South Texas Public Land Nilgai

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Texas Public Land Nilgai

So my cousin and I have stumbled upon some information on the web that there are salt flats and little islands in South Texas maybe around Port Mansfield or off the bay from the King Ranch where you can hunt Nilgai that have escaped a ranch and populated the areas. If anyone has any hints or tips, we have an elite onx membership so E-scouting isn't an issue. If you could shoot me a message with a little help that would be awesome! Please and thank you.

Best tip, 100% make sure you aren’t on King or El Sauz property!

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
      100% that's why we're relying on this onx app

Comment

Probably not meant for DIY, I’m interested in this also though. Good luck on your search.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed323 View Post
          Yea, ain't that the truth. Would not want to be there, with guns and find out the hard way, I was on the wrong piece of land.

Comment

The only spot I’ve heard of is the Laguna Atascosa, but that is draw only

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Those spoils are a pretty grey area. Not sure how accurate on X is with theses types of areas but I’d definitely verify with a local GW before making a trip.

Comment

I believe TPWD uses OnX too, so it should be accurate. You might double check me on that tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Not sure where you got this secret information, but there is a chance someone poached those Nilgai and made up some imaginary spoil islands that are public access...

Comment

Its a super grey area at best

I know people that have shot both whitetail and nilgai but there's zero chance of me making that trip.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                      Not sure where you got this secret information, but there is a chance someone poached those Nilgai and made up some imaginary spoil islands that are public access...
                      Nah it’s real spots, there are photos of people’s harvests.

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
                        Its a super grey area at best

I know people that have shot both whitetail and nilgai but there's zero chance of me making that trip.
                        Yeah I’ve heard the trip is grueling but I’m sure worth it!

Comment

Originally posted by Muddy Bud View Post
                          Those spoils are a pretty grey area. Not sure how accurate on X is with theses types of areas but I’d definitely verify with a local GW before making a trip.
                          Yeah we’re gunna make a trip down to meet with a GW to get some in person info.

Comment

There are areas of the bays where the general law of if the mean high tide covers it then it is public. The guy that used to be the onsite manager for Baffin Bay Inn found out the hard way that there are parts of the King Ranch that his rule does not apply. He had built some duck blinds and came out to find them all burned to the water line. After some court battle they found out the property line ran across the mouth of some of these back lakes...

So, be very careful down there, money strongly influenced how things were done back then to benefit the big land owners.

Comment

The spoil islands on the east side of the land cut is where most kill Nilgai. Easy to load on a no side Shallowsport, not so easy with a boat with sides.

Comment

Working...
                              X