NX8 2.5-20 vs Mk5HD 3.6-18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NX8 2.5-20 vs Mk5HD 3.6-18

Looking at these two scopes to put on a kids/truck gun.

Anyone have both? Opinions? Glass about the same?

My issue with the MK5HD is the reticle options suck for a hunting/target rifle. Good glass, good turrets, and a reasonable sized package. The NX8 IMO has slightly better glass, much better reticles, and solid turrets as usual for a NF. Their issues are tight eyeboxes and finicky parallax. I owned the NX8 2.5-20 for about 6 months, and have a decent bit of time behind the MK5s. My conclusion was I’d just snag another ATACR 4-16 if I was in the market for another similar sized optic.

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
      My issue with the MK5HD is the reticle options suck for a hunting/target rifle. Good glass, good turrets, and a reasonable sized package. The NX8 IMO has slightly better glass, much better reticles, and solid turrets as usual for a NF. Their issues are tight eyeboxes and finicky parallax. I owned the NX8 2.5-20 for about 6 months, and have a decent bit of time behind the MK5s. My conclusion was I’d just snag another ATACR 4-16 if I was in the market for another similar sized optic.

What he said! I have a NX8, but the 4x32. Have had it for about 6 months myself. Love the scope. I'd pass on the ATACR myself, just to heavy for my liking, but if it was just for a bench gun I'd buy one.

Comment

Too much/too nice of scopes for a kids/truck gun IMO. I’d be looking much cheaper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Which reticle do you like in your NF for a hunting rig?

Comment

Originally posted by HTOWN View Post
            What he said! I have a NX8, but the 4x32. Have had it for about 6 months myself. Love the scope. I'd pass on the ATACR myself, just to heavy for my liking, but if it was just for a bench gun I'd buy one.
            Weight difference isn’t much between the 3.

Mk5 - 26oz
            NX8 - 28oz
            ATACR - 30oz

I was leaning toward the Mk5 because it is the lightest of the three. And I can usually get a pretty good deal on Leupold.

Comment

I’m exact opposite of rubbi on this. I’ve ran a mark 6 for years and have a mark 5 for the past year and a half. I love the tmr reticle for hunting. Ffp is a must for me and I believe the mark5 to be clearer then the nx8. Ginger trophy8 has my old nx8 he likes it I didn’t. The reticle is unusable at below 5x and was a huge turn off. Glass always had a halo for me also. I’d go mark5 but imma leupold
              Guy.

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
                I’m exact opposite of rubbi on this. I’ve ran a mark 6 for years and have a mark 5 for the past year and a half. I love the tmr reticle for hunting. Ffp is a must for me and I believe the mark5 to be clearer then the nx8. Ginger trophy8 has my old nx8 he likes it I didn’t. The reticle is unusable at below 5x and was a huge turn off. Glass always had a halo for me also. I’d go mark5 but imma leupold
                Guy.
                I was thinking the same thing with the TMR reticle. I figure it would be a good for kids since it’s not real busy.. but still usable for wind holds and such. Just wish illumination wasn’t an extra $4-500!

Comment

Originally posted by Silentnight View Post
                  Which reticle do you like in your NF for a hunting rig?
                  MILC although the MILXT isn’t horrible. It’s a tree reticle, but it seems to dissappear decently. The TMR of the Leupold leaves me wanting more even though I shot one for 7 years. The CCH doesn’t disappear for me, and I’m not a T3 or H59 fan at all.

The TMR isn’t a bad reticle for most, but I absolutely despise the dam thing.I ordered my MK6 the day they were released in 2013 as it checked a lot of boxes I required for a hunting/target optic. If Leupold offered a MK5 3.6-18 with a non tree reticle and .2 elevation and windage holds with a floating center dot I’d own one RFN. The TMR is the sole reason I won’t own a MK5. It’s a good optic otherwise.
                  Last edited by TX03RUBI; 05-03-2021, 03:21 AM.

Comment

I’m pretty much exactly with Anthony on this. Glass is near identical on both. Slight edge to NF as you’re looking through a 30mm tube with tighter eye box vs a 35mm tube and forgiving one.

I’m running the MilC in my 2-20 NX8. The 4-32 is trash. Had one. Hayes it. Reticle is wayyyyy too big on 32x. And way too small on 4x. Eye box was incredibly tight.

I loved my atacrs but felt myself wanting more than 16x on the bench. I hope those 20x atacrs get reasonably priced. I’d swap my kahles 624i for one in a hurry.

I’m still running one Mark 6. TMR c2 turret. It’s been on that rifle since I had it built 8 or so years ago. I’ve said for years I’m gonna upgrade it but haven’t yet lol.

Comment

MILC although the MILXT isn’t horrible. It’s a tree reticle, but it seems to dissappear decently. The TMR of the Leupold leaves me wanting more even though I shot one for 7 years. The CCH doesn’t disappear for me, and I’m not a T3 or H59 fan at all.

The TMR isn’t a bad reticle for most, but I absolutely despise the dam thing.I ordered my MK6 the day they were released in 2013 as it checked a lot of boxes I required for a hunting/target optic. If Leupold offered a MK5 3.6-18 with a non tree reticle and .2 elevation and windage holds with a floating center dot I’d own one RFN. The TMR is the sole reason I won’t own a MK5. It’s a good optic otherwise.

What are your thoughts on the PR-1MIL reticle that they offer now?
                      .2 windage and elevation with a floating dot.
                      Can get it illuminated or non illuminated

Comment

What are your thoughts on the PR-1MIL reticle that they offer now?
                        .2 windage and elevation with a floating dot.
                        Can get it illuminated or non illuminated

Well. Think that settles my upgrade for my mk6 lol. Ticks me off that they went 35mm though.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                          Well. Think that settles my upgrade for my mk6 lol. Ticks me off that they went 35mm though.
                          They just HAD to be different with the 35mm..

Comment

Weight difference isn’t much between the 3.

Mk5 - 26oz
                            NX8 - 28oz
                            ATACR - 30oz

I was leaning toward the Mk5 because it is the lightest of the three. And I can usually get a pretty good deal on Leupold.
                            You are correct.. I still had the larger scopes in my head when I made that post.

Comment

For the OP's intended purpose, I'd go with a Leupold but the vx5hd line with an illuminated reticle. The eyebox should be the most forgiving for a youngster and or for quick target acquisition out of a truck vs the options that are currently discussed.

If you want to stick with the popular ones on this thread, I'd go MK 5hd. I'm not a fan of the 2.5-20 NX8, didn't think the glass was all that great and the parallax always seemed to be finicky - not what you want for the discussed purpose by the OP.

*I have a Swarovski z6i on my truck gun/kid gun and it works great for that purpose - very forgiving eyebox, can set the parallax and it works for most scenarios out of a truck and the illuminated dot in the center helps my son get on target quickly. Something else to consider!

Comment

Working...
                              X