No announcement yet.

Do you like chiropractors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The best part about a Chiropractor is the massage.

I used to go as a kid for scoliosis. I didn’t mind the “adjustments” but I haven’t been as an adult. Now that I am able think logically as an adult, I can’t understand exactly what they do other than pop your back and neck. What are they actually doing to relieve or correct issues?

OP seems like this is a question that should have been asked before going to school to get into the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
      The best part about a Chiropractor is the massage.

I used to go as a kid for scoliosis. I didn’t mind the “adjustments” but I haven’t been as an adult. Now that I am able think logically as an adult, I can’t understand exactly what they do other than pop your back and neck. What are they actually doing to relieve or correct issues?

OP seems like this is a question that should have been asked before going to school to get into the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I know the reason for it all. I just wanted outside opinion/experiences with chiropractic outside of my circle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

There are scientific studies demonstrating that chiropractics can be an effective, legitimate treatment for back pain. I believe in the scientific process.
        That being said, I don't think chiropractics cures cancer.

Comment

Massage therapy also works for back pain.

Comment

My nephew is a chiropractor and he stays very busy with all the older folks that live in Goldthwaite. I have muscle spasms in my back from time to time and he is excellent at stopping these.

Comment

Originally posted by RyHolub View Post
              Yes and no. We take 4 radiology classes. The basics about radiology, the land marks and measurements, pathologies such as tumors/arthritis etc and I haven’t gotten to the 4th class yet. Of course the Chiropractic radiologists encourage you to X-ray and other doctors may say when they do. When we get to clinic/ residency, they only allow imaging if there is a history of trauma/fracture, pathology or something else. The clinics have a set list of indications for each area of the spine and extremities patients have to present with before imaging takes place. On the other hand, my out of school teacher takes x rays on every patient given they’re not pregnant etc. In school you’re mostly taught the information and somewhat how to adjust. You/ I as the future doctor has to take it upon yourself to learn how to be a good adjuster/doctor/practitioner on outside of school.

Does that answer the question?[emoji23]

Edit: some doctors may do light adjustments but typically most I have associated with wait until they take a detailed history/ x-rays and do a report of findings with the patient before proceeding with care.

I asked because I have had adjustments for lower back pain. My Chiro who got eaten by a shark was the only one who x-rayed me first. The others NEVER x-rayed me, and I wondered..."what if my pain was caused by a broken vertebrate"? They could do serious injury adjusting a spine that is broken. How do they know before they start cracking??? That is one reason I ike my non-force technique guy.

Comment

Originally posted by RyHolub View Post
                I can’t speak for other doctors, I would guess that the assessment is due to people experiencing trauma and not telling the doc so they continue to treat as they have done. Yet, it can do more harm than good if significant trauma has took place. I’m not sure how long the assessment takes and what it all entails for the extra $80.

I get what your saying and I agree with that. But in my situation he comes in the room and ask me if I’m still having the same problems and if I did anything different to cause pain. After that 45 second talk he aligns my back and pops my hip and sends in a girl to massage me. A full treatment with assessment and massage is 20mins. Yes I feel good when I leave but I just feel it’s a bit much paying $80 for the assessment and $40 for the treatment. And yet I still go 😊

Comment

Love mine, he’s a heal clicker and soft touch. He is amazing

Comment

Originally posted by AZ&F'sDaddy View Post
                    There are scientific studies demonstrating that chiropractics can be an effective, legitimate treatment for back pain. I believe in the scientific process.
                    That being said, I don't think chiropractics cures cancer.

I agree 100%. Chiropractic doesn’t cure a thing. But I fully believe it lets your nervous system which controls everything, function optimally.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                      I asked because I have had adjustments for lower back pain. My Chiro who got eaten by a shark was the only one who x-rayed me first. The others NEVER x-rayed me, and I wondered..."what if my pain was caused by a broken vertebrate"? They could do serious injury adjusting a spine that is broken. How do they know before they start cracking??? That is one reason I ike my non-force technique guy.

Well as I’ve mentioned before I can’t speak for other docs BUT the only logical way I could think of is through the history they take, they make the decision if it is necessary to irradiate a patient. I personally plan to x-ray 99% of my patients. But on the other hand, some doctors may not just because they don’t for whatever reason unless....? I think the non-force technique is something great and useful for a variety of patients but the key is for the doc to use whatever adjustments and techniques that best suit the patients comfort, biomechanics and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoyt Man View Post
                        I get what your saying and I agree with that. But in my situation he comes in the room and ask me if I’m still having the same problems and if I did anything different to cause pain. After that 45 second talk he aligns my back and pops my hip and sends in a girl to massage me. A full treatment with assessment and massage is 20mins. Yes I feel good when I leave but I just feel it’s a bit much paying $80 for the assessment and $40 for the treatment. And yet I still go [emoji4]

I gotcha. IMHO that sounds a little shady and a money grab. But who knows why people do what they do. I’ve pondered that a good while and still end up with the same answer “I don’t know”[emoji1787]. If he’s worth the money to you, GREAT! But I believe that if you do not have a good connection with your doc then your progress and healing suffers as well.

Comment

Doctors arnt big fans of them (I know because my grandpa, uncle, and aunt are doctors), but I do think some of them can work and with time main stream medicine will become more accepting of it. It doesnt help the man that created the whole concept of hand medicine was a liar and cheated people out of money. I think that really left a bad taste in most "medical professionals" mouths. However I hate to repeate myself but I really think it has changed and there is some benifits to using them. My dad went in for 5 weeks and swears it helped. My bestfriends is in Kansas City with 2 years left untill he is done with his school and is liscenced. Tough market up here in the midwest because there are still a bunch of old school doctors lol.

I think there would be some real benfit if doctors, PT and chiropratocers could get along.

Good luck!
                          Last edited by IOWA BOW HUNTER; 04-23-2021, 07:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by coonazz View Post
                            ^^^ This ^^^
                            Don't believe in them at all but do not fault people using "chiropractic medicine" practitioners for symptom relief. As others have said, it seems that massage is a big part of the pain relief.

Comment

Been on earth 75y...never had the pleasure of (bone crusher) so i'm in the neutral zone

Comment

Originally posted by IOWA BOW HUNTER View Post
                                Doctors arnt big fans of them (I know because my grandpa, uncle, and aunt are doctors), but I do think some of them can work and with time main stream medicine will become more accepting of it. It doesnt help the man that created the whole concept of hand medicine was a liar and cheated people out of money. I think that really left a bad taste in most "medical professionals" mouths. However I hate to repeate myself but I really think it has changed and there is some benifits to using them. My dad went in for 5 weeks and swears it helped. My bestfriends is in Kansas City with 2 years left untill he is done with his school and is liscenced. Tough market up here in the midwest because there are still a bunch of old school doctors lol.

I think there would be some real benfit if doctors, PT and chiropratocers could get along.

Good luck!

I 100% agree with you. If all medical professionals could work together, I think the country could be healthier. I began going to a chiropractor at the age of 13 and began going full time around 17 years old. Now I am 22 and see mine for a tune up every 2-3 weeks given I don’t have a fall or something as traumatic. Old school MDs definitely had a distaste for chiropractors but I agree I think the profession has made a change in direction for the better. I myself cannot fathom some of the claims all kinds of doctors make including chiros who think they can cure said disease. I too have 2 years left of school and I only believe in it because I’ve seen it work first hand on myself and a multitude of other patients.

Comment

Working...
                                X