Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk
    LMAO you need to pull yours

Comment

Home school home school home school

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
        Home school home school home school
        I agree.

They have 4 kids. I think my DIL had all the homeschooling she could handle in 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
          I agree.

They have 4 kids. I think my DIL had all the homeschooling she could handle in 2020.
          Yes Sir I hear you.

I just hate that this is what we are doing to the kiddos in our own schools…. I say defund the teacher unions…

And good on you taking time to help your grandkids….

Comment

Wait until he starts drawing lines and pictures to figure it out. It takes them twice as long to show there work this way than how we were taught.

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
              Dumbing down of society pretty sure it is working
              This is the true goal

Take something simple and complicate it

Comment

Can someone help me understand the thought process being used to solve this?

This isn’t how I learned to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                You were trained to do this your mind just does it automatically.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                  That’s kinda like driving through California to get to New York from Texas.
                  Only nobody wants to go to NY or Kali…..

Comment

Originally posted by jaspermac View Post
                    The process is called decomposing numbers. It’s a pretty common way to teach math
                    Decomposing means rotting. Hmmmmm…….. I agree it’s a rotten way to teach something that simple.

Comment

That method looks like a solution in search of a problem...

Comment

Stupid!

Comment

Originally posted by Buck_jane View Post
                          Wait until he starts drawing lines and pictures to figure it out. It takes them twice as long to show there work this way than how we were taught.

Wait until you see that the hand-written work to figure out the answer for 4+5 is different than it is to figure out 5+4.

One uses the 'double plus one' rule and the other uses the 'double minus 1' rule.

Comment

Stupid!!!

Comment

So in order for a 7 year old to learn simple subtraction. They have to learn how to divide the first number by 2 then start solving the problem? Who came up with this mess? I don’t even know how to help him because it seems so unnecessarily complicated to solve it the way the book shows.

What was wrong with the old school way?

What if it’s 21-9?

10.5 and 10.5?

It started in the late 90s, back then called the New Math or Chicago Math. I did a paper on it, detailing how bad it was and got my paper handed back to me until I changed it. Right then I realized what a jerk my professor was and changed it.

Comment

My wife was showing me some papers where the kids "couldn't get it" doing that. We had an intense discussion (read argument) about how idiotic that method of teaching is but that's the way they do it.
                                Too much of education no longer makes sense.
                                My helper went to the the local community college and is fixin ta graduate with his associate degree and all he's taken is basic math, histories, English literature, psychology and a ton of "electives" . He has yet to take a single course geared toward his career field. Says he has to go to a different school for that. Our education system is messed up.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X