2020-2021 LBJ Grasslands !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
    Anyone have any luck this am? Zero deer sighted for me!
    Saw two very small doe at 7:30. Sayed in the spot till 11:00 and saw nothing more. Lots of hunters out there this year.

Comment

I’m in Florida wishing I was on the glasslands
      Anybody seeing or killing anything ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I only got to hunt Sat morning. Going to Fredericksburg next weekend for anniversary with my wife and then I'll be out the weekend of the 17th! I checked another spot and had some good doe and buck activity coming through there. So may be the spot for next time if the wind is right!

I follow the LBJ facebook page as well and didn't look like anything was killed off of there either.

Comment

Originally posted by Shaun View Post
          Saw two very small doe at 7:30. Sayed in the spot till 11:00 and saw nothing more. Lots of hunters out there this year.
          Shaun, I will have to check I just saw your message. Ill get back to you on that. This will be the first time i've hunted with buck shot or slugs for deer i am normally a bow or rifle guy, but with my shoulder injury from the military i just havent been able to feel comfortable bow hunting, and do not have the means to be able to afford a crossbow.

Comment

Two hunts in and I've gotten skunked so far. I hunted Wednesday afternoon and had a few deer bedded near the tree I had picked out but no deer on stand. I'll be back out next weekend, weather looks good!

Comment

First Impressions

Hey Everybody,

New to the forum and new to the grasslands. I've been pleasantly surprised by my first two hunts this year. I didn't expect much at all, considering the comparatively small amount of public land in Texas and the large amount of hunters. I was out opening weekend and decided to do an overnight stay last night for the evening/morning hunt. Two hunts and two deer spotted. Got spotted by a doe on opening weekend and had a clear shot at a buck today, but he was too small (inside the ears). Regardless, I'm super stoked that, despite there being a ton of hunters on the unit I'm focusing on, I'm still seeing some action and lots of good signs! Planning on branching out soon and exploring another unit.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSchwartz View Post
                Hey Everybody,

New to the forum and new to the grasslands. I've been pleasantly surprised by my first two hunts this year. I didn't expect much at all, considering the comparatively small amount of public land in Texas and the large amount of hunters. I was out opening weekend and decided to do an overnight stay last night for the evening/morning hunt. Two hunts and two deer spotted. Got spotted by a doe on opening weekend and had a clear shot at a buck today, but he was too small (inside the ears). Regardless, I'm super stoked that, despite there being a ton of hunters on the unit I'm focusing on, I'm still seeing some action and lots of good signs! Planning on branching out soon and exploring another unit.

Cool! Sounds good. Yeah explore away! I typically just try to ensure no vehicle are on whatever unit I want to hunt and scout as a hunt. Good luck!

Comment

Is it legal buck only out here and permit for doe from USFS or is just county regs?

Comment

Originally posted by HenryCattleCo View Post
                    Is it legal buck only out here and permit for doe from USFS or is just county regs?
                    Legal buck. Does during archery season and 4 days of Thanksgiving weekend. No permit required though.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank ya sir. Would designated roads be only those shown on the map? Or ones that have actual signage?

Comment

Originally posted by HenryCattleCo View Post
                        Thank ya sir. Would designated roads be only those shown on the map? Or ones that have actual signage?

From what I’ve seen, all the drivable roads will have green cattle guards and signage

Comment

Anyone have any luck yet? I went out for my first time last weekend. Hunted Sunday and didn't see anything, nothing Monday morning and find a big scrape Monday afternoon, ended up shooting a doe Monday afternoon. First public land deer.. little smaller than I would have liked but I let my parents have her.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm 0-4 so far, haven't seen a deer on stand yet. I'm not seeing a lot of buck sign either. Some rubs and small scrapes but the scrapes aren't really opening up just yet. I've got cameras on some primary scrapes and there are a few descent bucks coming through but no monsters yet. I'll be back at it Friday.
                            Last edited by troy_w_7; 10-18-2020, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by xZachTheRipper8 View Post
                              Anyone have any luck yet? I went out for my first time last weekend. Hunted Sunday and didn't see anything, nothing Monday morning and find a big scrape Monday afternoon, ended up shooting a doe Monday afternoon. First public land deer.. little smaller than I would have liked but I let my parents have her.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
                              Congrats on your first public land deer!

Comment

My annual update: went out camping and hunting last Tuesday thru Thursday.
                                Camped at Valley View and I was the only one there until Thursday afternoon when the horse people started showing up.
                                Seems they had some sort of organized trail ride scheduled for the weekend.

I don't hunt mornings just mid day thru dark. In 3 sits at 2 different spots I saw a total of 7 deer. 6 does and and a borderline barely legal 8 point- maybe 2 1/2 years old.
                                The does were pretty jumpy but the wind was gusting real bad on Tuesday and Wednesday so I don't blame them.

On the drive home early Friday afternoon coming thru the Grasslands, I noticed a lot more hunters than usual already out-which is why I go during the week.

Luck to all. Be safe. Pat

Comment

Working...
                                X