No announcement yet.

F150 tow capacity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer weight ratings are calculated using perfect conditions and just like MPG ratings are manipulated for bragging rights. An F150 "can pull" 12,500 lbs, but a Tundra is rated at 10,000 for instance. Sounds like a huge difference, but in the real world neither one of those half tons will be comfortable or arguably safe with that kind of weight. An ecoboost/10 speed will get going faster than the 5.7/6 speed because of the torque difference, but neither one of them will stop as safe as a 3/4 ton. Get a bigger truck.
    Last edited by jdg13; 05-04-2021, 12:14 PM.

Comment

F150 tow capacity?

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
      My brother in law has a similar sized trailer, and I wouldn’t want to pull it with anything less than a 3/4 ton. Weight wise it’s towards the heavier end of your trucks capabilities, but size wise it’s beyond. That long trailer will manhandle lighter trucks when then the wind gets to blowing or a semi blows past you.

Originally posted by bermise View Post
      I second this

I third this. The truck will pull it and stop it (electric brakes) but it absolutely not going to be an enjoyable towing experience. You’ll be worn out every time you tow it from fighting wind sway and just overall stability. And a trailer that big will absolutely drag a truck around in a panic maneuver.

You don’t have to get a diesel but I’d definitely step up to at least a 250/2500 truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Last edited by Mike D; 05-04-2021, 12:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave W View Post
        I have a 2020 F150 4wd with the 3.5 eco and the max trailer package, Roadmaster active suspension, and equilizer hitch .

I recently saw a used RV for sale that I like at a good price. The problem is its bigger /heavier than I wanted to tow.

It is a 32' model , 38' total, that weighs 7400# dry, 930# hitchweight

The truck has the GVWR 7000# package , curb weight of 4950#, a GCWR of 19400 and a max trailer rating of 12,500. Truck payload will not be much probably 750#. I dont know about the cargo weight of the trailer maybe 1,000#??
        So according to those specs I think I am good.

How is it in real life? Any experiences?

I know its longer and a wind catcher . I had wanted to keep it less than 7000lbs
        I have a 33' lightweight trailer <6000#, that blew me all over the road in a storm so I am gunshy.

I have quite a bit of experience towing with f150 Eco. Have towed a 26 foot box, 31 foot overall travel trailer all over the country. From Texas to Maine, Alabama to Idaho. Made round trip here to Idaho twice last year with it.

Here are my thoughts. The weight won't be that much of a issue. Getting your sway and wind deflection will be a bigger issue. No experience with the equalizer hitch but hitch setup is paramount. No truck will tow a travel trailer correctly with a bad hitch setup.

I know I was safely setup, and would tow across country again. Bow waves off 18 wheelers were tolerable and braking was fantastic, not sure what the commenters are talking about when doubting stopping ability (maybe they don't pull trailers with functional brakes?). If I turned the gain up the trailer would start pulling on the truck during braking. That said, what you are talking about is a BIG trailer with a lot of wind loading. I would select a smaller trailer, or trade your basically new truck back in and get a SD and a fifth wheel. Caveat to that is if you are only planning 4 or 5 hour in Texas day trips. But if you are planning on driving across the country through mountain winds etc, that is a different story. We are planning on getting rid of our travel trailer and getting a SD fifth wheel combo in the next few years.

Comment

No way I'd pull that with a 1/2 ton. It will pull it, but a bumper-pull that long is going to sway like all hell in any kind of wind. As Mike D said, you don't necessarily need a diesel, but I'd definitely step up to at least a 3/4 ton gasser.
          Last edited by Raider4044; 05-04-2021, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Don't do it!

Comment

Originally posted by cj7zrcool View Post
              I'd buy a bigger truck or a smaller trailer.

Yep.... don’t let a lack of good judgement be the reason you or someone else gets hurt or worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a similar setup, except my truck is the 5.0l v8 engine. I've towed it to Nashville and back then to Orlando and back. I limit my driving each day to about 400 miles per day because it wears me out. I also have the best weight distribution sway control money will buy with the 4 way sway control. Without it, I wouldn't consider it.

It's doable but not enjoyable. High winds really suck.

Once divorce is final and I'm not living in it, I may either sell mine or get a bigger truck. Just waiting to see what this divorce costs me before I decide whats next
                Last edited by BigL; 05-04-2021, 02:26 PM.

Comment

F150 tow capacity?

Originally posted by jaime1982 View Post
                  It's not what you can tow but what you can stop. Safely

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

This
                  That truck will pull it but I would not want to be trying to manage that size camper On a steep grade or high wind much less wet road

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                    My brother in law has a similar sized trailer, and I wouldn’t want to pull it with anything less than a 3/4 ton. Weight wise it’s towards the heavier end of your trucks capabilities, but size wise it’s beyond. That long trailer will manhandle lighter trucks when then the wind gets to blowing or a semi blows past you.

This is right on, Dad and I pull a skid steer and cattle and all kinds of stuff with our 1/2 tons. The one exception is box trailers and RV’s... that huge wind shear is a game changer.

It’s doable and I’ve had a 32’ RV that was a real pain with my ecoboost, had to do 60-65 to be safe and it’s was awfully squirrelly. Got to where I’d rather get a hotel or tent camp, traded for a 24’ RV and now we take it everywhere!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

My company owns a similar size TT that I have pulled, there are only 2 of us that are authorized to pull the trailer and I am the only one that will pull it as I am the only one with a 3/4 ton truck. Yes a F150 can pull it and stop it with the correct setting on the trailer brakes. But that thing will blow a truck all over the road when taking it out to WTX on I-10 or I-20, it is not a comfortable drive pulling it.

So with all of that said, I would either not get that trailer, or I would go trade in the truck and get at least a 3/4 ton truck, preferably a LWB with air bags.

Comment

Speaking from experience I wouldn't do it. I made the mistake of pulling a 31 footer that was in spec of my Yukon XL Denali. No issues in Texas or Kansas... the problems started when I tried pulling it in the Colorado mountains. That decision cost me over $4,000 in a differential replacements.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

White nuckle driving in any wind!

Comment

It's going to be a white knuckle pull most of the time if you do...

Comment

I tow a lot from tractor trailers down and there is no way I would consider that set up.

Comment

No way in heck I would go that big. IMO anything over 30' box is pushing a 1/2ton.

Comment

Working...
                                X