perform on heavier bodied critters.

Comment

Remington 55 grain PSP Core Lok. Dropped several in the shoulder or double lung shots.

Comment

I use 55 grain Remington premier ballistic tip I've taken next shots and Body Shots never had one go more than 25 yards not a pass-through on Bodyshop but destroyed the lungs and heart. Shot placement is critical! I also hunt with a 22 Hornet not over a hundred yards though!

Comment

This Hornady 55 grain GMX Superformance should be the cat's meow:

The page you are looking for could not be located. We're sorry, but it appears the page you have requested is no longer available. Please check the URL and try again....

Comment

Originally posted by skooter View Post
                            I know some will say it is too small, but for those of you who hunt deer with a 223, what is your go to off the shelf ammo? I’d like to take one with the AR this year. I did a quick search, but didn’t see anything.

Thanks,
                            Skooter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            What is the twist rate of your barrel?

Comment

1:7. I ordered some Barnes Vor-TX in 70 gr to try out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DWA View Post
                                75 gr speer gold dot. Stuff just dies. 15 bucks a box you can shoot as many as you want
                                I never knew gold dot made rifle ammo.

Comment

Working...
                                X