Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

28 Nosler thoughts

Hey all,
    What is everyone's thoughts and experience with the 28 Nosler. Getting the itch for a new rifle and don't want to wait for the 7mm PRC.

Thanks,
    -M

My 2cents great caliber, but it has down fails.

I love my braked 26” but even ear plugs it rings.

My next 28nos will be sub 7lb 22” w/a TI suppressor.

I don’t love the 195 bergers(deep nose cavity makes them explosive) and after my barrel speeds up I’ll might move to 180 vld

Comment

It's a great round.

In general I feel like the nosler rounds are near perfect in design and capacity for their intended purposes. BUT they suffer from poor marketing and perhaps less than ideal freebore for heavies with a sammi reamer. They also suffer from limited factory rifle clambering.

They now suffer from compition with the 30 prc case which has better freebore and backed by the hornady marketing machine. The prc does nothing special imo but if you don't hand load they're known for great quality and reasonably priced ammo.

I was contemplating the 28 nosler about four years ago and went with the 30 nosler instead. It has similar balastics with a 215-230 berger and those two have been extensively documented on LRH and LRO as certified bad medicine for elk. Plus a little more barrel life...not much but a little is nice.

I still had an itch to shoot something with 7mm 180s so I added a light weight 7 saum to the safe last year. It has not disappointed.

I will add that the 30 nos sammi spec is perfect for 215-245 bergers but non vld ogive bullets will be seated much deeper in the case. My 7 saum has a .195 freebore and needs it for heavy vlds or you'll loose considerable case capacity.

Pictured below is a 230 and 180 hybrid.

Both APR built rifles are shooting hybrids to 1 inch at 300 yards consistently.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Slick8; 09-18-2022, 01:13 PM.

Comment

I’ve been hunting panhandle mule deer with the 28 nosler for the last 3 seasons and it hasn’t disappointed. It really shines with the long/heavy high bc bullets. I’m sure your aware of the barrel life, but it’s not much of a issue with a hunting rifle. Loaded ammo has been really scarce the last couple of years, so be prepared for that if you don’t reload, if you do reload reloder 33 is the go to in the 28nosler.

Comment

I had Cooper build me a 26 nosler back in 2016, I shot it one season with mixed results.
          I never could get a good accurate load worked up. I sent it back to Cooper and had them set me up with a 28 nosler. I couldn’t be more pleased. I send a 175 grain burger at 3100fps, and it rolls the animals.

Comment

Good round.
            IMO you’re better off with a .30 PRC at this point.

Comment

How far are you going to be shooting? If I was to buy a .284 caliber, it would be a 280 Remington or a 7mm STW. But I reload and don't plan on shooting beyond a few yards at this point.

LWD

Comment

My 7 mag with a bore rider was built for the nosler was a thing. 180 Berger at 3075 fps. It hammers critters. I’ve shot multiple 28 Noslers and all performed very well. Run heavy bullets and it’s a wonderful caliber. Lots of power and in the right package an easy mile plus gun.

Comment

Pm sent about southpaw stuff--

Loved my 7RUM but it was a 1-9 and never ran heavies, if loaded ammo isn't around then you better stock up on components or find a place like Unknown or other to load you up for the 28NOS.

Have had 3 different 7RM and never liked them-- not enough buck for the 'BANG' IMO-- they were lighter models.

My 7saum is awesome- a bit loud (22") but lots to offer for less 'bang' but again- better handload or call Unknown.

If I would build a new rifle for factory ammo to shoot long or bigger critters I'm going 30NOS or 300RUM.

Comment

Like said above, 28 Nos is a great round especially if your goal is large animals at substantial distances. But, I think there are several 7mm cartridges that offer a better total package.

I just had McWhorter build me a 7sprc. I am getting just over 2900 fps with a 175 eldx out of a 23” bbl and with a LOT less recoil and muzzle blast compared to what the 28 Nos will have.

Comment

Hey all,
                      Do to some comments and PMs...this is a complete and total unnecessary purchase. This rifle will probably see 5/10 shots a year and will be my 'no questions asked' enough gun for elk, mule deer, whitetail, (and hopefully Oryx...assuming I win a draw). I'm completely in love with my 6.5 Creed, 257 Weatherby, 22-250. So this is gratuitous in the truest sense of the word.

Comment

Originally posted by MitchParker View Post
                        Hey all,
                        Do to some comments and PMs...this is a complete and total unnecessary purchase. This rifle will probably see 5/10 shots a year and will be my 'no questions asked' enough gun for elk, mule deer, whitetail, (and hopefully Oryx...assuming I win a draw). I'm completely in love with my 6.5 Creed, 257 Weatherby, 22-250. So this is gratuitous in the truest sense of the word.

IMO the 28 Nosler is the best all around 7mm cartridge there is; and it’s even better if you handload and have a custom reamer built.

But for your stated purposes I’d step up to the 30 Nosler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I’m waiting for the 7PRC

Comment

Originally posted by MitchParker View Post
                            Hey all,
                            Good info.

Do you handload and what's the max range you're comfortable with?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

I've had my 28 nosler for around 3 years and I absolutely love it!

Comment

Working...
                              X