No announcement yet.

Mature deer aging on the hoof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As others have said history is key. I personally stopped trying to pin down an exact age. They're either young, middle aged or mature. For our management program not much else matters.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

There is not a way to successfully age on the hoof post-mature. The problem is that many characteristics begin to recede or regress back to levels more consistent with prior years (eg. muscle mass, weight, antler characteristics, etc.). Of the antler measurements, mass (basal circumference) is the most consistent indicator, but is highly variable between deer, meaning that its usefulness is questionable. As far as body characteristics, only skeletal measurements would not recede, but again, that would be hard to evaluate deterministically.

Comment

Originally posted by roysmoke View Post
        The best way you're really going to be able to tell the deer's age is to keep records of them and follow them when they're young. I have several deer on my lease right now that are 8.5 and look 4.5 but I know their history. Otherwise you're just making the best educated guess you can in my opinion.
        I agree with this - have been on our south texas lease for 15 years and we utilize trail camera pics (both still and video) to identify our bucks and track them over the years. New bucks will show up occasionally but most of the time we are able to keep up with age this way

We have had 200 inch deer that were 6-8 years old that had the body that looked like a doe. Also have had older deer that were built like a tank - just like humans their characteristics vary from deer to deer

Comment

I go a lot by the face. Using a spotting scope for a close up view will tell you a lot of things. Sagging ears, loose skin, length of nose, among other indications. The eyes always tell a story. Pay attention to how the deer walks. Arthritis isn't just for humans. Old deer don't have the fluid gate of a younger one. Check for wear on the hide at the knees.

My South Texas ranch has a good number of old deer. I usually have a good idea how old most of them are. But there are subtle differences that can help you may an educated guess when the deer are in the 5.5-10.5 age category.

As far as tooth aging. In my experience it will get you within 3.5 years of the actual age.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
            Kill him and get his teeth aged. Then you will really be confused.
            Boy ain't that the truth. The problem with our deer is 2 body types. Some 6 year Olds weight 150 and some weight 225. It's easy on the 225 deer. Oh don't even start on post rut deer

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
              We have had 200 inch deer that were 6-8 years old that had the body that looked like a doe.
              I recall one I shot that was just like that. His nickname was "cigar body". He was only a 190 though. Might be something to the small body big antlers.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
                I go a lot by the face. Using a spotting scope for a close up view will tell you a lot of things. Sagging ears, loose skin, length of nose, among other indications. The eyes always tell a story. Pay attention to how the deer walks. Arthritis isn't just for humans. Old deer don't have the fluid gate of a younger one. Check for wear on the hide at the knees.

My South Texas ranch has a good number of old deer. I usually have a good idea how old most of them are. But there are subtle differences that can help you may an educated guess when the deer are in the 5.5-10.5 age category.

As far as tooth aging. In my experience it will get you within 3.5 years of the actual age.
                This was more along the lines of what I was looking for. I guess really I was just wondering if there is anything in particular I was missing on the 5-8 yr range without having history. Doesn't look like there is. I know all hoof aging is a guess at best without history, but I do think there are things that can get us close with lots of study time.

Sent from my SM-F721U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mitchell8 View Post

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
                    This was more along the lines of what I was looking for. I guess really I was just wondering if there is anything in particular I was missing on the 5-8 yr range without having history. Doesn't look like there is. I know all hoof aging is a guess at best without history, but I do think there are things that can get us close with lots of study time.

Sent from my SM-F721U using Tapatalk
                    Well I can't do it. I have studied deer for many years. Thousands of pics per year. I have crazy amounts of history. I look at those deer and I'm amazed how poor I am at aging fully mature deer without history. I have had a dozen over 10yrs old. Who would have guessed it? Then we kill known 9 year olds with 5 yr old teeth...

Comment

I would call that mature and he would be on the hit list for some one.

It's so hard to get people to shoot deer like that. Every one is afraid of being chastised. They act like if you take one 4 yr old out on accident trying to learn the deer hunting as we know it will end. LoL

Once we learned to identify those deer we have taken quite a few like that people passed because of the racks and got old as sin. My son has shot 2 with not much for horns but were dang near having to gum their food.

They have become my favorite now because we will bust them first thing and take them for links or sausage. They are usually big deer and make a lot of meet.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X