No announcement yet.

Meat chickens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As far as how we process. I knock off the heads and then dunk them into a turkey fryer filled with water that's (if I recall) 148-154 degrees. I hold them by the feet, dunk them twice an wipe the feathers off. Open up the cavity, pull out the stuff, keep the gizzard/liver/heart and then into a vacuum bag they go. Others I'll skin and quarter. The skinning is much much easier but nothing beats the skin on fried chicken.

Richard.

Comment

That vid shows a slick setup

Comment

Check out Murray McMurray hatchery.

Comment

Originally posted by elgato View Post
          Check out Murray McMurray hatchery.
          I have used these folks multiple times over the years keeping ducks in the ponds. I finally got tired of feeding the varmints and gave up replenishing their winter diets.

Comment

Bumping this to the top. Started this thread over a year ago and learned a lot. Decided to give it a small go. Went off to tractor supply and grabbed 12 Cornish and for some reason came home with 2 ducks as well.. got a coop outside and they'll be in there in the next week or so..

still trying to decide if im going to spend the 400 on the chicken plucker, do it by hand, or take them to the local butcher..

Comment

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post
              Bumping this to the top. Started this thread over a year ago and learned a lot. Decided to give it a small go. Went off to tractor supply and grabbed 12 Cornish and for some reason came home with 2 ducks as well.. got a coop outside and they'll be in there in the next week or so..

still trying to decide if im going to spend the 400 on the chicken plucker, do it by hand, or take them to the local butcher..
              Your aren't in South Texas are you? I've got a good plucker you could try out. Once you use one, you won't want to go without.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Canoe1 View Post
                Your aren't in South Texas are you? I've got a good plucker you could try out. Once you use one, you won't want to go without.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
                I appreciate the offer, but unfortunately, i'm a long way from south texas. Thanks again tho!

Comment

Just bought 50 from Murray McMurray that are going thru the brooder.Once feathered out they will move to the pasture to be moved daily in the broiler tractor. Fresh organic chickens for the year. Better than anything ever at the grocery or the best restaurant.

Comment

Bush's Chicken is cheap and easy as far as I'm concerned. My dad use to raise 80 thousands birds at a time and not interested in raising them when someone else can do it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                      Bush's Chicken is cheap and easy as far as I'm concerned. My dad use to raise 80 thousands birds at a time and not interested in raising them when someone else can do it for me.

Comment

Go to your local park and get you about 30 Muscovy duck eggs and hatch them in an incubator. They get over 10 pounds and are very tasty. I have like 20 right now that I hatched last year. Taste like a Canada goose to me.

Comment

I also have quail. Chickens make to much noise...lol

Comment

Best deal I've found was buying 15 broilers from an ag student. 5 bucks each butchered and vacuum sealed

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

we're raising broilers for our local show next week. 1st timers. almost done!
                              started with 50 to show 6.

trying to decide on plucking or skinning for processing day. really leaning on skinning. but as an alternative to the plucker cement mixer, i saw these on amazon
                              https://www.amazon.com/Plucker-Chick...%2C144&sr=8-15

Comment

Great thread! And now I'm hungry.

Comment

Working...
                                X