Pulling porcupine quills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulling porcupine quills

Any advice on corse of action? Grab pliers and go to town or get him sedated by a vet? Thanks in advance

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

ouch! if you know your vet and theyll give you an honest answer, maybe give them a call and get their opinion. thats the free first step id do

Comment

I've been told you have to cut the quills to let the air out of them and they'll pull right out. Never had to try it though, could be an old wives tale.

Comment

Old coon hunting buddy carried shots to put his dogs under while they pulled them up north.

Comment

Yes, cut the quills and then pull them. I pulled some from a hog dog once. After that he was deathly afraid of a pair of pliers. For real.

Comment

Worked for a vet in Big Spring before I headed to A&M- didn't even know there were porcupines anywhere in the area. Had several ranchers bring dogs in to remove quills. We always sedated them and just pull with pliers.

Comment

Pulled them from cow, coon, and hog dogs just like this.

[ame="https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hr2E0iP07U4"]Removing Porcupine Quills - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Go to the vet. Quills are barbed and very painful. Also don't want to miss one as they will continue to work its way deeper.

Comment

Calling our vet now seeing what they say

Comment

Had no idea we had porcupine in Johnson county!

Comment

That sucks. I have just let my vet deal with them. I’ve heard that if you clip the far end it helps for removing

Comment

Man. poor dog.

Comment

All vets are full. They all recommend the vet er. Here we go$$$ lol

Comment

Bring him to our clinic here in Whitney. We can do it.

Comment

It's gonna hurt no matter how you do it if you do it yourself. I'd take it to the vet. The thing is if you miss one it'll work its way clear through to the other side. If it's in a bad spot it could kill that dog.

Comment

Working...
                              X