No announcement yet.

Considering a rifle for my boys for Christmas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A 6.5 Grendel, 6.5 Creedmoor, 6.8 SPC, 7mm-08, a 300 Ham"r, would all be good choices. A Howa 1500 either a mini in 6.5 Grendel, 6.8 SPC, maybe the 300 Ham'r or a short action in one of the other calibers would be good choices.

Or you might resort to older calibers such as the 250 Savage or 300 Savage. A 357 Maximum or a 350 Legend would also be good choices.

Comment

I put together Encores in 270 Win for my youngest son when he was 9 and a pink one for my daughter when she was 10. They shoot factory Winchester Supreme 140 gr Accubond ammo. My son is now 28 and my daughter is 17, and they’re still hunting with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
        6mm Creed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        6 Creed is just a more versatile and modern 243. They have faster twists barrels from the factory, so they’ll handle the lighter 70 gr loads just fine, but they really shine with 100-110 gr loads when you need a bit more a** behind it.

Comment

25.06- I killed a ton of deer with it and it’s great for the age you are talking about.

Comment

Hate to admit but a 6.5 creedmore is hard to beat for your use. Also consider a 7-08. I love the .308. absolutely my favorite round.

Comment

I appreciate all the advice and I think the rifles are going to have to be a next year thing.. seems prices are a smidge outta budget for this year on the rifles.

Comment

I love the 708. Browning Micro Midas can be bought and then upgraded to a full size stock. And the reduced recoil loads are super too. All that said, watch the twist rate. Older 708’s have a 1:10 twist that won’t stabilize Hornady’s 150 eldx rounds. 1:9.5 seems to, but I would probably look for a 1:9.

Comment

.243. Less recoil and shoots flatter than either the 7/08 or the .308. Kills Texas game just as dead. Ammo is easy to get. Lots of calibers would work, of course, but not many check all the boxes like the .243 does...

Comment

308 and don't look back. We have had nothing but, good luck with my sons 308 and has been the easiest bullets to find the past few years

Comment

I went with a 20" 6.5CM for my 7yr old daughter...Its an awesome little gun and the recoil is nonexistent with a suppressor

Comment

Originally posted by Mex. Bowhunter View Post
                        308 and don't look back. We have had nothing but, good luck with my sons 308 and has been the easiest bullets to find the past few years
                        Agree with you.

1/2 way into building my youngest son his 308. He's been great and growing with his 243.

This will be his transition and keep him legal in other states as he goes for bigger game than whitetail.

Comment

25-06

Comment

Light recoil, availability of factory ammo...tough to beat the 6.5 Creed

Comment

708 just got my 11 y o one have been very impressed first 2 shots a dead doe and pig

Comment

Originally posted by TX CHICKEN View Post
                                I would seriously consider 6.5 creedmoor. Tons of ammo available and plenty of power to kill everything in Texas.

^^ this. No kick, and long range is an option. I've had a 250-3000 for my first and still use it to this day, I'm 54. I built a long range off a Tika 3 and have shot to 1000 yards with it in 6.5CM. Kill deer dead where they stood out to 500 yrds with it.. My son just came home from being deployed and absolutely loves the gun.

Comment

Working...
                                X