Close encounter of the copperhead kind.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Close encounter of the copperhead kind.

Decided to hunt yesterday evening in a pop up blind. I am hanging out enjoying not sweating to death and notice a little movement by my feet. Cue the, scream like a little girl sound track, and nearly rip out of the blind like the hulk tearing through a t-shirt video and I managed not to get bit. Now this little dude would not leave. I found a nice long stick and poked and slapped and he just game me the middle finger, or tongue in his case. I finally decided he could have it. Luckily I had a harness with me and went up one of my tree stands to enjoy the rest of the evening. I sent my bride a text and told her that pop up was dead to me and it was time to build an elevated box blind.

Is there anything that works to keep the snakes out of a pop up? I've always looked for snakes, but never had one in the blind, much less slither in while I'm in it. Glad it was me and not one of my kids.

We are covered up in copperheads around here. I don't think you can keep them out of a blind.

A dude in south Georgia(where I hear copperheads are rare) just got bite while he was hunting. Medical bills are over 200k.
    Thursday, Sept. 26 started out like another typical day of bow season for Dave Johnson, of Waycross. Dave, 47, hunts as often as he can at Dixon Memorial WMA in Ware County. Little did he know that this hunt was going to be anything but typical. After sitting in the stand for a little while,…

Comment

I don’t know of any way to keep them out but I always pitch my pop up on top of a piece of indoor/outdoor carpet so I can tell at a glance if a snake has taken up residence before getting in

Comment

this is why I elevate my pop-up about 6'. no snakes.... but spiders are another story.

Comment

I elevated mine about 4' and no issues. Attached popup to the platform.

Now, I did go to put a tarp on my riding lawn mower the other day. Started the mower, let in run a minute or so, turned it off, lifted the front to put the tarp under the tires, covered it, went to lift the back to do the same and heard a rattle. Good enough. I left.

Comment

I had one myself opening weekend. Walking up my trail and happened to look down and there he was about 3 ft from where I was about to walk. Could have been a bad morning for sure! Those rascals blend in well with that pine straw too!
            Attached Files

Comment

I was weedeating the other day. Was walking backwards and had an 18"er slither a couple inches from the toe of my steel toed boots. It took me a few seconds to register what just happened. Glad he wasn't aggressive! He still got trimmer line to the head!

Comment

I jumped over this rascal on my morning run this last week...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Elevated platform!

Comment

well...don't scream like a girl scout. Keep a machete in the blind and relocate his head from his rear end with one whack and get back to hunting.

Comment

We only buy the popups with the zip in floor.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom View Post
                        well...don't scream like a girl scout. Keep a machete in the blind and relocate his head from his rear end with one whack and get back to hunting.

What he said[emoji3516][emoji3516][emoji3516] but I do put dirt all around the bottom for that and to keep breeze out that likes to float my sent out the window. No snakes yet.

Comment

Kill that POS. I know you snake lovers hate that. But it’s poisonous and has little value to a human getting bit.

Comment

Ain't going to lie. Every time I get in a pop-up it is on my mind.

Comment

Originally posted by sixwarden9 View Post
                              Cue the, scream like a little girl sound track, and nearly rip out of the blind...
                              What? You didn't take a picture for the GS before your exit?

I am not ashamed to say I have had the same reaction in similar situations.

Comment

Working...
                              X