No announcement yet.

2020-2021 LBJ Grasslands !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was able to get out and hunt all day yesterday. I thought with cooler temps, deer would be up moving. So I did a hang-n-hunt in the morning at a new spot on this piece I've never hunted. It was a smaller finger of timber west of a persimmon thicket. It was a north wind, I came in from the south and setup for the deer to come off the permissions and walk in front of me to the north (I had been getting does in there a bunch of mornings. Was hoping a buck would be in there after them). I setup just inside the timber in a very dinky tree. I realized if I had sat in the big tree I wanted, my shots would be straight down. So I opted for this small tree and only got one stick high. I had good back cover/high stem count and thought I could get drawn back before the deer could pick me off if they came from where I thought they would.

Come 9am and I start to get antsy, no deer sighted so far. So about 9:30 I decide I'm going to get down, go scout and figure out plan for the evening hunt. So I put my arrow in my quiver, hang the bow up, drop my pack and I'm about to start tearing down when I see a deer approaching from behind me (right shoulder to left shoulder). He's cutting south of the persimmons and traveling the downwind side of the bedding area. Quickly I'm able to knock an arrow, clip on and get turned but I had not planned for deer to come directly behind me and there was stems/branches everywhere. He walks briskly to my scent stream, stops at 10 yards and bolts off back where he came from. He had no idea I was there until he caught my wind. I have 2 pictures of this deer. If only those limbs hadn't been there!!!! Pretty cool hunt; he's not the biggest I have on camera but I would have gladly shot him. Looks like he has some cool character! This was my first buck encounter of the season! For some reason it won't let me load the 2nd pic.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
      I was able to get out and hunt all day yesterday. I thought with cooler temps, deer would be up moving. So I did a hang-n-hunt in the morning at a new spot on this piece I've never hunted. It was a smaller finger of timber west of a persimmon thicket. It was a north wind, I came in from the south and setup for the deer to come off the permissions and walk in front of me to the north (I had been getting does in there a bunch of mornings. Was hoping a buck would be in there after them). I setup just inside the timber in a very dinky tree. I realized if I had sat in the big tree I wanted, my shots would be straight down. So I opted for this small tree and only got one stick high. I had good back cover/high stem count and thought I could get drawn back before the deer could pick me off if they came from where I thought they would.

Come 9am and I start to get antsy, no deer sighted so far. So about 9:30 I decide I'm going to get down, go scout and figure out plan for the evening hunt. So I put my arrow in my quiver, hang the bow up, drop my pack and I'm about to start tearing down when I see a deer approaching from behind me (right shoulder to left shoulder). He's cutting south of the persimmons and traveling the downwind side of the bedding area. Quickly I'm able to knock an arrow, clip on and get turned but I had not planned for deer to come directly behind me and there was stems/branches everywhere. He walks briskly to my scent stream, stops at 10 yards and bolts off back where he came from. He had no idea I was there until he caught my wind. I have 2 pictures of this deer. If only those limbs hadn't been there!!!! Pretty cool hunt; he's not the biggest I have on camera but I would have gladly shot him. Looks like he has some cool character! This was my first buck encounter of the season! For some reason it won't let me load the 2nd pic.

Dang! Always when year least expect it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone know of the FB page for this area?

Comment

Originally posted by CJ7nvrstk View Post
          Anyone know of the FB page for this area?

Be sure and answer all three questions and agree to the rules.

Comment

When are the doe days. Need to know when to avoid

Comment

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
              When are the doe days. Need to know when to avoid
              Thanksgiving day through Sunday.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
                https://www.facebook.com/groups/1763066240400624

Be sure and answer all three questions and agree to the rules.
                Thanks!

Comment

i don't live near LBJ anymore , but my buddy does, hes got 3-4 nice bucks on camera...fun place to hunt...really miss the LBJ

Comment

Originally posted by ghostgoblin22 View Post
                    i don't live near LBJ anymore , but my buddy does, hes got 3-4 nice bucks on camera...fun place to hunt...really miss the LBJ

You ain’t missing nothing. LBJ is on the verge of being ruined. I think that Facebook page has a lot to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post
                      You ain’t missing nothing. LBJ is on the verge of being ruined. I think that Facebook page has a lot to do with it.

why so? just alot more traffic now? curious to know why?

Comment

Originally posted by Blood Trail View Post

That facebook page has nothing to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by RShockley View Post
                          That facebook page has nothing to do with it.
                          i don't think its just that but whats your thought on why its got so much traffic here lately ? i'm interested in what peoples thoughts are i know when i started looking into hunting public land and not knowing anything about it LBJ had a lot of pictures and a lot of talk so thats where i started

Comment

Originally posted by hogman$ View Post
                            i don't think its just that but whats your thought on why its got so much traffic here lately ? i'm interested in what peoples thoughts are i know when i started looking into hunting public land and not knowing anything about it LBJ had a lot of pictures and a lot of talk so thats where i started

I think more people are becoming more aware of public land hunting due YouTube platforms (The Hunting Public). I don’t have face book and started hunting lbj last year bc l lost my lease. But people just like to complain bc they think they own the place instead of making the best out of a bad situation, but I could be wrong [emoji848]. Plus, Texas is not known for walk in public hunting which already makes it tough, then add in the crowds. It’s a simple solution but it’s easier to complain; hunt during the week, don’t hunt in the same spot, hunt in different areas (lbj, caddo, amistad, pat mayse, etc) or go out of state, learn how to read a topo map and how it relates to deer movements and get creative. People either cannot or choose not to. I am just one opinion. Oh and just get along with people (other hunters), they are in the same situation.

Comment

Originally posted by hogman$ View Post
                              Due to the continued rise in costs associated with hunting on private property, leased or owned, a large number of people are being forced into hunting public. The internet as a whole, not just a single Facebook page, has made finding info on public lands extremely accessible. There is a large influx of hunters on LBJ because the surrounding areas are some of the largest growing areas in the state. As people continue to move into those areas over the coming years LBJ will continue to see more traffic. If anything, the Facebook group has helped spread good hunter etiquette making LBJ a better place. The group has even gone as far as setting up kind of a “how to hunt public land” class and also put a group together help out with the annual clean up day. I know several of the guys that run that group and they are great individuals that want nothing more than to improve the experience on LBJ and provide a place for people to share their experiences. It is designed to be more of an online deer camp and less of a place for internet scouting. Having met a lot of hunters from this group, with a few even becoming good friends and hunting buddies, I take exception to when others attempt to place sole blame on the group for things they don’t like on LBJ.

Comment

Originally posted by TradHunter View Post
                                I think more people are becoming more aware of public land hunting due YouTube platforms (The Hunting Public). I don’t have face book and started hunting lbj last year bc l lost my lease. But people just like to complain bc they think they own the place instead of making the best out of a bad situation, but I could be wrong [emoji848]. Plus, Texas is not known for walk in public hunting which already makes it tough, then add in the crowds. It’s a simple solution but it’s easier to complain; hunt during the week, don’t hunt in the same spot, hunt in different areas (lbj, caddo, amistad, pat mayse, etc) or go out of state, learn how to read a topo map and how it relates to deer movements and get creative. People either cannot or choose not to. I am just one opinion. Oh and just get along with people (other hunters), they are in the same situation.
                                Well said. I have managed to kill 2 mature bucks in 3 seasons on separate Texas public properties by doing exactly as you described above. I chose to not complain and change my tactics. Theres nothing stopping others from doing the same thing but, like you said, it is easier to just complain.

Comment

Working...
                                X